Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

What does your morning routine with kids and school run look like?

Chippingbird23 · 27/01/2022 18:05

Just that really? I wake earlier then the kids and some mornings are fab and easy and others are like hectic and that’s before I’ve even started work

OP's posts:
Please
or

catchingzzzeds · 27/01/2022 18:20

My mornings are run to military precision.
Night before everyone's clothes are laid out, including mine, lunches are made, homework packed and school bags and shoes are by the door.
I get up at 6 then shower and dress, I wake the 9 year old at 6.30 and he has to be ready downstairs by 6.50. I wake the teenager at 6.50 and he has to get straight in the shower and must be out by 7.10.
Whilst the teen is in the shower I make the breakfasts.
7.15 I brush my teeth, do my make up and dry my hair. The kids brush their teeth at 7.20 and we leave the house at 7.30.
I drop the youngest at breakfast club and I trudge exhausted to work Confused

Please
or

LizBennet · 27/01/2022 18:26

Up at 6, have a shower and then get my children up. Daughter is out the door at 7:30, shortly followed by DP. My son is picked up by the school transport at 8 (he attends a special school). I then go to work. Perpetually knackered.

Please
or

Nevilleslongbottom · 27/01/2022 18:28

Key is clothes out (everybody’s, including underwear) and lunches made night before.
Up at 5.30 and run or gym. Home for 7 when I wake DC and DH. If DC get up early DH keeps them in bed with him. DC2 is 3 often comes in the night and stays there.

I shower and get ready while DC does breakfast (I am very low maintenance!) and then downstairs to cajole them into their clothes, put lunch in bags etc… Out of the door at 8.15 for breakfast club and I go to work.

Please
or

JaniceBingALing · 27/01/2022 18:28

We all wake at 6, kids and DH go down for breakfast and kids dressed whilst I get ready and I'm down by 6.30. I then watch kids whilst DH gets ready until 7 and then I'm out the door. DH leaves at 7.30 to take kids to breakfast club and nursery and then onto work.

Kids are 5, 5 and 2.

Please
or

GTAlogic · 27/01/2022 18:29

Dh does it! He gets up at 6.45 and makes a coffee for himself and a tea for me and then packs up the pack-ups before going for a fag and a shit.

I drag get myself and the dc out of bed at 7ish, get dressed and have my tea before checking facebook and going to work (or whilst waiting for a call if I don't already have any booked).

The dc get themselves dressed and sort their own breakfasts out before chilling out for a while until it's time to go. Dh takes dc2 to school at 8.20. Dc goes alone at 8.10.

Please
or

Fletchersromancing · 27/01/2022 18:30

Clothing, lunches and school bags are made and sorted the night before. Wake up between 7-730am. Kids come downstairs and have breakfast whilst I get ready for work. 8am call the kids to brush teeth and get dressed. I sort out my daughter. Out of the door around 8.20am.

Please
or

MaterialWorld · 27/01/2022 18:30

Since the pandemic....
DH gets up and makes hot drinks for everyone at 6.35. Eldest two are expected to have everything ready the night before, youngest has their things laid out for them.

Slow start whilst everyone comes around, breakfast made by themselves, hair, teeth then lunches packed, water bottles and out the door by 8.05.

On a smooth morning, it's tidy as you go, on a rough morning it's me tidying once they have all been delivered.

Please
or

ponkydonkey · 27/01/2022 18:31

My son who is 8 wakes me up at 7.30 then wakes up his brother who is 17!
Tea (no one talks to me whilst I drink this 🤣
Breakfast
I shower he gets dressed
I make his packed lunch
He gets his shoes and coat on
We leave

It's that easy

Please
or

GaiusHelenMohiam · 27/01/2022 18:35

Alarm goes off at 7 and my phone auto sends a text to DH to ask him for a coffee. I drink coffee in bed and watch the news. Get DS up at about 7.45.

