My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Please recommend the best heated airer for drying clothes

21 replies

Elsanore · 27/07/2022 14:23

Tumble dryer broken and will not be replacing. Barely use it anyway because of cost/ environment.

I want to start looking now for a heated airer ideally reduced or in a sale. Do you have one that's really good? I think I've seen people recommend Lakeland?

Thank you for any comments.

----

This thread is quite old now so some of the suggestions may be out of date, but if you’ve landed here looking for product recommendations, we’ve recently updated our guide to the best heated airers with lots of options, as tried and tested by Mumsnet users and editors. We hope you find it useful. Flowers
MNHQ

OP posts:
upthem5 · 27/07/2022 14:28

I had the Lakeland one. The biggest model and the cover too. It was crap. I gave it away last week and bought a tumble drier which dried a whole load in half hour on low heat.

Our smart meter still flashed red because of the airer = high energy consumption too.

soggydigestives · 27/07/2022 14:30

I have the big square one from Lakeland with the cover. I love mine.

IfIGoThereWillBeTrouble · 27/07/2022 14:34

As an alternative, could you dry some things outside or on an ordinary airer in the house and take the items that can’t be dried at home to the local launderette?

Elsanore · 27/07/2022 16:35

IfIGoThereWillBeTrouble · 27/07/2022 14:34

As an alternative, could you dry some things outside or on an ordinary airer in the house and take the items that can’t be dried at home to the local launderette?

Definitely- that's what we are doing now. We will struggle in winter though which is why we got the tumble dryer originally.

OP posts:
Ilovechoc12 · 27/07/2022 16:45

I hang towels over the bannister / sometimes sheets as I’ve got so many of them (6 in this house) and they are dry in the morning ….

but now I’m timings my washing with the weather forecast 🤪🤪🤪

exnewwifeproblems · 27/07/2022 16:47

I have the Lakeland one. It's only ok. I wouldn't buy it again.

I have a Sheila Maid in the utility room and it's just as fast as the heated airer.

Elsanore · 27/07/2022 16:49

Ilovechoc12 · 27/07/2022 16:45

I hang towels over the bannister / sometimes sheets as I’ve got so many of them (6 in this house) and they are dry in the morning ….

but now I’m timings my washing with the weather forecast 🤪🤪🤪

Bannisters are dryers here too! Only one really good one though, the rest are too steep.

OP posts:
Schooldil3ma · 27/07/2022 16:50

I'd probably invest in a dehumidifier instead, they work wonders.

Elsanore · 27/07/2022 16:50

exnewwifeproblems · 27/07/2022 16:47

I have the Lakeland one. It's only ok. I wouldn't buy it again.

I have a Sheila Maid in the utility room and it's just as fast as the heated airer.

Love those! My mum has offered us the lovely old one from my childhood home. Nowhere to put it here though. Unless it's up above the kitchen table. I though that would make the clothes end up smelling of food!

OP posts:
BobMortimersPocketMeat · 27/07/2022 16:52

I line dry on any day it’s remotely possible, but also have a tumble drier and heated airer. The heated airer is used for our good clothes that don’t fare well in the drier. It works brilliantly if you cover it up - you don’t need to pay for the manufacturer’s cover, a big sheet does the same job.

Ours is the bigger Lakeland one, and I wouldn’t be without it.

gingergiraffe · 27/07/2022 16:54

Dd has moved home for a while and brought her Lakeland airier. I love it. At this time of year, and having more washing, I can dry outside, iron and then air it all off on the airier for a couple of hours rather than clogging up the airing cupboard for a couple of days. Definitely get a cover. I think the drying efficiency depends on how you hang the washing and how much there is. For speed I sometimes use the tumble dryer but I do like having options.

autumnboys · 27/07/2022 16:56

I have the big Lakeland airer and cover & I am v pleased with it, I’ve had it for several years now. I will probably invest in a timer plug this year to switch it off. I also put it in front of the log burner, which has an air fan on top.

gingergiraffe · 27/07/2022 16:57

Oh yes, as pp says, great for clothes that you don’t want to put in a tumble drier as they do lose a lot of fibres. Dd prefers her clothes to be airier dried and so many modern fabrics benefit from gentle drying. If you give your cloths a good shake and stretch the creases disappear.

Screamingtern · 27/07/2022 17:03

I have a Julu. They are not heated but a great alternative to a Sheila Maid

Please recommend the best heated airer for drying clothes
midgetastic · 27/07/2022 17:08

We use Lakeland one

Yes it takes longer than a tumble drier - we put it on for a few hours and then leave everything overnight

Its a lot quicker than without any heat / relying on radiators but less good than outside when it's dry and windy

AperolWhore · 27/07/2022 17:24

We don’t have a heated airer but I’ve found the trick is to get a spacious collapsable standard airer, wash clothes overnight with an extra spin cycle and hang the clothes on the airer as soon as you get up and they will be dry by bedtime and can be put away.

As long as you smooth the clothes out before you put them on the airer you won’t have to iron most of them.

I hang towels and sheets over the bannister and doors to dry but everything gets an extra spin cycle which makes all the difference.

PeloAddict · 27/07/2022 17:24

I have a Lakeland one and a dehumidifier
The dehumidifier costs me less in electric and dried stuff loads quicker if that helps

ToastedCrumpetwithCheese · 27/07/2022 17:41

We also have the Lakeland Dry:Soon and it's really good although we don't put anything on the bottom shelf as the clothes tend to dry better with that shelf being the bottom as of course the heat rises. I tend to put t-shirts on the top shelf, then trousers/dresses on the middle shelf so they hang right down to the bottom shelf. I also use alternate rails which helps separate the clothes and keep the air flowing.

winniesanderson · 27/07/2022 18:19

I have the smaller round Lakeland heated airer with the cover. It's fantastic for thinner items particularly. T shirts, cotton dresses etc. It will do heavier items, I occasionally have folded jeans on a trouser hanger for example. Just takes longer. I've put it away for the summer but will be glad of it over the winter for school uniform etc. Often needs very little ironing after too. Between that, a non heated airer and very light items on clothes hangers on door frames we manage to get tumble drier use right down.

teaandtoastwithmarmite · 28/07/2022 13:53

Has anyone tried the minky one £55 from Argos

spl1tman · 22/10/2022 21:06

you could use a dehumidifier in some sort of tent using polythene, not pretty, but effective.
found a decent post here refurbinators.com/dehumidifiers-for-drying-clothes/

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.