My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Robot Vacuum Cleaners

78 replies

dragonseal · 04/11/2023 20:49

Do you have one? Is it good? I have so many questions!

Is it noisy? Can it handle being upstairs in the day and downstairs at night? Does it fall down the stairs? How often do you empty it? Do you run it every day? Does it do the corners of the room?

OP posts:
Soupdragonandme · 05/11/2023 17:41

whensmynexthol1day · 04/11/2023 21:38

Do they bang into/ scrape along the edges of furniture? We've just had a beautiful painted kitchen put in but it won't tolerate anything banging/ scraping?

Yes, my Rumba has scored all my new skirting boards. But he’s 4 years old so the new ones may not have this design flaw.

whensmynexthol1day · 05/11/2023 17:42

@Soupdragonandme ouch. That makes me very sad! Would be easy enough for them to fit some sort of padding you'd think?

NoNameisGoodEnough · 05/11/2023 18:30

I love the names of these! Ours is named but everyone knows his name and it would out me so I won't say but I love him even though he likes to get stuck under the cupboard.

ChickenJeffrey · 05/11/2023 18:40

I have an eufy 30C he's great at cleaning but his sense of direction is shit. When I tell him to go home he just meanders around until he happens to finds the charger.
My husband cleans his bin daily and has to clean the brush once a week or so due to many cats, my hair and wool.

GoodOldEmmaNess · 05/11/2023 18:44

InTheRainOnATrain · 05/11/2023 16:51

Same! We had one killed by sunlight because it was literally a vampire and their response was it’s a known fault so they gave us a refund.

Meanwhile the irobot roomba (we have the self emptying i7) has been flawless. 3 years in and I just replaced the wheels as the treads had worn down but that’s been it.

Really very alarmed to read about the Eufy vampire glitch. Ours is a Eufy. Will I wake to find this cheery little creature on the bed sucking at my neck?

GingerLiberalFeminist · 05/11/2023 19:04

We have a bagotte robovac, Roberta, who is great. She has a drop sensor so doesn't fall down stairs. She also has a mop function which is amazing.

Not too noisy, we often have her going when we watch TV. The baby does chase her a bit.

My only caution is she can't get into tight spaces, so I use our Henry once week to do the awkward odds and sods.

GingerLiberalFeminist · 05/11/2023 19:10

NB we don't have pets but DH does moan that Roberta picks up my hair.

With the mop we just put it in wash/dishwasher after use. Easy.

Roberta probably cries for help once a round, but thats usually because something got left out.

Programmable and phone control.

UndercoverCop · 05/11/2023 19:18

We have a Eufy, I love him. He does the hall, dining room, morning room and living room at 7:00 every evening while we are doing bedtime/wiping down the kitchen etc and he does the kitchen every morning after breakfast (step down to the kitchen). I do let him have a roam about upstairs now and then but I have a very large bed with just about enough space under it for a flattened cat and whatever he's stolen, but not a human, so I have to get a big stick to wave out any debris before he can go under there and I'm lazy.

I still hoover properly once a week to get behind furniture, the top of the skirting etc. I love going on holiday and coming back and he's had a week to clean and no one to make a mess.

He was also a very useful tidy up tool for a toddler, "oh no help me pack all of these trains away Eufy will be out to do his job soon", worked a treat.

InTheRainOnATrain · 05/11/2023 19:33

GoodOldEmmaNess · 05/11/2023 18:44

Really very alarmed to read about the Eufy vampire glitch. Ours is a Eufy. Will I wake to find this cheery little creature on the bed sucking at my neck?

🤣 In fairness this was not in the UK, the sun used to reflect off the willis Sears tower in a direct line into my kitchen and it was ridiculously bright. In my classic London Victorian terrace I reckon it would have been fine as the light conditions are perfect for even the most bloodthirsty vampires!

BunnyNumNum · 05/11/2023 19:35

We live in a 4 storey townhouse. I realise a room mapping one probably couldn’t cope with being carried up and down. Can anyone recommend a good one that needs to clean 4 floors with different but similar layouts?

InTheRainOnATrain · 05/11/2023 19:39

BunnyNumNum · 05/11/2023 19:35

We live in a 4 storey townhouse. I realise a room mapping one probably couldn’t cope with being carried up and down. Can anyone recommend a good one that needs to clean 4 floors with different but similar layouts?

Our roomba i7 can map different floors. It’s in the app somehow (DH did it). We technically have 5 floors since our 1st and 2nd floors are both split levels so even though it’s 3 steps to a human the roomba counts it as a separate levels.

lorrylorryvanvan · 05/11/2023 19:57

We have a cheapie eufy. Was about £190 and maps his way around the house. He pops out at 9:20am on a weekday and twice on a weekend. Then takes himself back home for a rest. We got the eufy self empty station separately (£150) so that it empties itself and I just empty the bag every couple of months.

