My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Do your kids play out unsupervised?

55 replies

Tabletoppp · 13/09/2020 13:09

Started another thread this morning asking where to move to where the kids still play out! Got some interesting responses on the type of living which make it more possible (estates etc).

But wondering - do your kids play out unsupervised? Is this still happening?

So sad for my kids that they don’t. And wish they could!

OP posts:
DelurkingAJ · 13/09/2020 13:14

Mine don’t (7 and 4) but I am surprised at the number DS1’s age who do. At 9 or 10 I’d be much more comfortable but given two of his school chums have broken limbs in playgrounds over the summer I would worry about that.

RedskyAtnight · 13/09/2020 13:17

Normal from age 9 round here. My DC are older than that now, but most school holidays/weekends there were days when they only came in for meals.

rayoflightboy · 13/09/2020 13:18

Yes mine do.9,10 and 12.They have to have some freedom.
It's quite normal where I am.All the kids play out.

FedUpofLockdown123 · 13/09/2020 13:19

My almost 9 year old does. There's loads of children round here and all the parents keep an eye out and update each other by text. Majority of the time I can hear see her from the window.

FedUpofLockdown123 · 13/09/2020 13:20

Meant to say she has played out for the last year or so there are a lot of children that are around unsupervised from the age of about 4 which is far too young imo.

Hugsgalore · 13/09/2020 13:23

Age 6 here. Doesn't play out unsupervised but DH thinks should be let. I feel its too unsafe. Too many cars etc. Plus I'd be worried about places she could go

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 13/09/2020 13:24

They do. 7&9. But it's a small Army camp- less traffic, less randomers. It's not 100%safe- no where is. But safer than average.

Yr5/6 are encouraged to walk to and home from school without parents. We live too far away, but 9yo likes leaving with her friends are finding the car herself while I'm getting her sister (different entrances and times currently)

Jason118 · 13/09/2020 13:29

Mine do aged 30 and 31 Grin

tywysoges · 13/09/2020 13:30

Yes, mine has since she was about 6 or 7, but she was only allowed to play just outside the house then - though I could see her from the window, does that count? New build estate in the SE, all my immediate neighbours were DD’s classmates, which helped, as all the parents had an eye on the children, as well as a couple of older siblings.

We moved to a village in South Wales when she was 8, she’s 11 now and can go anywhere in the village. This increased gradually, first she could go to the park at the end of the road, then to the shop, now she’s in secondary school and is allowed to cross the main road (she needs to cross this for the school bus stop anyway) and go to the beach with friends. She always asks before she goes further afield though, and is not allowed to be alone, so if all friends go home, she needs to come inside.

PapsofJura · 13/09/2020 13:33

Yes my two play out unsupervised, there are a lot of primary school age children around so they all go off and play together. It’s quite nice until they all fall out!

ClarencesMum · 13/09/2020 13:35

Yeah they do, new build estate and most kids do. Several parks in close proximity packd with kids from 5 plus.

notheragain4 · 13/09/2020 13:37

Mine do. 10 and 6, but the park is literally outside our house, I could throw a bottle of water out the window into the park (haven't done this I promise ha) 10 year old is allowed beyond the park, 6 year old isn't allowed beyond where I can see (not that I watch him the entire time).

Stompythedinosaur · 13/09/2020 13:40

Mine do they are 7 and 9. They know they have to social distance from people they arent in a bubble with, and thr dc are all really good about it. I check intermittently that they are following the rules.

Sewinginscotland · 13/09/2020 13:50

All the kids on out street play out. Next door is 8 years old, I think 2 doors down are maybe like 7 and 9? They started playing out last summer.

TwoZeroTwoZero · 13/09/2020 14:10

My dc are 8 & 9. They do play out on the street unsupervised and have done for about a year. Our door is open and they come in & out when they want, either alone or with their friends. At meal times and at the end of the day I go and shout them from the gate that it's time to come in. Lots of kids on our street play out and have done for ages. Mine were latecomers!

TwoZeroTwoZero · 13/09/2020 14:12

I don't think it makes much of a difference to whether children play out or not but we live on a small mixed housing estate not far from the school my dc attend and another school in the opposite direction.

sunsalutations · 13/09/2020 14:15

My two are both out at the park now- they are 12and 14. I encouraged them to play out on their own from about 9. I'm really pleased they still do this, still part of a group that do this regularly and not succumbed to tech all waking hours (although they still do a fair bit of that too!)

ZarasHouse · 13/09/2020 14:22

No but we live in a high-ish crime urban-ish area on a main road. Would be completely different if we lived somewhere safer.

ZarasHouse · 13/09/2020 14:24

Sorry it's not urban-ish just urban. It's high-ish crime

sitckmansladylove · 13/09/2020 14:26

No (mine are nearly 6 and 7)

WorraLiberty · 13/09/2020 14:28

Yes, mine did from the age of about 7.

They were only allowed between 2 certain points in the street at first and then eventually on the community green at the end of the road to play with the other kids there.

It was quite nice and they got loads of exercise every day.

unlimiteddilutingjuice · 13/09/2020 14:29

Yes.
DC aged 8 and 5.
We're in a black of maisonettes built around a green area.
Both kids play out in this area with just the occasional peek out the window to check up on them.
Dd (5) is out all the time and has 3 regular playmates who are also out unsupervised.
Ds (8) is a bit of a homebody. But he's allowed to the local shops and enjoys running errands and making himself useful.

unlimiteddilutingjuice · 13/09/2020 14:30

block of maisonettes

Sarahbeans · 13/09/2020 14:31

Yes, mine have done since they were little.

We have a big shared drive (between 5 houses), so at 5 they were allowed to play on that. Then they were allowed into the next group of shared drives to call for friends. By 7, they were allowed to roam the estate and play out with friends.

But we live on the edge of a village, where all the children play out. So it's the norm here.

LittleMissEngineer · 13/09/2020 14:34

Yes, since about the age of 7. Did play out at 6, but with me peering through the window... He is 10 now.

We live in a really nice neighbourhood (Sleepy non-through road, all the houses are 7 figures), open front gardens. The kids play into the front gardens, on their bikes and in each other’s gardens / houses.

DS has always had “stranger danger” drilled into him and road safety and to stick with his friends. We always gave him a time to be back.

I think it is a very personal decision, depending on the child, the neighbourhood, the roads etc. Glad that we did it, but wouldn’t work everywhere.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.