My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Is this restaurant taking the mick, or are we just naive?

235 replies

IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads · 01/07/2023 22:13

DH had a £100 voucher for a local restaurant.

We went tonight and ate/drank £76 on food and drink.

They initially refused to give us change (fine, I wasn't expecting cash change), or a smaller voucher for what we hadn't spent/ annotation on the original voucher for what we had left.

They did finally give us cash change as a goodwill gesture since we were unaware (doesn't say anything on their website or on the voucher).

Is this normal? They've been paid £100 for the voucher, they were essentially planning on picketing £24 that they'd been paid.

Or should be have forced ourselves to have had another bottle of wine ?🤣

I've never had a restaurant voucher before, but a local bookshop just writes on their vouchers how much you have left to spend if you don't spend it all at once.

OP posts:
Usernamen · 02/07/2023 14:05

I must live in a very different UK from some of the people on this thread 😂

Never seen a barmaid be tipped in all my years drinking in pubs. I’m sent all over the country with work and never seen hotel staff be tipped/expect a tip. Also, a friend worked in a very nice hotel (nicer than the ones work let me stay in!) and no one tipped any of the staff. It just isn’t the done thing. Where would you even leave a tip for a hotel cleaner? There are no envelopes like there are in America and the Caribbean. I’ve had everything from a large fridge to a king size bed delivered to my 3rd floor flat and no delivery men have expected a tip. I could go on.

It’s a world away from countries with a tipping culture.

jellyminelli · 02/07/2023 14:09

"Countries with tipping culture also have service charges- what a silly thing to say. Go to any restaurant in NYC, LA or DC and there’s a service charge."

That's the tip ffs 🤦🏽‍♀️ you don't add 20% on top of the 20% on the bill. You're desperate to be right but I'm afraid you've misunderstood 😅

Talia99 · 02/07/2023 14:19

Blossomtoes · 02/07/2023 13:15

Barmaids have been tipped for decades, I certainly was when I had a pub job in the 80s. Do you not tip the chambermaids when you have a week’s holiday? Most people do.

Speaking as someone who worked as a chambermaid all through university, no, most people don’t.

I can count the times I got tips on the fingers of one hand, although this does include the time an entire Japanese tour group had obviously discussed it and all left exactly the same (generous) amount in exactly the same place in the room.

I’m fairly sure all the other tips were from foreign tourists too.

XiCi · 02/07/2023 14:26

Never seen a barmaid be tipped in all my years drinking in pubs. I’m sent all over the country with work and never seen hotel staff be tipped/expect a tip. Also, a friend worked in a very nice hotel (nicer than the ones work let me stay in!) and no one tipped any of the staff. It just isn’t the done thing. Where would you even leave a tip for a hotel cleaner? There are no envelopes like there are in America and the Caribbean. I’ve had everything from a large fridge to a king size bed delivered to my 3rd floor flat and no delivery men have expected a tip. I could go on.

You must walk round with your eyes closed lol. You've never heard anyone say take your own in a bar? No chance, don't believe you sorry. Very common to tip bar staff.

Usernamen · 02/07/2023 14:29

XiCi · 02/07/2023 14:26

You must walk round with your eyes closed lol. You've never heard anyone say take your own in a bar? No chance, don't believe you sorry. Very common to tip bar staff.

You can choose not to believe me all you like. That’s your business. But I have never, ever heard this.

SoSoSoSo · 02/07/2023 14:29

Where would you even leave a tip for a hotel cleaner?

On pretty much any available surface in the hotel room. Take your pick.

Blossomtoes · 02/07/2023 14:35

Never seen a barmaid be tipped in all my years drinking in pubs.

Never heard a customer say “And have one yourself, love”?

no one tipped any of the staff. It just isn’t the done thing. Where would you even leave a tip for a hotel cleaner?

It’s absolutely the “done thing” in 5* hotels. The porter who shows you to your room hovers until you stump up. You leave the chambermaid’s tip on the dressing table when you leave.

Usernamen · 02/07/2023 14:40

Blossomtoes · 02/07/2023 14:35

Never seen a barmaid be tipped in all my years drinking in pubs.

Never heard a customer say “And have one yourself, love”?

no one tipped any of the staff. It just isn’t the done thing. Where would you even leave a tip for a hotel cleaner?

It’s absolutely the “done thing” in 5* hotels. The porter who shows you to your room hovers until you stump up. You leave the chambermaid’s tip on the dressing table when you leave.

We’ve gone from “most people” tip hotel chambermaids to “5 hotels”. Last time I looked most hotels were not 5.

See post above from someone who was a hotel chambermaid.

You’re mistaking what you personally do to what most of the rest of the country does.

AtomicBlondeRose · 02/07/2023 14:46

This thread might prompt a boost in Gregg’s voucher sales as far from being joyless, my DD would be delighted with one. She’s 9 and actually asked to spend her pocket money on a ham and cheese baguette today as she thinks they’re the best thing in the world (and yes I did tell her you could buy a baguette, ham and cheese and make half a dozen for the same price but no, it has to be Gregg’s).

jellyminelli · 02/07/2023 15:13

"You must walk round with your eyes closed lol. You've never heard anyone say take your own in a bar? No chance, don't believe you sorry. Very common to tip bar staff."

