My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Is anyone going to try to get away for a few days over half term?

31 replies

Gintime74 · 20/10/2020 20:45

I would love to try for a break somewhere but I just don’t know if it’s more hassle than it’s worth?

OP posts:
SavageBeauty73 · 20/10/2020 20:46

Nope. London is tier 2 so I don't think we are allowed to travel. Teens and I are happy chilling at home.

Lindor · 20/10/2020 20:54

:( just had our planned week away in the Brecon Beacons cancelled due to Welsh lockdown

MasksGlovesSoapScrubs · 20/10/2020 20:55

No. We just need to sit tight.

missmouse101 · 20/10/2020 20:58

Minimising travel and reducing mixing of people is essential. A holiday is not helping with that. I'd forget it.

Gintime74 · 21/10/2020 21:38

Yes thank you that’s what I thought, just dreaming. First bit of time off work I’ve had since February and desperate for an escape. I will do some diy and cleaning and have some movie nights with dcs.

OP posts:
Figgygal · 21/10/2020 21:39

Thought about it a lot but decided not to at the moment

Lollypop701 · 21/10/2020 21:46

We were off this week, just back from Cumbria caravan holiday. Tbf it’s our tin can but we do use toilet/showers. the lakes have got social distancing nailed. Walking and eating, lovely!

terriblyangryattimes · 21/10/2020 21:55

We are going to Scotland. Booked in summer hols (whilst we were not on a holiday we should have been on!)

Started to regret it a few weeks ago when the central belt lockdown was announced but we are staying a few nights in a hotel so can eat there and a few more in and air bnb so can cook for ourselves there. We would have cancelled it but the kids are too excited about it to do that to them.

OlegBurov · 21/10/2020 21:56

Yes, we are.

Whitegrenache · 21/10/2020 21:57

Off to loch lomand for 4 nights- won't be going anywhere other than walking outdoors then eating lovely food and then drinking in the hot tub!

TweeterandtheMonkeyman · 21/10/2020 22:00

Yes we are , and I know other families who are . Just a couple of nights in a hotel. Tier 2 & Tier 3 up North (at least we’re not bothering Tier 1 I suppose!)

Normandy144 · 21/10/2020 22:03

Lots of days out planned as have all of half term off. DH and I managing to get a night away on our own so really looking forward to it.

Shieldingending · 21/10/2020 22:03

We were but have cancelled because we are in a tier 3 area. We weren't travelling for (Lancashire to Cumbria) but as they are tier 1 that seems wrong

NellWilsonsWhiteHair · 21/10/2020 22:07

Hoping to. Tier 2 travelling to tier 1. My understanding of the rules is that this is permitted?

It says something about minimising travel, but it’s not as strongly worded as ‘essential travel only’. I’ve kept to the rules and their spirit so far and will largely continue to do so, but with a long winter ahead I am keen to get a little break in if we can.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams · 21/10/2020 22:29

Nope. Can't be arsed. Have cancelled three holidays this year and it's just not the same to travel somewhere else and lockdown there. What's the point? I feel dreadfully sorry for the hospitality trade but we are trying to do our bit locally.

Have taken 3 days off and so far have had a wombling day in local village to pick up some kids shoes and basics (mostly outdoor gear - think it will be a while before they need smart stuff for anything), lunch and hobby craft that sorts the rest of half term. Today weather was shit so the kids have pottered, done a bit of holiday homework and a film in front of the fire this afternoon. Tomorrow weather looks good so long walk is planned and hopefully lunch out as we are still in lowest tier.

Muchtoomuchtodo · 21/10/2020 22:32

No chance here 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿☹️
All of ds1’s birthday plans are off. ☹️☹️

TheHouseonHauntedHill · 21/10/2020 22:49

If London is tier two can you travel into London?
We were going for a short break but didn't fancy it.

FizzyPink · 21/10/2020 22:52

Yes Tier 2 can travel into Tier 1 but you can only stay with your household so couldn’t stay with friends for example. We’re doing a couple of days in the Cotswolds in an AirBnB that has cooking facilities should restaurants be an issue

Cuppaand2biscuits · 21/10/2020 22:55

We've cancelled ours, didn't seem the right thing to be travelling. We are tier 2.

Abracadabra12345 · 21/10/2020 22:58

Yes definitely

MummyInTheNecropolis · 21/10/2020 23:03

We are on half term now and are at Butlins. We’re having a great time, everyone is wearing masks and distancing as much as possible, they make you scan the track and trace app everywhere you go and all activities have to be booked in advance as numbers are limited. It feels very safe but not too different to normal, the kids are loving it.

Gintime74 · 22/10/2020 00:16

Oh now I don’t know! I live in tier 1 but work in tier 2 but will have my weekly Covid test tomorrow so by Saturday will have result. I might just look for a UK short break in another tier 1 area.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Triangularbubble · 22/10/2020 00:18

No, cancelled it. My priority is my kids being in school, them catching random germs (covid or otherwise) or becoming a “contact” by mixing with loads of others at a holiday park type place just doesn’t seem sensible - I do not want to test or isolate if I can help it. Outdoor activities close to home only here. I have a lengthy itinerary for next summer though!

Figgygal · 22/10/2020 10:55

@Triangularbubble agree keeping my kids in school/nursery (and well) is my priority we always go away October half term but not taking any extra risk of exposure this year

DebbieFiderer · 22/10/2020 11:05

We've booked a caravan holiday for a weekend. Both areas are tier 1, just our household, so no additional risks, just getting away for a few days.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.