Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Chat

Locals taking over hotel

83 replies

Arbesque · 06/10/2022 08:56

We are staying in a hotel at the moment and couldn't get a seat in the lounge yesterday evening because it was full of locals watching a match and drinking pints.

Another resident told us that on Sunday they had to eat in the bar because the dining room was booked out for a 70th birthday lunch.

We also have very limited access to the pool because of school swimming lessons, aquafit classes etc

Anyone else get annoyed when they stay in a hotel and find themselves constantly playing second fiddle to locals?

OP posts:
Please
or

Mrsjayy · 06/10/2022 17:38

I once went to a Hotel on Mull where a couple next to us in the restaurant complained there was men in work boots in the bar ! Op have you been on Mull ? You know you are being ridiculous don't you.

Please
or

Arbesque · 06/10/2022 18:06

Mrsjayy · 06/10/2022 17:38

I once went to a Hotel on Mull where a couple next to us in the restaurant complained there was men in work boots in the bar ! Op have you been on Mull ? You know you are being ridiculous don't you.

Have you actually read my op. It has nothing to do with them being local. It's about them being non residents and booking not amenities that are meant to be part and parcel of our paid for stay.

Why are posters deliberately misinterpreting my use of the word local?

OP posts:
Please
or

Arbesque · 06/10/2022 18:09

Kinsters · 06/10/2022 17:34

There's a hotel local to my parents that actually banned locals from the restaurant! You could only book a table Thursday - Sunday if you were a guest there. We don't eat there anymore!

Why? Presumably the hotel is booked out over the weekend so they don't have the capacity to take bookings from non residents.

OP posts:
Please
or

ChilliBandit · 06/10/2022 18:18

Another thread where poster just go on the attack towards the OP straight away. It’s like people use OPs as the punching bags for their frustrations lately. It’s really strange.

I understand what you are saying OP. I live locally to several hotels and none of their pools are open to locals, it wouldn’t have occurred to me that they would be. We have access to local leisure centres and can join local gyms/health clubs if we want to swim. I’ve also only ever known hotels to have function rooms closed for weddings/parties not whole restaurants. You can’t advertise facilities for guests and then hire them out to non guests instead. That’s misleading.

Please
or

itwasntmetho · 06/10/2022 18:25

Yeah I get what you’re saying, you wouldn’t have booked the hotel if you know the facilities would be unavailable.
the price per night goes up a lot for a hotel with lovely facilities over a casual eating/ no pool place.
Is it at least an area where you would find nice things to do if you don’t have useable facilities at the hotel?

Please
or

wishingitwasfriday · 06/10/2022 19:06

Surely you would need to book the restaurant, as you would any restaurant? Just because you are staying there it doesn't mean that you want to eat there, unless dinner is included in the price.

Please
or

wherearebeefandonioncrisps · 06/10/2022 19:08

I'd be miffed if I couldn't use the hotel facilities that I'd already paid for.
Please take no nonsense from those upthread who are grilling about the locals using the facilities all the time.
They probably don't.
If the hotel only wants locals to uses its bars , pool , gym and restaurant then it should re-categorise itself into a Community Centre.

I'd be very annoyed.

And those PP who have been derogatory would probably be the first to complain about their hotel in Spain being overrun with locals who were watching the bull fighting on the wide screen tv in the bar whilst having a festival on the terrace.

Please
or

wherearebeefandonioncrisps · 06/10/2022 19:09

Ironically, the hotel wouldn't exist if outsiders didn't visit!

Please
or

HighlandPony · 06/10/2022 19:13

Nope. I live in an area blighted by the tourism industry. We’ve got bugger all left for ourselves because we don’t have the residential population to sustain it. Blame holiday and air b&b landlords

Please
or

Twopandemicpregnancies · 06/10/2022 19:14

I agree with you OP. I have stayed in hotels before where the pool is overrun with noisy kids who aren’t staying there. Places where you don’t feel welcome as a guest due to too many non-guests taking over the facilities don’t get repeat business from me. I sympathise with them trying to get revenue in but there is a balance and it’s not on when it’s a pricey hotel

Please
or

wherearebeefandonioncrisps · 06/10/2022 19:53

@HighlandPony
So, irrespective of your very clear beliefs, the fact remains that the hotel is open to tourists and has been paid for.
Are you suggesting, because of your concerns, that the OP is not entitled to the facilities that she has paid for?
If you do, then clearly the hotel needs to make it abundantly clear that tourists are unwelcome.

Basically, you can't have it both ways, you either provide tourists with the services that they pay for or make it a locals only hostelry.

Please
or

Arbesque · 06/10/2022 20:11

Thank you to the posters above.

Very shocked that so many posters think 'locals' = inferior, hob nail boots, lowering the tone etc.
Is that really how they think of their neighbours?

