Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Cost of Living Crisis

TwinklingFairyLights · 09/05/2022 08:39

Is this not having much of an impact yet? I was in central Manchester on Friday and restaurants, pubs and bars were all full. I phoned to book a haircut and my hairdresser is fully booked for 2 weeks. I thought discretionary spending would be reducing by now but I can't see it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AuntieMarys · 09/05/2022 08:40

I'm not cancelling haircuts and still going out for meals/ drinks/ theatre etc.

Please
or

bobbingalongside · 09/05/2022 08:42

It's because a lot of this is hitting the very poorest. Meaning people who had next to nothing before anyway and couldn't afford to go out for coffee, dinners, lunching and hair cuts

Please
or

Basketet · 09/05/2022 08:45

It's the poorest who are struggling financially, not middle earners.

Please
or

TwinklingFairyLights · 09/05/2022 08:46

bobbingalongside

It's because a lot of this is hitting the very poorest. Meaning people who had next to nothing before anyway and couldn't afford to go out for coffee, dinners, lunching and hair cuts

But those that are t the very poorest are still being hit by bigger bills for gas, food and petrol. The money that must be found to pay for those must mean that other things can't be bought. I'd assumed that most people (like me) would cut discretionary spending.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TwinklingFairyLights · 09/05/2022 08:47

So for example, I'm getting my hair cut every 10 weeks instead of every 8. I've stopped getting pedicures and am doing them at home instead. I've cancelled a couple of subscriptions.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 09/05/2022 09:03

The people who've been hit hardest won't have been doing much of that anyway. Then the people who did have some spare money but not a lot, won't have done it that often for a reduction in their consumption level to be that noticeable.

For people who have more spare money who can do those things more often, the impact probably hasn't fully been felt yet. Our gas and electric DD hasn't gone up much, nowhere near as much as it needs to to fully cover our annual usage, especially if prices go up in the winter. Plus you have people still working at home so won't be using much petrol. Some people will be getting into debt to keep up with their normal levels of spending and might not notice until they can't pay their credit card bill.

Others might have cut down elsewhere, ie no or cheaper holidays, have reduced/stopped savings or overpaying the mortgage. Plus of course you still have people with enough money to carry on as normal such as the well off or young people who live with their parents, pay little or nothing towards bed and board and have hundreds of pounds a month to spend on whatever they like.

Plus if these places were operating at capacity, they continue to do so, they just turn away fewer people. It could take months or a year or two for demand to drop significantly.

Please
or

KangarooKenny · 09/05/2022 09:03

But not getting hair cuts and buying coffees will mean that people lose their jobs.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 09/05/2022 09:11

KangarooKenny

But not getting hair cuts and buying coffees will mean that people lose their jobs.

It will, but people can't spend money they don't have, get into debt, or stop paying their basic living to spend on non-essentials.

Or if they did, it wouldn't be very wise and could have serious consequences (debt, ruined credit rating, repossession etc).

Please
or

Maybeitstimeforachange · 09/05/2022 09:13

it’ll hit hardest next October when fuel goes up again and it’s winter, a lot of people have a buffer so it will not have impacted them yet, I think things will be very different this time next year.

Please
or

HotDogKetchup · 09/05/2022 09:15

Are you hoping we plunge into a deep recession OP?

Please
or

TwinklingFairyLights · 09/05/2022 09:16

KangarooKenny

Well yes. That's kind of my point.

I wondered if any posters worked in industries that are being hit by this. What I'm reading in the news and what I'm seeing in real life aren't matching up.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TwinklingFairyLights · 09/05/2022 09:17

HotDogKetchup

Are you hoping we plunge into a deep recession OP?

Mumsnet madness at it's best 😂

OP's posts:
Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 09/05/2022 09:19

I’m seeing a lot if spending and activity around me but not sure re actual figures, which we will get at some point

everything seems packed but can’t be sure on actual figures

Please
or

TwinklingFairyLights · 09/05/2022 09:20

MarshaBradyo

I’m seeing a lot if spending and activity around me but not sure re actual figures, which we will get at some point

everything seems packed but can’t be sure on actual figures

Exactly this. I don't see the general public cutting back at all.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ylvamoon · 09/05/2022 09:25

At the moment people are enjoying the post covid-19 freedom.
We are at the very start of this crisis.
If the government doesn't intervene, we will see the real impact in 6- 12 months time...

