Following on from yesterday's webchat on adoption with Oona King and Jeffrey Coleman, we've been asked by No.10 to find out a bit more about your thoughts on adoption and fostering.
This isn't a formal consultation, but a 'national conversation' that will be used to gather views for the policy people at the Department for Education and is party of a wider programme of activities for the national Give a Child a Home campaign.
Please feel free to post your thoughts on any issue relating to adoption or fostering, but in particular we've been asked about the following questions:
- What more might be done to help speed up the adoption process for babies in the care system?
- How might potential adopters and foster carers be matched with children more quickly?
- How could support for foster carers better reflect and support the valuable work they do?
- How can we improve the quality of support provided in children's homes?
- How might foster or adoption placements be made more stable? For example, use of respite care.
- Leaving care can feel like a cliff edge for young people. What might a better package of support for care leavers look like?