My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

What are you wearing to stay warm?

43 replies

IHearIt · 27/09/2022 23:35

Like most people, I'm trying not to put the heating on. I work from home and by lunch time I am frozen. I've been wearing my dressing gown over the top of my clothes, but would like something I could answer the door in. I don't want to live in a dressing gown. Any suggestions? Thanks.

OP posts:
wtfisgoingonhere21 · 27/09/2022 23:37

Last year I bought some really soft but casual and nice looking warm lounge wear sets so nice funnel neck jumpers and bottoms.

I noticed sainsburys had a new range of smart casual lounge wear in the other day.

I find it really warm and cosy and I happily pop out to the shop or answer the door in it

Celia24 · 27/09/2022 23:38

Fleeces from sales in outdoors shops. Having worked out the lower half yet!

wingliner · 27/09/2022 23:39

Shackets!!!

Cheeselog · 27/09/2022 23:40

A t shirt and jeans or joggers. A light cardigan for going outside. I don’t understand why there are so many posts already about the cold, it’s not that cold yet! I’ve only just started wearing socks. Can you get up and do a few star jumps when you start feeling cold?

HairyFeline · 27/09/2022 23:42

Hat scarf and fingerless gloves plus tights under fleece trousers and thick socks plus thermal long sleeve under long sleeve top and jumper!
Computer based wfh job so not much time for moving around!

Tryb · 27/09/2022 23:42

I've been wearing an oodie and trackie bottoms

MintJulia · 27/09/2022 23:43

I'm not cold yet but when it does get cold and I wfh, I wear a hiking base layer or thermals underneath, with a work top and tailored trousers or smart jeans over the top.

Wool socks ( much better than cotton or synthetic) around the house.

If I'm sitting still for long periods and it's very cold, I put a hot water bottle between the small of my back and the chair back(bliss) .

And then a regular supply of warm drinks.

earsup · 27/09/2022 23:45

I love my onesie....but its not that cold yet to wear it....just have a cardigan over my t shirt !

XPD · 27/09/2022 23:45

Cheeselog · 27/09/2022 23:40

A t shirt and jeans or joggers. A light cardigan for going outside. I don’t understand why there are so many posts already about the cold, it’s not that cold yet! I’ve only just started wearing socks. Can you get up and do a few star jumps when you start feeling cold?

I'm with you. I've just got home after a meal out. No coat and just a thin jumper on. It's not cold !!

OldTinHat · 27/09/2022 23:49

Muk Luk socks (sp?) over normal socks. Long sleeved tshirt with a big cardigan. Saving the big guns (fleeces, charity shop and Vinted oodies) for when it's really cold.

Custardpudding · 27/09/2022 23:52

I’ve been cold for the last two weeks, also put li dressing gown on! Last year I bought a heated throw but not pulled it out yet. But loved it last year!

EgonsShell · 27/09/2022 23:52

Not really felt cold yet this year but last winter I wore leggings under my PJ's/trackies when WFH and it made a big difference.

BloodAndFire · 27/09/2022 23:52

I used to live in these merino wool base layers I got from places like mountain warehouse or decathlon.

Very thin but very warm under anything. Long sleeves, tight fitting.

In fact this thread has reminded me to buy some more.

I also wear tight leggings with loose tracksuit bottoms over the top, warm socks and slipper boots

When it gets really cold I put on a scarf and beanie to go to the loo at night.

God I hate winter.

Arenanewbie · 27/09/2022 23:58

Usually I wore warm joggers from Primark, cotton top and my favourite 15y.o. fleece plus 2 pairs of socks : thin cotton and thick warm ones. For colder days I put short leggings or tights under my joggers and maybe warmer top. The colour scheme is always the same and called “whatever“ .
I’ve answered the door today twice without any hesitation. For a planned visitors I would put on jeans and sweater, and colour matching socks.

Judystilldreamsofhorses · 27/09/2022 23:59

It was 9 degrees here yesterday so quite cold (Scotland)! I was WFH in a vest top, alpaca/wool blend jumper, jeans, big knitted socks (Etsy) and Birkenstock clogs. I am on camera pretty much right through but if I wasn’t then would wear my Oodie. Last winter I often used a hot water bottle at the small of my back.

Tonight I am sitting in fleece lined joggers with a thermal vest and big jumper, heated throw, and a cat.

ComtesseDeSpair · 28/09/2022 00:01

Most winters Aldi sell a good range of thin skiwear base layers in their aisle of odd. I buy the tops and they’re so warm they’re all I wear for cycling to and from work even when it’s freezing or near freezing outside all winter, nothing under or over them. About £7.99 from memory.

Inthemane · 28/09/2022 00:03

This fleecy hooded cardigan from M&S (size up as it’s a little on the small side):

www.marksandspencer.com/teddy-borg-hooded-cardigan/

• minus points as it doesn’t have pockets or fastenings
  • plus points for keeping you warmer than the surface of the sun, especially with a jumper underneath…
mondaytosunday · 28/09/2022 00:08

Also consider an electric space heater. It's not that cold where I live yet (London), but I've just got one off Amazon for my daughter who has the loft room. When she works there on the weekend it will be chilly when it gets colder outside.

wingliner · 10/11/2022 23:35

I know this is a v slow reply to your question but this week I wore a pair off gym leggings under my joggers when working from gym - worked really well!

AverageMillennial · 10/11/2022 23:51

Ugg boots as slippers

Yoga leggings

Vest, long sleeved top and loose jumper

AnApparitionQuipped · 10/11/2022 23:55

Fully dressed with dressing gown over the top - DG can be slipped off if the door bell rings.

I recommend a hot water bottle - the long design of bottle is particularly warming.

Blueeyedgirl21 · 11/11/2022 00:01

Wfh is the worst in winter even pre energy crisis, sat at a computer for hours you just go soooo cold

I don’t wfh much anymore but I used to have a tiny plug in heater under my desk, having warm legs helped so much. Even just for 20 mins at a time. Think it was a fiver off Facebook marketplace

also I used to wear black or grey fleecy loungewear, that way if I had to do zoom calls, then I didn’t look scruffy, it just looks like you’re in a dark jumper. Next and ASOS do dark coloured pj/lounge sets for not too much Money. Have three on rotation or so.

if no zoom/teams, then wear an Oodie or similar with your hood up, wear over an actual jersey hoodie and guarantee you will be WARM

also ‘heat holders’ do fleece lined leggings I wear all winter regardless of event !

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

rosesandferns · 11/11/2022 00:02

Several thin layers of merino wool and cashmere, two hot water bottles (on lap and feet), woollen rug, hot lunch (microwaved leftovers) and lots of tea does the trick here. The smart meter is still horrifying, even without the heating on!

MintJulia · 11/11/2022 00:07

Bottom half - Jeans over thick tights,
Top half - a ski base layer under a guernsey thick wool sweater.

I intend to add a hot water bottle when it gets really cold.😊

QueueEtwo · 11/11/2022 00:23

I bought a pair of the Sainsbury's Thermal leggings last week!
£14 ones, they were brilliant so just ordered another 2 pairs!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.