Also got me in the habit of generally clearing toys etc daily so that Hoovey can get out and have a good feast. It has really helped keep the kitchen/family room areas much cleaner. We have hard floor and some rugs and handles all those fine.

.... does sometime get a bit cocky and ends up getting itself stuck under the sofa! But the app sends me a little notification and points out on the house map where Hoovey is so I can go rescue it!

Noise wise it is much much quieter than our corded shark vacuum.

GoodOldEmmaNess · 05/11/2023 20:15

lol at the flattened cat and its accumulated thievingsHalloween Grin

CornedBeef451 · 06/11/2023 08:05

I have a Eufy and I love him. I hate hoovering so this is the first time the floors looks tolerably clean with 4 cats and 2 DCs.

I don't have high standards so find the eufy is enough for the main floors, I just use the hand held for anywhere it doesn't fit.

Unfortunately my cats barely notice it, I was really hoping at least one would ride on it.

It is a bit dramatic, it messages me when it gets stuck or it's tired and it does seem to be obsessed with getting under the tv stand where it doesn't quite fit. It also humps the base of the cat scratching pole and there is one radiator it can't resist hurling itself under to get trapped but rescuing it is a small price to pay for cleaner floors.

You do have to move things but I now have a 30 second routine for each room and it's a good way to make sure things don't get left lying around as the eufy will eat them.

CornedBeef451 · 06/11/2023 09:00

This is my living room this morning with the eufy and 2 out of 4 cats.

Robot Vacuum Cleaners
whoami24601 · 08/11/2023 19:27

Anyone have the eufy g30? It's on offer in b and m and I'm tempted...

IrresponsiblyCertainAboutSexualDimorphism · 08/11/2023 19:40

I have a Roomba that copes admirably with three floors. It refuses to believe the downstairs loo exists (although it cleans it fine), sometimes goes on a little diversion on the wrong side of the wall that divides the kitchen from the utility, and has recently developed an unwholesome relationship with the rocking chair’s right rocker, but is otherwise a huge asset. I also have a Braava that bimbles around making happy noises and occasionally wedges itself under the sofa but cleans pretty well.

They don’t clean right into the corners but I have a Baby Shark and some old fashioned cloths for that.

Shadesofscarlett · 08/11/2023 19:43

Roombas are fab - mine is 7 years old now. I wanted to retire him and buy the new Roomba which empties itself and has the app, but he just keeps on going doing his thing. I may retire him to upstairs and buy the new fancy one for downstairs. My daughter has the mop too - it is v good. the floors shine. Roomba goes round at lunch time then when that is finished the mop sets off and does his thing.

Floopdifloo · 24/11/2023 17:46

How do they cope with floor length curtains? Not the kind that drape on the floor, but hanging to a cm or so above the floor. Is that asking for trouble?

Chasingsquirrels · 24/11/2023 17:49

Floopdifloo · 24/11/2023 17:46

How do they cope with floor length curtains? Not the kind that drape on the floor, but hanging to a cm or so above the floor. Is that asking for trouble?

Mine basically touch the floor, no issues with the robovac.

Robot Vacuum Cleaners
whoami24601 · 24/11/2023 20:07

Have you all seen amazon have a massive sale on robot vacs? We've just ordered a eufy. Delivery tomorrow cant wait 😁

SausageAndEggSandwich · 25/11/2023 08:50

Love my eufy. Definitely helps me keep the house cleaner

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

NectarinesAreNotTheOnlyFruit · 25/11/2023 09:58
NoCloudsAllowed · 25/11/2023 10:17

I have an ageing fairly cheap eufy. I wouldn't be without it but it's not the answer to all things!

It is good for dust and hair, but doesn't always pick up larger bits so you still need a trad hoover to do a once over every now and then. And to do skirting boards, corners, hard to reach bits.

Depending how tidy you are, there's a bit of prep to clear the floor and get wires and anything dangling out of the way.

The battery doesn't last that long, I let mine go until it conks out but sometimes that happens in an inconvenient place like under the bed.

I wouldn't leave it unsupervised, it does fairly often get stuck on things and needs to be freed. Never falls downstairs.

We have an ongoing moth problem and it's a big help to be able to get under beds and sofa. I empty it every time or the chamber becomes a moth farm 😖

If it died I'd probably get another slightly more sophisticated one.

NoCloudsAllowed · 25/11/2023 10:18

Oh and obv it doesn't do stairs

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.