My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Why no welcome pack?

76 replies

wowfudge · 10/10/2020 07:37

We're away in an Airbnb in the UK and there's no welcome pack due to Covid 19. I realise I may be being dim, but why is this? I can understand not giving you things like loose tea bags, but why not a pint of milk or wrapped items?

OP posts:
1hamwich4 · 10/10/2020 07:38

Times are hard and luxuries are getting trimmed?

wowfudge · 10/10/2020 07:40

A pint of milk isn't a luxury though is it? I'm not objecting to there not being one, just don't understand the issue.

OP posts:
YukoandHiro · 10/10/2020 07:41

Just fewer things touched by another party I guess.

OrangeGinLemonFanta · 10/10/2020 07:43

Dunno. I stayed at a premier inn the other night and they managed tea, coffee and milk. Maybe they can't fit in popping to the shop with the extra cleaning time?

wowfudge · 10/10/2020 07:44

I get that, but then there are other things in the cottage which seem to contradict it.

OP posts:
1hamwich4 · 10/10/2020 07:49

I get your point about milk not being luxurious but if it’s an Airbnb they are probably doing changeover every day or two and the cost of a pint etc for each guest adds up pretty quickly?

Added to the extra costs of all the Covid faffery I expect they have to do I can imagine it tipping things over the edge into being uneconomic to run.

Silvercatowner · 10/10/2020 08:10

Welcome packs are nice, but not obligatory. I've stayed in a few airbnbs - huge variation in what is provided and what not.

Caspianberg · 10/10/2020 09:41

In the uk I think theirs lots of rental restrictions right now. Every welcome pack would have to be bought and not touched for 3 days before guests, which I guess is a) unrealistic b) off milk

ZoominMoomin · 10/10/2020 09:50

As others said - cost and risk of it carrying the virus. No one wants to be responsible for someone getting ill with it, so it's best to just cut that avenue off if possible, which is what seems to be happening here. Are you really that bothered though? It's normally just a small jug of milk, a few tea bags and biscuits. I'd rather buy my own that chance eating something someone else has had their potentially washed hands on.

VinylDetective · 10/10/2020 09:54

It varies obviously. We had a holiday cottage a couple of weeks ago and were given a pint of milk, teabags for the entire stay (!) and a tin of home made flapjack. Why on earth would milk need to be quarantined for three days? We weren’t doing that in April.

chromis · 10/10/2020 09:57

I wouldn't use the milk, tea or biscuits/flapjacks so would rather they didn't bother.

VinylDetective · 10/10/2020 09:58

@chromis

I wouldn't use the milk, tea or biscuits/flapjacks so would rather they didn't bother.

Why on earth not?
whiteroseredrose · 10/10/2020 09:59

Like chromis, neither would we so it's a waste.

BrazenlyDefying · 10/10/2020 10:00

Because people who are cheeky fuckers are using covid as an excuse.

It's totally ridiculous - the sooner someone official comes out and says that you are not going to catch covid off a pack of digestives or a pint of milk the better. Because if it really were the case that you could catch it from groceries or whatever there would be documented cases, and there aren't.

Jemenfouscompletement · 10/10/2020 10:00

I still provide a welcome pack even with homemade cake. A lot of COVID excuses for everything

OhTheRoses · 10/10/2020 10:06

We had a holiday cottage in the summer and were left: milk, 8 wrapped tea bags, 8 decaff instant sachets, sugar sachets and a pack of fresh coffee for one pot, and little pots of uht milk. The cupboard had been stripped of the left behind oil, ketchup, condiments, etc which was understandable.

BrazenlyDefying · 10/10/2020 10:11

The cupboard had been stripped of the left behind oil, ketchup, condiments, etc which was understandable.

It's really not. Covid-19 is not passed on by a bottle of olive oil.

VinylDetective · 10/10/2020 10:13

@BrazenlyDefying

The cupboard had been stripped of the left behind oil, ketchup, condiments, etc which was understandable.

It's really not. Covid-19 is not passed on by a bottle of olive oil.

Exactly. The risk from condiments is the same as the risk from light switches or the kettle. It’s completely over the top.
Marchitectmummy · 10/10/2020 10:16

I wouldn't use it either, its highly unlikely they woukd happen to choose the milk I like etc. Its an unnecessary nonsense in my opinion.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow · 10/10/2020 10:18

We had two rented cottages, one had a nice little welcome pack, tea, coffee, biscuits, dog biscuits. With individual packs of hand wipes and tissues and a note to say it had all been wiped down. Second, not a bean. Obviously her choice, but COVID restrictions don’t come into it.

QuitMoaning · 10/10/2020 10:19

We went away in September and stayed in two different locations.
First location, a charming cottage, had removed everything and only provided a bottle of carex in the kitchen (which was a quarter full, plenty but obviously not clean) and one toilet roll in the bathroom. We were warned but I was surprised about one toilet roll (week long stay) as you could provide a pack of four in wrapping.
The second place, a very upmarket apartment, had everything.

Very different approaches.

Riddo · 10/10/2020 10:25

We've just got back from a holiday in an Airbnb flat. There were plenty of loo rolls, oil, S&P, tea and coffee. The host had also left Prosecco and chocolates. There was a vase of flowers too.

I think people are using Covid as an excuse to be tight.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

BarbaraofSeville · 10/10/2020 10:30

Welcome packs are usually some milk and a load of other things that we don't want so go to waste or are used by the owner or next guest, but in any case will be built into the cost of what I pay.

I'd rather get nothing or the bare minimum and bring my own things. After all, most people will shop on the way or on the first day of a holiday.

MollyButton · 10/10/2020 10:35

Exactly. The risk from condiments is the same as the risk from light switches or the kettle. It’s completely over the top.

But I expect (especially now) that all light switches and kettles are wiped over. I know all cutlery, crockery, glasses and pots and pans are rewashed even if clean. If they had to wipe over every condiment and bottles/packet left behind, then that would add a lot to their cleaning time.

Different people have different impressions of risk - and successful air BnB places etc. have to try to cater for the pretty much most concerned. No one complains because a place is too clean. And most places have stripped back.

DailyMailcanfuckthefuckoff · 10/10/2020 10:38

Is it normal to expect welcome packs in Airbnbs now??? It's never even crossed my mind to expect to be left something.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.