Please
or

OneRingToRuleThemAll · 09/05/2022 09:25

DH works in retail and he says the shops are as busy as ever but that doesn't equate to money in the tills. Lots of people see browsing as a hobby and don't buy anything.

Please
or

ThroughThickAndThin01 · 09/05/2022 09:27

It will hit the middle income people. But autumn at the latest is my feeling.

I lot of people are still doing their planned stuff - birthday celebrations, holidays etc - I think this will tail off noticeably.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 09/05/2022 09:29

I just googled as a reminder but savings rose due to suppressed spending

higher for higher incomes

they thought furlough ending might cause unemployment to dampen that but that hasn’t happened

It will be skewed of course as some have saved more etc. here’s an older article

https://amp.theguardian.com/money/2021/jun/30/covid-savings-britain-built-up-second-highest-level-on-record-in-early-2021

Please
or

AnnotherReader · 09/05/2022 09:31

I have found this too.
There is a lot on here about the cost of living crisis but in real life everywhere we go is so busy.
We went to IKEA in Milton Keynes a few weekends ago and it was the busiest I have ever seen it, we had to leave as I couldn't cope with how crowded it was. We then tried to have lunch out but all the restaurants were full with long waits for tables.
We went to the MK shopping centre this weekend and it was packed, i had booked lunch in advance this time but I had to ring several restaurants to find one with space for a family of 4 for lunch.
Some of my relatives live near Rushden Lakes and they say you can't go at the weekend as it is so busy you can't find a parking space.

Please
or

TwinklingFairyLights · 09/05/2022 09:37

At the moment people are enjoying the post covid-19 freedom

I wondered if this might be the case.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TwinklingFairyLights · 09/05/2022 09:38

MarshaBradyo

I just googled as a reminder but savings rose due to suppressed spending

higher for higher incomes

they thought furlough ending might cause unemployment to dampen that but that hasn’t happened

It will be skewed of course as some have saved more etc. here’s an older article

https://amp.theguardian.com/money/2021/jun/30/covid-savings-britain-built-up-second-highest-level-on-record-in-early-2021

It's like the usual economic rules don't apply.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TwinklingFairyLights · 09/05/2022 09:39

OneRingToRuleThemAll

DH works in retail and he says the shops are as busy as ever but that doesn't equate to money in the tills. Lots of people see browsing as a hobby and don't buy anything.

That's interesting, so are sales down?

OP's posts:
Please
or

balalake · 09/05/2022 09:39

When there was the recession in the early 80s, nights out were not cut back much. Those on lower incomes may have cancelled holidays, spent less on clothing, not bought a newer car, but still kept nights out.

I also think that the reasonably fine and dry weather may have an impact.

Please
or

TwinklingFairyLights · 09/05/2022 09:42

AnnotherReader

I have found this too.
There is a lot on here about the cost of living crisis but in real life everywhere we go is so busy.
We went to IKEA in Milton Keynes a few weekends ago and it was the busiest I have ever seen it, we had to leave as I couldn't cope with how crowded it was. We then tried to have lunch out but all the restaurants were full with long waits for tables.
We went to the MK shopping centre this weekend and it was packed, i had booked lunch in advance this time but I had to ring several restaurants to find one with space for a family of 4 for lunch.
Some of my relatives live near Rushden Lakes and they say you can't go at the weekend as it is so busy you can't find a parking space.

I drove into Manchester on Friday and the only traffic jam was the queues of cars by the Trafford Centre.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ambertonix · 09/05/2022 10:10

I think a lot of it at the moment will be put on credit cards so the impact wont be felt for a few months once the need to pay it back kicks in. People on lower budgets are used to cutting back and watching the pennies whilst those who have enjoyed a higher income for a number of years wont feel the effects for a while but will feel it more substansially i think when it does catch up with them.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.