Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

World book day for girls

leanandkeenintheory · 27/01/2022 13:37

I have a DD who's at preschool, I can of course buy her the of one costume of her favourite books, but I have realised they are all male characters, such as Paddington, Zog, stickman. She's not into princesses as yet, she's just turned 3. I already have a DS so hadn't really thought about the lack of female leads.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TeenPlusCat · 27/01/2022 13:42

Does she like Room on the Broom?
Or Lola from Charlie and Lola?
Or Daisy from 'I don't like Peas' (or whatever it is called)
or The Little Princess

Please
or

blowupthehouseandmove · 27/01/2022 13:43

A pirate from The Night Pirates, a book about tough girl pirates and their friend Tom, my daughter loved this book Grin

Please
or

Moonface123 · 27/01/2022 13:46

Peppa Pig , Goldilocks, Angelina Ballerina ?

Please
or

MrsHGWells · 27/01/2022 13:48

The WBD costume just has to be a character the child adores or simply a character Dd wants to dress up .. girls are much easier than boys tbh.

Charlie and Lola
Pollyanna
Anne of green gables
The Tiger who came to tea
Mary Poppins
Countless Disney productions - many female leads
Gymnast, Dancer, Ballerina, etc

Please
or

G5000 · 27/01/2022 13:49

If she can dress up as a bear or a dragon then the fact that those imaginary characters are imagined as male should not really be an issue. If that's her favourite book she should be able to dress up as one of them.

DD wants to be a t-rex this year. I don't think she is very concerned about this being a female t-rex.

Please
or

TeenPlusCat · 27/01/2022 13:50

Mog

Please
or

minipie · 27/01/2022 13:50

The second Zog book has a doctor princess, just need a doctors coat and stethoscope (maybe a crown!)

No reason why she can’t dress as a male character though. DD went as Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory a couple of years ago. That’s the whole point of dressing up, ok she’s not a boy but then she’s not a dragon or a stick or a bear either!!

Please
or

TeenPlusCat · 27/01/2022 13:51

There is still an issue that there are more male characters than female. Probably because publishers think girls are OK reading about boys but think boys may not like reading about female characters.

Please
or

AdaColeman · 27/01/2022 13:52

Reckless Ruby
Little Miss Naughty

Please
or

Deathraystare · 27/01/2022 14:01

@G5000

DD wants to be a t-rex this year. I don't think she is very concerned about this being a female t-rex.

Cool. Nor should She! If there were no female T Rexs ever, there would not have been Male ones!!!!!

Thank goodness one girl. does not want to be a princess!!!

Please
or

minipie · 27/01/2022 14:04

@TeenPlusCat

There is still an issue that there are more male characters than female. Probably because publishers think girls are OK reading about boys but think boys may not like reading about female characters.

True.
Please
or

leanandkeenintheory · 27/01/2022 14:11

Of course she can dress up as a male character, but how many of you would send your DS as female characters? And Zog is a he, as he tries his hardest everyday to win a Golden star. It just made me think about it.

If her favourite book was dinosaur Roar then a dinosaur would be perfect to go as a dinosaur, but she's very specific on what she'll listen to. And she has to take the book in, and I can imagine a right strop if I try to convince her.

OP's posts:
Please
or

G5000 · 27/01/2022 14:15

It would be different if you were forcing her into a male character's costume, whether she wants it or not. But if she wants to go as Zog, let her.

Please
or

minipie · 27/01/2022 14:22

how many of you would send your DS as female characters?

Just because some boys’ parents are sexist doesn’t mean you have to be!

Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 27/01/2022 14:24

how many of you would send your DS as female characters?

I would if he asked. Especially at 3yo! In fact he asked the Nursery staff to be an angel in their nativity. So he was. In a dress, just like the other angels. The teacher found me and assured me he had asked, rather than they asked him, but I just shrugged. At 3 they can surely dress up however they like!

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 27/01/2022 14:24

One of the boys a couple of years below DD turned up as Goldilocks a couple of years ago!

Please
or

Woeismethischristmas · 27/01/2022 14:25

When my twins were that age they went as an Oompa Loompa and Willy Wonka, other costumes have included fantastic Mr Fox and an aeroplane. They really want to be the two dancing dogs from a Charlie and Lola book I am not sleepy and I will not go to bed next. Fun of dressing up is being a little bit creative.

Please
or

BendingSpoons · 27/01/2022 14:26

My DD was Madame Dragon last year in Reception. She chose that over Zog, I think because her brother has a Madame Dragon toy. Another time she was Princess Pearl who is a pretty cool character. But I do get your point that a lot of the characters are male.

Please
or

Spinnier · 27/01/2022 14:29

isn't there a princess in Zog?

It easy to overthink this. My DD's first dressing up she went as one of the 3 bears from Goldilocks, because I had a bear costume. The other 8 girls in her group were all Disney princesses so I'm not sure it was my greatest parenting moment ever.

However she was very happy to be a bear, and she is still an avid reader lining up to do English A level, even though she didn't get to dress up as her actual most favourite book character at age 2.

Please
or

Spinnier · 27/01/2022 14:32

oh or how about making her one of the stick children three? Why would she have to be the dad?

Please
or

gogohm · 27/01/2022 14:33

Dd1 went as a dragon once, definitely unisex, dd2 went as the gruffulo (acquired the costume!) again unisex. Don't overthink it, I've seen male Disney "princesses" over the years too

Please
or

grey12 · 27/01/2022 14:35

This is totally a personal preference thing but I like getting my kids something that can be worn with normal clothes: wings, a hat, a funny skirt, an accessory..... and it goes in a dress up box Wink (they do have a Elsa dress......... Blush)

One year DD1 went as the unicorn in "sugarlump and the unicorn" with a headband and a colourful tule skirt

Please
or

Vanillaradio · 27/01/2022 15:04

She can be Zog if she wants- yes Zog is a boy and she's not but she's not a dragon either! And if my ds chose to be a female character that's what he would be (the boys used to queue up for the Elsa and Tinkerbell dresses at nursery!)
But for female characters- for example if she likes Julia Donaldson then she could be Princess Pearl from Zog (who is my opinion the best character!), the witch from Room on the Broom, Stick lady, the Gruffalo's Child, Snail from the Snail and the Whale, the ladybird from What the Ladybird heard etc.

Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 27/01/2022 15:36

My 10yo dd went as Wheres Wally last time. I don't understand why a child can't just go in a costume that fits nicely in the Venn diagram of "something the child likes" and "something the parent can supply"

Please
or

CarButtonCloth · 27/01/2022 17:48

Some of my (now older) DD's costumes - Worst Witch, Hermione Granger, Lyra Belacqua, Alice in Wonderland, Willy Wonka (obvs not a girl!), Kamikaze from How to train your dragon. Could also do fairytale characters (Snow White, Cinderella, Goldilocks etc), Boudicca, Queen Elizabeth etc (from Horrible Histories), Pippi Longstocking, Matilda, Tinkerbell, Susan or Lucy from Narnia books, Daisy from Kes Gray's books, many Jacqueline Wilson characters, many Enid Blyton characters, Peppa Pig, Upsy Daisy, or any fairy from (hated by MN!) Rainbow Magic series.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.