Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Chat

Locals taking over hotel

83 replies

Arbesque · 06/10/2022 08:56

We are staying in a hotel at the moment and couldn't get a seat in the lounge yesterday evening because it was full of locals watching a match and drinking pints.

Another resident told us that on Sunday they had to eat in the bar because the dining room was booked out for a 70th birthday lunch.

We also have very limited access to the pool because of school swimming lessons, aquafit classes etc

Anyone else get annoyed when they stay in a hotel and find themselves constantly playing second fiddle to locals?

OP posts:
Please
or

SunThroughTheCloudsAt6am · 06/10/2022 09:52

I wouldn't be upset about the lounge/bar, but for the restaurant and pool I would expect that guests have some priority access - I'd even be fine with having to let them know at checkin if I wanted to eat in the restaurant that night (lots ask anyway) or warned me that they had a booking and offered something as an alternative, perhaps with a free drink.

We booked a hotel for my youngest's birthday recently (it's what he wanted) and couldn't get a pool slot because they were booked out by non-guests well in advance, and none were reserved for guests to use (nor were we warned this was the case when we booked). In the end, being fairly local ourselves, we just went to our gym for a swim, but it definitely took the shine off the weekend.

Please
or

MichelleScarn · 06/10/2022 09:54

This is a local hotel but not for local people!
We don't want any of you locals HERE!!

Please
or

Pollydon · 06/10/2022 09:55

@user1471457751 yes, and the locals will have also paid to use those facilities.

Please
or

Martinisarebetterdirty · 06/10/2022 09:56

I agree OP it’s very annoying. We had this one year, saved massively and splurged on a gorgeous hotel overlooking the sea with an amazing pool, only the pool ran pool parties and so we could get a lounger or a drink or go for a swim. I fully get the need to support hotels all through the year but certain slots need reserving for residents and residents need making aware on booking if they can’t use something.

Please
or

Suzi888 · 06/10/2022 10:01

YANBU
If you book and pay with an expectation of using facilities then they should clarify over the phone /website that you won’t be able to or that you need to contact the hotel and reserve the restaurant / pool.

Please
or

Suzi888 · 06/10/2022 10:04

Pollydon · 06/10/2022 09:55

@user1471457751 yes, and the locals will have also paid to use those facilities.

The hotel shouldn’t take bookings if you can’t use the facilities.
Never heard of a hotel only allowing some guests to use the pool…. That’s very odd.

Please
or

PurplRainDancer · 06/10/2022 10:07

It’s obviously a ‘local’ hotel for ‘local’ people 😉

Please
or

Stravaig · 06/10/2022 10:37

The answer will depend very much on where you are.

If you are visiting the Highlands & Islands, rural Wales, the Peaks, the Lakes, or Cornwall, then yes, you are being massively unreasonable, overly entitled and oblivious to the impact of tourism and reality of life in small communities. That said, if you choose the most exclusive hotels, they will absolutely keep we peasant locals out, to ensure your visit is unsullied.

In more populated destinations, with plentiful facilities, it would likely annoy me too.

Please
or

newnamethanks · 06/10/2022 10:43

Terrible, feel for you OP. The street I live on, the shops, the pubs, the parks, the hotels are all full,of bloody locals. Even my neighbours are local. They all seem to think they've got a right to be here. Shocking.

Please
or

ShahRukhKhan · 06/10/2022 10:50

Most places Ive been to ask if you want to eat at the hotel and/or keep a table aside for residents until a certain time.

Please
or

Rosehugger · 06/10/2022 10:54

It's a fair enough comment. Nice to see places busy but rowdy can be annoying. There needs to be a balance between local community use and guests and sometimes hotels can get this wrong. Of course hotels want locals to use the facilities but they can't completely disregard the needs of guests.

Please
or

Rosehugger · 06/10/2022 10:58

If you are visiting the Highlands & Islands, rural Wales, the Peaks, the Lakes, or Cornwall, then yes, you are being massively unreasonable, overly entitled and oblivious to the impact of tourism and reality of life in small communities. That said, if you choose the most exclusive hotels, they will absolutely keep we peasant locals out, to ensure your visit is unsullied

Bollocks. These places are almost entirely dependent on tourism for the local economy. There needs to be a balance between visitors and locals. I live in a little village on the North Downs Way and several other well-used footpaths and it's easy to get here from London so many people do come for a walk at the weekend, and in the week, and I'm very pleased to see them too as they will spend money in the pubs, shops and cafes.

Please
or

maddy68 · 06/10/2022 11:04

I think the op is having a tough time from other posters. She's paid to have access to the advertised services. If they are being denied to her then she should complain to the hotel and ask for a reduction.

Also other uses are entitled to use the facilities if the hotel wishes . They are not exclusive to guests

Please
or

grapehyacinthisactuallyblue · 06/10/2022 11:05

Oh don't be silly. I don't care if they're the royal family. The point is that are staying in a hotel that has advertised itself as having a warm relaxing lounge, full dining facilities and an indoor heated pool, is charging us for the privilege and then denying us access to those facilities so they can also make money from non residents.

