Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Safeguarding issues in the Girl Guiding movement

EishetChayil · 23/11/2021 07:48

Parents of daughters in the Girl Guides - what do you think about the new lead commissioner for the Southwell division?

"Monica Sulley" also goes by the name of "Monica Tetley", and used this name to sign Aimee Challenor's open letters (a quick Google will shed some light on why this might be a safeguarding issue). This is just the latest in a series of WTF moves from GG.

My DD isn't old enough for Guides yet, but if she was, I would be thinking twice about sending her if this is deemed suitable as leadership. Perhaps this makes me a huge transphobic TERF witch bigot, but there we go.

Safeguarding issues in the Girl Guiding movement
OP's posts:
Please
or

KitBumbleB · 23/11/2021 08:04

WTAF

My jaw dropped

Surely GG should have checked the social media of all new volunteers and staff in a safeguarding role. In my role (safeguarding related) I had to sign to say my work could check my SM.

Their sex life is hopefully nothing to do with their professional life, but incredibly inappropriate to have that picture online

Sorry if that was a ramble....need coffee!

Please
or

CentrifugalBumblePuppy · 23/11/2021 08:07

I’m ex GG and it’s fine to do whatever floats your boat at home, but don’t spread the pics on your social media ffs.

Please
or

MrsColon · 23/11/2021 08:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

MajorCarolDanvers · 23/11/2021 08:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Quotes deleted post

Please
or

ofwarren · 23/11/2021 08:11

I've just looked on twitter and omg!
That photo is tame compared to the others!
There is a topless one, ones with swords and ones with guns!
Also posts of a very sexual manner!

Please
or

ellyoctober · 23/11/2021 08:14

Their twitter is now private Hmm

Please
or

Shedmistress · 23/11/2021 08:15

How is this an issue, this is what the whole getting rid of people who raised safeguarding concerns was all about? Do you think people were raising concerns for fun?

Please
or

Whatsnewpussyhat · 23/11/2021 08:18

Yes but we're not allowed to state the obvious are we. We are being forced to not say exactly what we all know is happening.

Male feelings matter more than child safeguarding. Such bullshit.

Please
or

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 23/11/2021 08:20

In our family we have no experience with GG or Scouts, so I am relying on what others have said here, but apparently GG's policy on transidentifying members and leaders is that nobody has any right to know they are trans, so parents would not be notified if a tranwoman leader was going to take Guides/Brownies away on a residential trip, or if a transgirl had joined and was going to be on the trip. In the case of a transgirl, I believe GG's view is that transgirls are girls so there are no issues about sharing accommodation, showers, loos with the other girls.

Fortunately they backtracked on their initial decision that transboys would have to leave GG as boys are not accepted as members. Some might feel that a young female child or teenager experiencing gender-related confusion and distress is particularly in need of single-sex spaces to get away from the male gaze and harassment which are one big reason so many young girls are struggling. That, and the omnipresent gender stereotyping and pressure to conform which social media has made much worse. And (in the past) it might have been the only place a young girl could have seen an all-female leadership team in action. I got that from attending a girls' school with no male teachers (a long time ago), but most girls won't have that experience.

Please
or

00100001 · 23/11/2021 08:21

I don't think what an adult dies in their personal life has anything to do with their suitability for being a GG leader tbh.

However, I fundamentally disagree with males being allowed to join girl guiding, which they are now allowed to do. This goes against everything Girl Guiding is supposed to be about. Giving girls a female only, female led environment where females can lead, empower each other and change the world.

Please
or

Shedmistress · 23/11/2021 08:27

However, I fundamentally disagree with males being allowed to join girl guiding, which they are now allowed to do

How is this lady a male? Can't you see the boobs? And the dress?