He eats breakfast while I make up his lunchbox. Then he gets dressed, cleans teeth, watches a bit of telly if time and we pop off to school at 8.30. I don’t start work until 10 at the earliest and I work five mins down the road so I shower, walk dogs, have breakfast etc after the school run.

It’s blissful.

When my big two were school age though it was utter fucking carnage. Tantrums and stress most mornings. Chasing our tails and me tearing my hair out. I worked a 9-5 so had to get myself ready while getting them ready. I don’t miss those mornings.

Please
or

Hermanfromguesswho · 27/01/2022 18:37

I get up at 6.30. Wake 3 kids up at 7 (although youngest is usually in my bed by then anyway)
I make packed lunches, they get dressed. Then I get dressed while they eat breakfast. Feed the rabbit and cat then leave at 8. Drop big ones at bus stop, then take little one to school and me to work

Please
or

Pinchofnom · 27/01/2022 18:41

5.30 to get on the peloton
6.30 - shower & teeth brushed
6.45 - 7.30 get ready for work unless I’m WFH and throw on some clean loungewear
7.30 - wake up DC, teeth cleaning and washed face
8.00 - school run (breakfast clubs)

School bags, clothes and shoes all laid out the night before.

Despite getting up at the crack of dawn I seem to rush around like a blue arsed fly daily

Please
or

LBOCS2 · 27/01/2022 18:42

Alarm goes off at 7.15. Wake up DDs, breakfast in pyjamas, teeth then get dressed - uniforms are set up in day-by-day bundles in their room so no faffing about. Aim to leave the house by 8, inevitably leave at 8.10. Drive small one to childminder's, drop her off for 8.20 to be walked to school, take slightly larger one to school ten minutes from our house, run in to her classroom, hand her over. Drive home, have a coffee, at my desk and logging on by 8.55.

I quite often feel like I've done a full day by the time I sit down to work 😬. Things will be vastly improved when DD2 gets a place at the same school as DD1 but she's been at the top of the waiting list for over a year...

Please
or

PinkThingies · 27/01/2022 18:42

Two primary aged, we get up at 7 for breakfast, whilst they're eating and reading I get ready (I shower at night) and let dog out, feed him etc. When I come down at 7.30-7.40 I moan at them to brush their teeth until their dad gets out of the shower when they do it immediately as if by magic. They're usually dressed and done by 8.10 so we all chat as we get the bags ready and eldest leaves at 8.30 whilst I take youngest in the car before heading to work.

If having packed lunch DH will make them when he comes down. Aside from teeth our mornings are usually pretty chilled.

Please
or

sparkycats · 27/01/2022 18:43

Everything ready by the door the night before. Kids clothes on the end of the bed- this is a more recent approach and saves so much time and stress.

Up at 7, DH stays in bed. Get the dcs up and I get ready and all downstairs eating breakfast by 7.30. Empty dishwater or load dishwasher whilst preparing breakfast. I go up and get ready at 7.40. DH calls kids for hair/teeth at 7.45 whilst I finish getting ready, might do a few jobs like putting washing on/ tidying/ hanging up clothes depending on the time.

Out the door by 8/8.05.

Please
or

Christmas1988 · 27/01/2022 18:47

7.55 wake up
7.56 start getting dressed
8.00 get eldest washed and dressed
8.05 make breakfast
8.10 eat breakfast
8.20 get youngest washed and dressed
8.30 teeth
8.35 shoes on get in car
8.45 drop eldest at school

Then myself and the youngest have a leisurely bath or shower

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 27/01/2022 18:47

Wow.
Ideally kids bags clothes and shoes are trash night before but def not always.
We aim to get up at 7.30 but realistically it is often more like 8. Get coffee and then wake up kids (6 and 8). Kids get dressed then go down stairs for breakfast. They then brush teeth and get shoes and coats on. One of us takes them to school at 8.45ish- is only 5m walk each way. We then have breakfast etc when we get back as we both wfh most days.