OP posts:
Please
or

Arbesque · 06/10/2022 21:06

HighlandPony · 06/10/2022 19:13

Nope. I live in an area blighted by the tourism industry. We’ve got bugger all left for ourselves because we don’t have the residential population to sustain it. Blame holiday and air b&b landlords

Not really understanding your logic. I'm perfectly happy if a hotel decides they are available for local people only. Or decides to charge for rooms for visitors but provide limited access to other facilities and charge accordingly..
My problem is when they advertise themselves as having a pool, lounge, restaurant, gym etc to entice you to book with them then, when you arrive, limit your access to these facilities because they're also charging local people to use them.

Silly strawman arguments about 'ooh the horror of locals' ' oh God, where's my pearls to clutch' have spectacularly missed the point of my post.

OP posts:
Please
or

MichelleScarn · 06/10/2022 21:19

If they weren't 'locals' and were other residents would you be as annoyed?

Please
or

ChilliBandit · 06/10/2022 21:24

Other residents would be limited to the number of rooms in the hotel. Which you’d hoped the hotel had factored in when they built the pool and restaurant. It’s nothing to do with the people being local and everything to do with there being no room for the residents who have chosen the hotel so they can use the facilities.

Please
or

balalake · 06/10/2022 21:32

The only thing unreasonable to me seems to be if they had not told you at least when you arrive, when the swimming pool is available.

Please
or

Arbesque · 06/10/2022 21:35

MichelleScarn · 06/10/2022 21:19

If they weren't 'locals' and were other residents would you be as annoyed?

No.

OP posts:
Please
or

Arbesque · 06/10/2022 21:36

As in, I would assume the hotel would only take bookings for residents they can accommodate.

OP posts:
Please
or

TakeYourFinalPosition · 06/10/2022 21:38

denying us access to those facilities

Did they deny you access; or was it full? Because most hotels would find themselves full if every hotel guest wanted to go down for a drink or dinner, for example; they run on loose percentages that X% of people are likely to drink/eat there, or make you book in advance.

Please
or

Arbesque · 06/10/2022 21:57

TakeYourFinalPosition · 06/10/2022 21:38

denying us access to those facilities

Did they deny you access; or was it full? Because most hotels would find themselves full if every hotel guest wanted to go down for a drink or dinner, for example; they run on loose percentages that X% of people are likely to drink/eat there, or make you book in advance.

No. Where did you get that from my op?

OP posts:
Please
or

HighlandPony · 06/10/2022 22:09

wherearebeefandonioncrisps · 06/10/2022 19:53

@HighlandPony
So, irrespective of your very clear beliefs, the fact remains that the hotel is open to tourists and has been paid for.
Are you suggesting, because of your concerns, that the OP is not entitled to the facilities that she has paid for?
If you do, then clearly the hotel needs to make it abundantly clear that tourists are unwelcome.

Basically, you can't have it both ways, you either provide tourists with the services that they pay for or make it a locals only hostelry.

No. You can have both. If the restaurant is packed come back at another time. As OP has already said she’s only annoyed because the place was being used by locals. Wouldn’t care if it was other folk staying in the hotel just the locals. This attitude does my tits in. We have to live here. Why should our kids miss out on things like swimming lessons so you can have your fucking jolly and sod off home again. Sick of being like second class citizens where I was bloody born. Maybe if you lived in a community like mine you’d get it.

Please
or

ChilliBandit · 06/10/2022 22:12

I really don’t understand people’s hostility to the OP, it’s a maths issue rather than a class/money/elitism issue. The OP can’t use the facilities she’s travelled and paid to use because the hotel have let in too many non hotel guests who will naturally be from the local area. It would be the same as if the OP said she’d gone to a hotel with 100 rooms that advertised a restaurant and a pool but the restaurant only sits 10 people and the pool is only a hot tub.

If the hotel would like to open up the facilities to the wider area they need to either make them bigger or stop advertising them as part staying in the hotel.

Please
or

ChilliBandit · 06/10/2022 22:16

@HighlandPony why should the OP have to pay an inflated price for a hotel room to subsidise facilities for the local residents? Because that’s what you are advocating for here. If a hotel wants to be used as a community leisure centre that’s fine but they can’t charge the same as a hotel where the guests can actually use the hotels amenities.

Please
or

HighlandPony · 06/10/2022 22:22

Because tourisms likely the reason the community doesn’t have their own facilities.

Please
or

AutumnalCosyness · 06/10/2022 22:39

LaLaLouella · 06/10/2022 09:24

@Arbesque yep, that's annoying. You've paid for facilities you can't use. At check in guests should be asked if they want to eat in the restaurant and tables kept free for that purpose! I understand they want to attract locals, but not if it means staying guests are sidelined.

This

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?