Please
or

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 23/11/2021 08:29

I'm sure plenty of adults have stuff in their private life that would raise an eyebrow if revealed publicly. Most don't choose to post about those things on social media with selfies, though. This suggests a lack of judgement and also a total failure to read, consider and follow the Girlguiding Code of Conduct.

www.girlguiding.org.uk/making-guiding-happen/policies/code-of-conduct/

Your Girlguiding Volunteer Code of Conduct
As a Girlguiding volunteer you must always:

Be a good role model with behaviour and an attitude that are in line with our values and the Promise.
Comply with all applicable UK laws and guidance. If your unit is based outside the UK or you are part of an activity outside the UK, you must also abide by the law of that country.
Make sure you follow Girlguiding policies and procedures and re-read them regularly so you are informed of updates. If you have gaps in your understanding, talk to your local commissioner or adviser.
Deliver the Girlguiding programme to young members if you are a unit volunteer. When volunteering with adults in guiding, support them to meet the Girlguiding programme requirements, to play your part in giving a consistently great Girlguiding experience.
Be responsible and accountable in the way you perform your role.
Be fair and treat everyone with respect and dignity in accordance with our Equality and Diversity policy.
Respect privacy in line with our policies and guidance.
Communicate in an open and respectful way, whether in person, by phone, writing or digital media.
Work together with Girlguiding members, their parents or carers and members of the public to promote Girlguiding's mission and values.
As a Girlguiding volunteer you must not act fraudulently or dishonestly. Or do anything which brings, or is likely to bring, Girlguiding into disrepute or have a negative impact on Girlguiding or its reputation.

Please
or

ChaToilLeam · 23/11/2021 08:31

This person should not be allowed anywhere near Girl Guiding. A totally inappropriate individual.

Please
or

picklemewalnuts · 23/11/2021 08:35

That is absolute extraordinary. Whatever were they thinking? Has the need to demonstrate inclusion softened their brains to the point they no longer fulfil their actual purpose?

Please
or

WholeClassKeptIn · 23/11/2021 08:37

Please
or

BringMeTea · 23/11/2021 08:44

Very important to keep these matters in the public gaze. Let us try to keep some safe spaces for girls and women.

Please
or

CentrifugalBumblePuppy · 23/11/2021 08:53

I’m not the greatest fan of GG despite being a leader for over a decade, but during safeguarding training you are taught that you must never be in a situation where you are the only leader with a single child, be you male, female or anyone in between (my Rainbow unit would have died without having my husband as my Unit Helper).

Parents very much see GG as a babysitting option & never volunteer to train to help, I’ve had parents astonished we’re not paid.

Was my husband ever put in a situation where he was alone with a single child? Absolutely not. Do single adults sleep in the same area as the girls? Absolutely not.

As a woman, was I ever in a situation where I was alone with a child? Absolutely not. I led Units across all sections from 5-26 year olds. As the First Aider from Unit to County events, I always ensured there was another pair of hands (or at least multiple children) to avoid being in a one on one situation. And did first aid in a quiet corner of any space which had other activities being conducted by Leaders.

At camps or indoor holidays where there was a dedicated first aid room, I’d still make sure I was never in a one on one situation.

I’m in no way defending their policy to admit trans women into the movement. I’ll be honest, I left due to illness rather than their trans policies. But it’s pounded into you that one on one interactions are forbidden, adult leaders only sleep in the same rooms as the girls when there is no individual leader’s room (for example, a large sleepover event at the Space Centre or a Zoo where there are multiple adults and girls sleeping in the area, again, no one on one interactions), and even treating girls that I’m related too, I’d ensure there was at least one other girl present when I did first aid!

Maybe if there were more women who took time out to volunteer, they wouldn’t have to spread their net to appeal to a trans audience.

Off the record, there is a crisis in the number of Leaders versus girls on waiting lists. Whatever political or woke agenda they choose I personally think it’s is to get more Leaders.