We do exercising and showers etc in the evening

I feel very lazy listening to these responses

Please
or

HeyMoana · 27/01/2022 18:48

6am up - Shower
6.15 am - Homework with earlier riser DD (6). Coffee
6.45am - Eldest dressed and toast.
7.00am - Make own lunch. Take coffee to husband who will get up at 7.30 and repeat process with late riser DD(4). Then take to school at 8.30.
7.15 - Out the door to work.

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 27/01/2022 18:48

are put out

Please
or

RussianSpy101 · 27/01/2022 18:49

The same as @catchingzzzeds with slightly different timings. I’m very organised and everyone knows what they need to do

Please
or

SevenAndEightt · 27/01/2022 18:50

I get most things ready each Sunday and then the night before will sort out underwear uniforms book bags etc etc etc and then dh does the drop off to breakfast club each day as I’m unable to manage it (I am autistic) so he does it then goes to work

Please
or

ParkheadParadise · 27/01/2022 18:51

Everything is laid out the night before.
Dd(6) wakes at 7.30
I go in and open the blinds and window. Tell her to get up, she tells me she's thinking about something???
7.45 I pull the duvet off
She's usually up and washed for 8am.
Get dressed I do her hair while she eats her breakfast ( by this point I'm close to losing it)😂
8.30 Coat on, I've got her bag and lunch bag, out into the car, she needs the toilet back into the house.
8.45 Drop her at school.
DH leaves at 7 so doesn't do a school morning.
If dd wasn't told to move and hurry up constantly in the morning she's still be wondering about in a dream state at 10am.

Please
or

Doubleraspberry · 27/01/2022 18:51

DH/me (he works away a lot so depends whether he's there) up at 6.30am, shower, dress.

Start waking kids at 7am, spend half an hour getting them up on a bad day. Breakfast for them while I make one packed lunch and find clothes (DH has sorted clothes the night before because he is a better person than me). Two kids dress themselves, I dress the one who needs help.

Last minute giant shouting match of confusion over teeth/shoes/coats/gloves/hair till eldest leaves at 8.15 to get the bus. Me and little two leave at 8.20 to walk to school. Back by 9am to make myself a coffee and sit down at my desk.

All of this is up in the air if one of them decides they're not going to school that day and has to be persuaded. Two children with ASD and iron wills can be hard work.

Please
or

Nutrigrainygoodness · 27/01/2022 18:55

I wake up at 7 and get myself ready. (Bath at night)
Go into dd (12) room and try to wake the dead.
Turn on her light and leave
Get screamed at by the cat for dreamies
Make dds sandwich and pack her lunch (she is perfectly capable, but this week I bought melon, and there is no way I'm having her cutting a melon when she's just woken up 😂)
Have some cereal
At half 7 I shout dd I get a mumbled reply
10 mins later I hear her dragging herself down the stairs looking slightly dishevelled.
She eats a cereal bar and has a glass of water.
She goes and brushes her teeth and her hair.
She makes sure her bag is packed and she has her mask and keys
Scrolls tik tok for 5 mins
8am she leaves the house.

Please
or

PiesNotGuys · 27/01/2022 18:56

The DC get themselves up and washed and dressed and breakfasted.

I get up about half an hour after they do, the first time I see them in the morning they have their school uniforms on and have usually had their first breakfast (usually cereal, sometimes toast, which doesn’t count as an actual meal according to them). I make coffee for me and second breakfast, fruit, porridge, pancakes, toast type thing for them. I usually have to send them back up to brush their teeth or hair or something they forgot. I read emails, drink coffee and load the dishwasher, washing machine etc.

Packed lunches are done the night before, so collected from fridge and shoes, coat on. The olders go to school earlier so they leave. The younger watches cartoons whilst I get ready, then we walk to school, then I go on to work.

Please
or

Discwriter · 27/01/2022 18:59

We live 3 min from the school and work from home so our mornings are quite easy. Up at 7:30-8:00, breakfast, I get them dressed while DH makes the packed lunches. Shoes, teeth, coats, and out the door at 8:55. I start work at 9:30.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.