Then you should take the matter with actual hotel, rather than complain about locals, who has equal right to be there as a paying customer on internet.

Please
or

Mascia · 06/10/2022 11:11

JudgeRindersMinder · 06/10/2022 08:57

Would that be the locals who support a business for 365 days a year?

That’s what I’d say too.
I can imagine many businesses in the hospitality industry have been struggling recently - first Covid and now the cost of living crisis.
Can‘t really blame them for trying to make all the money they can.

Please
or

ApolloandDaphne · 06/10/2022 11:14

If I want to eat in a hotel restaurant when I am staying I always make sure I book a table in advance.

Please
or

PurpleWisteria · 06/10/2022 11:16

Make sure you mention your complaints on Trip Advisor. It's not a place I'd want to stay. I want what I've paid for.

Fair enough to entertain the locals but don't advertise the facilities if they are often unavailable.

Please
or

Brieeeeeeeee · 06/10/2022 11:19

I kind of get the annoyance as I regularly stay in a rural hotel with a pool which is used for local swimming lessons. No other pools within about 30 miles, so I understand why. But it’s clearly advertised when the lessons are, it doesn’t take up the whole pool, and 9 times out of 10 I just avoid the 3.30pm - 5.30pm time, as I have the privilege of being on holiday and being able to do as I wish!

Please
or

VenusClapTrap · 06/10/2022 11:46

I’m with you op. I once booked an expensive spa weekend for some much needed R&R. It was promoted with serene photographs and descriptions of tranquility. I arrived to find the pool full of shouty splashy kids, and it was impossible to go for a normal swim, let alone relax on the loungers.

I asked at reception if there were was a children’s hour or something, and was told that non-resident gym members could bring their kids to the pool for free in the mornings. It was the school holidays, so that pool was rammed till 1pm both days I was at the spa. I felt pretty cheated.

I get that those local gym members are probably the hotel’s bread and butter, but they need to decide on their target audience and focus on that, because ‘haven of tranquility’ and ‘kids entertainment’ are mutually exclusive. I voted with my feet and have not been back to that spa.

Please
or

EL8888 · 06/10/2022 11:49

Quveas · 06/10/2022 09:03

Gosh, how utterly appalling. I can't believe that a business wouldn't put the right of entitled casual guests over catering for the people who support it all year. Dreadful that one might have to eat in the bar. Or that other people can hire the facilities that you are also hiring. And I don't know where to begin ... people were actually drinking pints? How utterly common of them. I always opt for G&T when watching the match. That would be the test match of course, because I'd never do anything so coarse as watching rowdy football. It is obvious that your two night stay should be their only consideration all year, and they should have planned accordingly.

I agree. It’s a total disgrace! The hotel need to sort their priorities out. I would complain about the “locals” if l was you

Please
or

Arbesque · 06/10/2022 16:47

Mascia · 06/10/2022 11:11

That’s what I’d say too.
I can imagine many businesses in the hospitality industry have been struggling recently - first Covid and now the cost of living crisis.
Can‘t really blame them for trying to make all the money they can.

But they're basically doing it by double booking. Selling residents a stay based on access to the lounge and pool and award winning restaurant and also taking money from non residents to use the facilities at the same time.
They're trying to facilitate a local market but also marketing themselves to visitors as having fully accessible amenities and then leaving them to work around the non residents for access.

OP posts:
Please
or

gogohmm · 06/10/2022 17:09

I've had issues with the hotel being booked out by a wedding and there are literally only a handful of people staying who weren't connected. Once it was horrible - no restaurant, no lounge and plus function room used by wedding with them clogging up the lobby too moaned about the dog (who we had paid for to stay) the other time we had a great night - the wedding couple thrust champagne into our hands as we checked in (despite protestations that we weren't part of their group) and we were told to come to the evening reception - had no intention of doing so but she spotted us returning to the hotel (we had dinner reservations elsewhere) and basically insisted! Friendly bunch, live music free bar

If it's a wedding or locals it doesn't matter if they make you feel welcome, if you feel uncomfortable that's different

Please
or

Bluevelvetsofa · 06/10/2022 17:14

I think it’s reasonable to be accommodating for a wedding and we’ve had to do that in the past. If you book a hotel based on the facilities and that’s reflected in the price, I think you should be able to use them when you want to during your stay.

Please
or

LIZS · 06/10/2022 17:23

We always take it as a positive that locals want to use it. Most hotels with pools we have been to recently allow access for residents even with an area marked off for lessons.

Please
or

Kinsters · 06/10/2022 17:34

There's a hotel local to my parents that actually banned locals from the restaurant! You could only book a table Thursday - Sunday if you were a guest there. We don't eat there anymore!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?