Nah, not at all anymore. And it was always the same blokes that offered a drink even 20 years ago and I worked all kinds of bars. The busy ones you get fuck all, locals pubs you'd have maybe 2 drinks on at the end of the night. Not very common at all.

jellyminelli · 02/07/2023 15:14

"It’s absolutely the “done thing” in 5* hotels. The porter who shows you to your room hovers until you stump up. You leave the chambermaid’s tip on the dressing table when you leave."

Chambermaid? What fucking century are you in? 😂 I leave mine a greggs sausage roll, just the crumbs

Blossomtoes · 02/07/2023 15:16

jellyminelli · 02/07/2023 15:14

"It’s absolutely the “done thing” in 5* hotels. The porter who shows you to your room hovers until you stump up. You leave the chambermaid’s tip on the dressing table when you leave."

Chambermaid? What fucking century are you in? 😂 I leave mine a greggs sausage roll, just the crumbs

Same century as you. Just in a better class hotel.

Firecarrier · 02/07/2023 15:21

ReleasetheCrackHen · 01/07/2023 22:16

No tip?

Why should you tip people for doing a job they've chosen and are paid to do?

Do you tip all low paid people you interact with? We both know the answer is no.

Myself and almost everyone I know are on what would be classed as low income so why should we top others for doing their job when we don't get tipped?

Blossomtoes · 02/07/2023 15:25

Because most people in low paid jobs aren’t doing them from choice. Who’d actually choose to clean up after other people? It’s pretty standard in many parts of the service industry, particularly outside the UK.

jellyminelli · 02/07/2023 15:26

"Same century as you. Just in a better class hotel."

Mate, despite my kids' penchant for sausage rolls, I can afford a posh hotel whenever I want.

I don't call anyone "the chambermaid" though 😅

wutheringkites · 02/07/2023 15:32

Livinginanotherworld · 01/07/2023 23:33

On a £76 bill the tip would have been around £15 for a start, so hardly much left, if you’d had a coffee each you could have called it quits.

For you, maybe m but 20% is not the standard tipping amount in the UK. I'd say it's somewhere between 10-15%.

I'd probably have left a £10 tip for a £76 bill.

Precipice · 02/07/2023 16:17

SoSoSoSo · 02/07/2023 14:29

Where would you even leave a tip for a hotel cleaner?

On pretty much any available surface in the hotel room. Take your pick.

You think staff cleaning in a hotel should pick up and pocket any and all cash lying around? Should they take the whole wallet if that's visible or just assume only all the notes are for them?

I think you'd end up with a very quick complaint for theft if you took this up as a practice.

Blossomtoes · 02/07/2023 16:19

You think staff cleaning in a hotel should pick up and pocket any and all cash lying around? Should they take the whole wallet if that's visible or just assume only all the notes are for them?

I think you'd end up with a very quick complaint for theft if you took this up as a practice.

You leave it just before you leave so it will be obvious it’s left on purpose because of the lack of belongings.

Precipice · 02/07/2023 16:22

Blossomtoes · 02/07/2023 16:19

You leave it just before you leave so it will be obvious it’s left on purpose because of the lack of belongings.

Oh, you mean when leaving! I was reading it as when you have the room cleaned during your stay. I'm relieved to hear this answer, my bad.

Actually, in a recent stay, someone stole my soap! It was only an opened little soap bar from the previous hotel, but it was still hardly used and off it disappeared. They left me a new one, but actually I was still disgruntled.

Talia99 · 02/07/2023 16:23

As a past chambermaid, the tip is generally only left the last day. If the entire room is empty of luggage and possessions and notes or coins are left in a prominent position on the dressing table or on the table by the bed, then yes, I would assume the money is a tip and would take it.

As I said above, I didn’t get tips often but it was always obvious what they were. Of course, if I found a £20 note or a wallet under the bed (or even a wallet left out on a surface), I would assume it had been dropped / forgotten and hand it in but that never happened.

notamumyet2010 · 02/07/2023 17:19

I think you should have gotten another smaller voucher-however in this situation i would have just said ok and ordered 2 puddings and ask them to box them up to take home. Sometimes it’s just easier to figure out a solution especially if the staff don’t really know what to do.

BonjourPetitPois · 03/07/2023 11:56

I would have thought they would be shooting themselves in the foot by not providing the change in another voucher, as this would encourage you to go back and probably spend more than the value of £24!

yousaythatbut · 03/07/2023 12:14

Do you not tip the chambermaids when you have a week’s holiday?

As we were checking out of our self catering room in Majorca the cleaning lady came by and asked if we'd like to give her a tip. We politely declined because we had 'do not disturb' on the door all week and did our own cleaning. Yes, they'd left fresh towels outside once for us to pick up but literally nothing else. Why would she think she deserved a tip?!

ohdamnitjanet · 03/07/2023 12:25

They should definitely give you another voucher, but why a small tip? The restaurant policy isn’t the wait staff’s fault. And we do have a tip culture in restaurants here, it just isn’t expected in the same way as the USA. And for all those who think tipping is dumb - you do know wait staff usual get minimum wage, don’t you? And if you don’t want to tip restaurant costs will go up so you’ll pay anyway. It’s just a nice way to show a little cash appreciation to someone who does a hard job and works shite hours so you can have a nice night out being waited on.

Ihatepickingausername3 · 03/07/2023 12:33

I’d have expected a voucher for the remainder

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.