My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Has anyone successfully got rid of nail fungus?

63 replies

RUOKHon · 15/10/2020 22:09

I have had one infected toenail for about three years. Nothing I’ve tried from over the counter so far has worked. It’s starting to really piss me off. Has anyone got any miracle cures I should try?

OP posts:
InTheLongGrass · 15/10/2020 22:16

Yes, but it took months of tablets from the GP.

YesIDoLoveCrisps · 15/10/2020 22:20

Hydrogen peroxide. Cover the nail in it twice a day.

AndromedaPerseus · 15/10/2020 22:20

Get a fungicide cream from GP, wear cotton socks and leather shoes. Air up your feet frequently

dementedpixie · 15/10/2020 22:20

My dh also ended up with prescribed antifungal tablets from the gp too. You need regular blood tests if you take them as they can affect your liver

Bwlch · 15/10/2020 22:20

Terbinafine tablets.

DottyWott · 15/10/2020 22:21

Same as @InTheLongGrass, months of terbinafine but it worked

lachy · 15/10/2020 22:23

Vicks vaporub.

It's working wonders on my manky toenail.

Drowninginwashing · 15/10/2020 22:25

You have to take tablets from GP. And it takes a while because your toenails grow slowly so the infection takes a while to grow out. But it is SO worth it.

MollynAlly · 15/10/2020 22:30

I had both on my toenails I tried tree oil, bought other oils from amazon, tried scholl stuff from boots nothing ever worked- until I made an appointment with GP and showed her, she prescribed me a tablet - cannot remember the name now but started with a 'tera...'something like this. Anyways I took these tablets for 6 months and they are both gone for good, it is now almost two years I am so happy to be able to wear flip flops, open toe shoes again! Definitely see your GP

goldrabbit22 · 15/10/2020 22:31

YES!!

After every bath at night time. when my nails are soft. I apply Vicks vapour rub. It works.

Cuddling57 · 15/10/2020 22:32

I'm using a light machine on my toe right now!

www.amazon.co.uk/Med-Fit-Rechargeable-Fungus-Models-Philips/dp/B01N6ZN66W?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21
I don't want to take tablets that could harm my liver.
I wanted to try this because it was throbbing and itching and keeping me up at night sometimes.
This has definitely improved it although not eradicated it completely.

missminimum · 15/10/2020 22:33

My son had this for many years as a child and was too young for oral prescription so we filed it and treated it topically for years. What worked in the end was him having orthotic inserts in his shoes. It turned out that his toes were hitting the roof of his shoes on impact, causing trauma and insoles stopped tnis. It may be worth thinking of your shoes and gait, as well as medication

Mykittensaremyfriends · 15/10/2020 22:35

Soak your foot in distilled white vinegar for half an hour a day. It works!

madcatladyforever · 15/10/2020 22:36

A damaged nail looks exactly the same as a fungal nail. You need to send nail clippings off to the lab to determine which it is via GP if they are doing that with covid going on, they were pre covid.
A damaged nail bed cannot be fixed with terbinafine or anything else, the nail will never recover.

TigerDroveAgain · 15/10/2020 22:40

Terbafine isn’t prescribed in my area (leafy Cotswolds). I’ve got one toenail looking ok after 6 months of applying Nailner. The other one looks horrid.

NewYorkNewYorkNewYork · 15/10/2020 22:49

@lachy

Vicks vaporub.

It's working wonders on my manky toenail.

☝🏼☝🏼☝🏼
Another vote from me. Whack it on and leave overnight. Amazing stuff. Nail is back normal
Chickydoo · 15/10/2020 22:54

Had fungal big toe nails for about 5 or 6 years. Decided to tackle it in lockdown. No nail polish and flip flops all summer. Have applied boots fungal nail solution twice a day since April. It has completely cleared up. I am so pleased! 6 months of applying liquid to nails, keeping them short, & being diligent about applying the solution. It does work, you just need to be patient.

AnnaMagnani · 15/10/2020 22:59

Terbinafine. Bought privately from Lloyds - had to send them a photo of my manky toenail.

Spent 10 years wasting my time with tea tree oil and the anti fungal nail lacquer. Utterly useless.

LagneyandCasey · 15/10/2020 23:10

Neat Tea tree oil. Lots of it. I put it on morning and evening and often during the day as well. At night I doused a piece of cotton wool and taped it to my toe so it soaked all night. As my nail grew I filed off the horrible bit. It took about 6 months before I saw new healthy growth and around a year before my nail was fungus free. I still use the tea tree now on a my nails as I believe it can help stop a recurrence.

Hopethiswilldo · 15/10/2020 23:28

Terbinafine seems a nasty medicine to me with all the liver tests and possible side effects. I took it for a month and it brought me out in pityriasis rosea which I was then stuck with for 6 weeks. Must work for some though!

thenightsky · 15/10/2020 23:31

@Chickydoo

Had fungal big toe nails for about 5 or 6 years. Decided to tackle it in lockdown. No nail polish and flip flops all summer. Have applied boots fungal nail solution twice a day since April. It has completely cleared up. I am so pleased! 6 months of applying liquid to nails, keeping them short, & being diligent about applying the solution. It does work, you just need to be patient.

Exactly the same for me. I started last November, intending to use the winter to tackle it. Then lockdown meant no parties or holidays, so no need to hide nails under varnish. Treated with Boots fungal nail solution right through summer, along with lots of sunshine. My nails are slightly thinner and look less like hooves, but no way cured. I'm going to carry on until next summer I think.
Emmapeeler2 · 15/10/2020 23:34

I am using Emtrix every night. I can't say if it is working yet but am going to persevere.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

RUOKHon · 15/10/2020 23:34

It’s only my second toe - the one next to my big toe. Six months of potentially liver-damaging tablets seems extreme for such a small thing. Also, I heard you can’t drink on those tablets Shock. I’m no issue as but I would miss a Friday night G&T!

I guess maybe I need to be more patient - pick just one treatment and stick to it for longer than I have been. Chopping and changing treatments doesn’t give antthing time to work, maybe?

Does tea tree oil really do anything? I’ve tried it over the years for all sorts and it has been fuck all good for anything in my experience.

OP posts:
SwimmingOnEggshells · 15/10/2020 23:43

My dh took the tablets and his manky nail is gone now.

He has a history of jaundice so they were cautious but he was fine! He drank throughout too.

ajandjjmum · 15/10/2020 23:47

I took the tablets for around 8 months, and my nails have been great since. I'd had it for around 2 years, and tried everything, including Vick!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.