Women leave hand over fist due to some female leaders being nasty, bitter women who GG won’t reign in, bitching, goddess complex issues, sheer amount of paperwork on top of your regular job, amount of time prepping activities… I’d do more hours of prep per week across all Units than my 50 hr a week job ffs. And in my final year, I had 3 weekends in 52 weeks that weren’t taken by training, events, sleepovers/indoor holidays/camps, planning sessions. And bugger all support when I became seriously ill.

Sod that.

(Full disclosure, I have trans friends of both birth sexes, this issue is not a hill I wish to either defend or die on).

Please
or

endofthelinefinally · 23/11/2021 08:58

@Shedmistress

However, I fundamentally disagree with males being allowed to join girl guiding, which they are now allowed to do

How is this lady a male? Can't you see the boobs? And the dress?

I really hope you are being sarcastic...

It is hard to know any more.
Please
or

Iggly · 23/11/2021 09:00

I don't think what an adult dies in their personal life has anything to do with their suitability for being a GG leader tbh

Really Hmm

Please
or

GuidingSpirit · 23/11/2021 09:01

@00100001

I don't think what an adult dies in their personal life has anything to do with their suitability for being a GG leader tbh.

However, I fundamentally disagree with males being allowed to join girl guiding, which they are now allowed to do. This goes against everything Girl Guiding is supposed to be about. Giving girls a female only, female led environment where females can lead, empower each other and change the world.

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding about men in Girlguiding on MN. Men have been permitted to be part of Girlguiding for a long time. They cannot become leaders or members but can be recognised support in units. They are DBS and reference checked in the same way as female volunteers. There are specific procedures for camps and residentials - including separate accommodation and toilet facilities. We have had some absolutely brilliant dads help in our area, who have been great role models for girls who may not have a strong male role model in their life. There seems to be a view that GG have "recently" started admitting men, but this is not the case.

www.girlguiding.org.uk/what-we-do/our-stories-and-news/blogs/dads-love-volunteering/

Obviously the pros and cons of that can be debated, but i just wanted to make it clear as on MN it seems to often come up when discussing the policy around trans members / volunteers.

Anyone concerned about this particular volunteer can make a complaint to HQ.
www.girlguiding.org.uk/making-guiding-happen/policies/complaints-policy/complaints-procedure/
Please
or

CentrifugalBumblePuppy · 23/11/2021 09:04

To add; these will never be safe spaces in terms of being for girls and women only. There just aren’t enough women volunteering. Hence why I had to accept help from my husband as a Unit Leader otherwise I couldn’t have run the Rainbow Unit without it. Yes, I had another female Leader, but still with ratio limits I needed another pair of hands for the number of girls wanting places. I didn’t have a single Mum volunteer to train.

In ten years, not one.

And when you have 5-7 years olds with low adult to child ratios (can’t remember off the top of my head, medications wipe my brain, because, illness, but 1:6 on outdoor events I believe) you need those extra pairs of hands.

Tried a parent rota, about 10% would sign up then make an excuse on the day.

And every Unit in my District had husbands as Unit Helpers or Occasional Helpers. People want their girls to have the experiences GG offer, but won’t help to keep those Units open by volunteering to help!

But, not my circus, not my monkeys. I’m just glad I don’t have to deal with the political bullshit & nasty gossiping harridans stamping their feet to be top dog. Bollocks to all that.

Please
or

Shedmistress · 23/11/2021 09:07

There are specific procedures for camps and residentials - including separate accommodation and toilet facilities.

Do you mean separate so 4 types:
Adult female
Adult male
GG female
GG male

And if so, where are you placing this person?

Please
or

MultiStorey · 23/11/2021 09:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Whatsnewpussyhat · 23/11/2021 09:09

Please
or

Warmduscher · 23/11/2021 09:14

@Shedmistress

There are specific procedures for camps and residentials - including separate accommodation and toilet facilities.

Do you mean separate so 4 types:
Adult female
Adult male
GG female
GG male

And if so, where are you placing this person?

I’d be interested to hear the answer too.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.