Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Extra-wide trainers?

AllLopsided · 14/05/2022 17:42

OK this is a long shot... looking for the widest possible trainers to replace my Skechers EEE tone-ups from 2012 Shock

I know they are not trendy and people seem to have a love-hate relationship with them but they worked for me. However they no longer come in EEE so I'm looking for alternatives, while wondering if a wide fit in a size up might also work. Considering Brooks, New Balance, Nike... but not convinced any of them are properly wide.

I'm actually nearer an H width so when I say wide, I mean really wide, and I need to fit an ankle brace in sometimes as well. Shops near me rarely have wide-fit models in stock so I need to buy online. I need a slight 'heel', not completely flat, I want them to be flexible rather than rigid and ideally have plenty of padding around the heel/opening - my poor feet have been through enough without being ripped to shreds!

Am I asking for the moon on a stick? Any recommendations from fellow wide-footed MNers? Price and colour pretty much no object... comfort is everything!

OP's posts:
Please
or

NarcissasMumintheDoghouse · 14/05/2022 17:45

I'm G and I have a pair of Scholl trainers that I live in. Not sure how suitable they are for sports, though.

Please
or

AllLopsided · 14/05/2022 17:58

Thank you @NarcissasMumintheDoghouse, I will look them up.

Not for sports, just walking. Waiting for an ankle replacement so can't do shoes/sandals.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Harrriet · 14/05/2022 18:03

JD Williams would go up EEE . Evans are very generous in their widths and definitely go up to EEE. I hope you find something.

Please
or

ehb102 · 14/05/2022 18:08

www.widefitshoes.co.uk

New balance do up to 6E in some modern styles.

Please
or

Cherrysoup · 14/05/2022 18:43

Nike Air Force one are very wide, I find.

Please
or

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 14/05/2022 18:47

I have wide feet and ordered the Skecher version of Vans and had to send then back they were so wide,don't think that's ever happened before!

Please
or

AllLopsided · 15/05/2022 00:12

Thanks all - measured myself according to widefitshoes.co.uk and I am a 4E fitting. Apparently most Sketchers wide fit trainers are this width in spite of only saying extra wide on their own site.

That site had a good range of New Balance but unfortunately I'm not in the UK and it seems the women of France do not have EEEE feet - websites here only have extra wide NB, not extra extra wide. Aargh!

Air Force ones look a bit too flat for me but some other Nikes came up when I searched 4E on the wide fit site.

Will also check out Evans - I had some boots from there ones that were super-wide!

OP's posts:
Please
or

PickAChew · 15/05/2022 00:24

I'm EEE and lots of nikes fit me well but my width is in the toe so none of the styles I wear (mostly the react line) would fit an ankle brace.

Please
or

Nat6999 · 15/05/2022 00:25

I'm a G width & wear Adidas trainers, I have the Court & Superstar ones.

Please
or

Ballsaque · 15/05/2022 00:27

Hotter do extra wide

Please
or

GanderingGoose · 15/05/2022 00:38

I have a 6e foot and an incredibly high instep caused by Charcot Marie Tooth disease. These are the trainer's I often wear as I have only been able to find these and a couple of sketchers designs that fit. They don't have much of a heel so can be tricky on my shortened achilles tendons and weak ankles (but no worse than most other trainers). They are incredibly wide.

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/revolution-6-running-shoes-sQC2pN/DD8475-003

Please
or

GanderingGoose · 15/05/2022 00:40

Sorry forgot to mention there's 3 other types that Nike do in the extra wide but they are all pretty similar. I like them though as I'm still in my twenties and it offers a rare opportunity to wear something which is a bit more on trend.

Please
or

GanderingGoose · 15/05/2022 00:45

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/revolution-6-flyease-next-nature-easy-on-and-off-road-running-shoes-mZTLKq/DD8476-001

I also own these which open by a zip around the ankle which is secured by velcro. You slip your foot in and they have been designed to hold orthotics and braces and I love that Nike are making more accessible clothing.

Please
or

ButtockUp · 15/05/2022 10:23

Ive got very wide feet and the Skechers Wide Fit are brilliant for me. I can even get half sizes.

Please
or

Shanksponyorbust · 15/05/2022 10:30

https://www.widerfitshoes.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo-3OoJjh9wIVQe7tCh2FowNNEAAYASAAEgIuPPD_BwE

The fit goes up to 8E. Had a little cry when I found they sold size 5, 6E width shoes that don’t look like they should be in a Billy Connolly routine.

Please
or

Thestoppedfan · 15/05/2022 10:33

The Nike metcon 6 are really wide I can spread out all of my toes easily in them. They are more of a weightlifting shoe though and are quite flat so I’m not sure if that’s what you are after.

Please
or

TheRealMrsG · 15/05/2022 12:32

Brooks do a 4E width in some trainers, I believe.

Please
or

Yarnasaurus · 15/05/2022 12:36

Have a look at Lems and Altras (maybe Xero too) with foot shaped wide toe boxes. Most mainstream footwear that claims to be wide is only wide at the ball of the foot and still narrows the toes into bunion forming shapes.

Please
or

guessmyusername · 15/05/2022 14:36

I have really wide feet and in normal shoes an EEE fitting and have several pairs of sketchers that fit. I went to New York and walked miles wearing them. They may be marketed as extra wide but they really are wide. Often the mens ones are slightly wider.

Please
or
Please
or

AllLopsided · 15/05/2022 23:55

Thanks for all the replies! Lots more for me to check out.

@Nat6999 Do you wear your normal size in the Adidas or size up?

@Ballsaque I have Hotter extra-wide boots that fit and can see trainers in extra-wide, so looks promising!

@GanderingGoose thanks for all the details. I have the same problems, Achilles and weakness, but I have flattish feet (surgical correction attempted on one but only slightly successful). I have orthotics too. The Nikes both look good - is there enough room around the toes? The depth looks quite narrow at the front, especially on the running shoe, but might just be the photos. Do you wear a brace with the flyease? Mine is not massively bulky but I can see how the heel area on one old shoe has been pulled out of shape by the brace.

@Shanksponyorbust Great site and some nice looking boots... but I didn't really see any trainers in wider fits, am I being dense?

@TheRealMrsG Brooks look great but once again only 2E available for delivery here in France, aargh!

@Yarnasaurus I am totally with you about needing the space in the toes! No bunions yet but my fourth toes are always squished. However those brands seem a bit flat and due to end-stage arthritis in the ankle, I really need some lift in the heel.

@guessmyusername and @ButtockUp Which Skechers fit you please? Did you size up or get your normal size? I am looking at Arch fit as I hoped might help with stability. I have some too-narrow expensive trainers that correct pronation (flogged to ne by a shop that didn't sell wide fit and tried to compensate by going up two sizes). I reckon if I could wear them for more than five minutes I might be able to ditch the brace, as they do feel really stable!

The JD Williams ones looked good too but unfortunately they don't deliver here.

I really wish shoe retailers would give exact measurements online like many clothes shops do!

OP's posts:
Please
or

GanderingGoose · 16/05/2022 00:05

Yes they are wide around the toes - my feet are almost square 😂 and there's plenty of room (especially in the flyease). I don't have any bunions or problems with my toe joints so would be unable to comment if they would accommodate those issues. I don't have to wear braces very often yet but I know the flyease definitely accommodate them well. A friend whose son wears very rigid ones finds the flyease the best "fashion' trainers for him.

Please
or

AllLopsided · 16/05/2022 00:57

Thanks @GanderingGoose, very reassuring. Square toes would suit me! Am going to order them both to try. I'd been thinking about trying men's styles for a while and you've convinced me. They are not expensive eitherSmile

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nat6999 · 16/05/2022 06:08

I'm a size 4.5 but buy size 5, I have terrible bunions but they fit fine.

Please
or

guessmyusername · 16/05/2022 11:59

AllLopsided I can't read the label in my oldest 2 pairs, too well worn. But my most recent pair are Extra wide fit Air cooled memory foam in size 6.5 UK. Which is my correct size and they do have adequate room at the toes. The style is SN 51885EWW They do have some very similar on the website. I think they are a mens style but I am more concerned with the fit than the colour. My podiatrist approved of them

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.