My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

How do you make your spag Bol?

117 replies

spinthebottle · 05/09/2020 15:13

Just that really?

OP posts:
Dontforgetyourbrolly · 05/09/2020 15:14

The way my nonna taught me ! So I will have to hide this thread now otherwise I will start reading about peppers and Worcestershire sauce which will have her spinning in her grave!

Ajahd · 05/09/2020 15:16

Fry onions, fry mince, a spoon of lazy garlic, two tins of chopped tomatoes, half a tube of tomato puree, a dash of balsamic vinegar and leave to simmer for around an hour to reduce the sauce. If I want to bilk out I might add some grated carrot at the start as well and double up on the onion

myrtleWilson · 05/09/2020 15:26

butter, soffritto, pancetta, mix of pork/beef, squeeze of puree, red wine, bit of stock, let it simmer and add hot stock bit by bit over the 3 hour plus cook time, add cream at the end if you want. This is Claudia Roden's recipe from Food of Italy and is now my usual go-to. Have also made one from Marcella Hazan which includes chicken livers but tend just to default to Claudia...

Lurchermom · 05/09/2020 15:30

The day before I need it, always.
I finely chop celery, onions and carrots - cook them slowly in a half and half butter/olive oil mix so they soften.
Season the meat (beef and pork mix) with black pepper, herbs de Provence and a little coarse salt. Brown that in a pan in batches.
In another pan I boil all the vegetable trimmings in water. In another pan I gently warm milk with a few whole cloves and a bay leaf.
Softened soffrito (veg mix) goes in a casserole dish with the ground beef. Add in a large dollop of tomato puree. A couple of ladles of the veg stock water, and a good splash of the infused milk. Stir well, put in the oven at 180c. Ten minutes until it's bubbling. Turn down to 150c. Keep in the oven for 3hours, checking ever 40minutes and adding more stock/milk as I go. Usually about half way through I'll add a good glug of red wine.
At 3hours if the meat is no longer holding any shape, I'll shut the heat off, if meat is still slightly grainy I'll cook for another 40mins-hour. Meat should be a nice colour, rich in flavour and good texture (soft and wet but not separated). Season as required.
Take casserole dish out of the oven and leave covered on the side until required the next day when I warm it through gently.
Winner every time. My mom's family is Italian and I learnt from her though it's not 'authentic'.

impeccabledave · 05/09/2020 15:31

Onions
Salt
Garlic
Beef mince
Mushrooms
Mixed herbs
Black pepper
Tomato purée
Chopped tomatoes
Beef stock

Leave to simmer for about 45mins

TimetohittheroadJack · 05/09/2020 15:32

Fry mince and onion and add a jar of dolmio 😳

SirSamuelVimesBlackboardMonito · 05/09/2020 15:33

Slow cooker. Revolution. Will cook it on low for six hours, it's amazing.

Onions, mince, bacon or pancetta if I can be bothered, tomatoes, puree, red wine if I've got some, jar of bought sauce if it's in the cupboard, basically a "chuck it in the pot and see" type effort. (No peppers or other random veggies though, brolly!). Then six hours of slow simmering with the occasional stir. Job done.

itbemay1 · 05/09/2020 15:33

Onions, mince, beef stock, garlic, Henderson sauce, passata, tin toms, simmer once cooked add finely chopped basil

itbemay1 · 05/09/2020 15:34

Forgot the grated carrot!

Flamingosarentreal · 05/09/2020 15:48

Fry onions, garlic, beef mince,carrots. add tomato purée ,tinned chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs, some beef stock and leave simmering for 20 minutes. Add a handful of porridge oats about 10 minutes before serving

JillGoodacre · 05/09/2020 15:55

Fry chopped onions in olive oil. Add garlic. Add mince. When browned add one tin if chopped tomatoes fill the tin up with hot water and put that in the pan. Add one oxo cube. Add tomato puree Salt pepper dried basil and oregano and a tiny bit of sugar. Let cook for about 15 minutes.

JuiceyBetty · 05/09/2020 16:00

Wow, all so different. I hate cooking so mine is a quick job.

Fry onions and lazy garlic
Add mince till brown
Add chopped peppers
Add garlic Italian herbs, passatta, splodge of tomato puree, splodge of ketchup, splodge of sweet chilli, beef stock cube
Leave for 15 mins.

Camomila · 05/09/2020 16:01

The way my nonna taught me ! So I will have to hide this thread now otherwise I will start reading about peppers and Worcestershire sauce which will have her spinning in her grave!

Haha me too!
Soffritto with extra onion, extra lean mince, due tins of chopped tomatoes, tiny bit of sugar, salt, pepper, origano. Don't usually add wine as don't usually drink at home but would if I had guests.

Angel2702 · 05/09/2020 16:01

We add celery and marmite to ours.

formerbabe · 05/09/2020 16:03

Onion
Garlic
Minced beef...browned in olive oil
Then tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, red wine, dash of balsamic, spoon of sugar, salt and pepper

Simmer for hours

forgetthehousework · 05/09/2020 16:07

I always leave mine simmering on a very low heat for at least an hour and sometimes twice this, stirring occasionally. And, as it takes so much time, I always make at least twice as much as I need and freeze the rest in individual portions.

ShortAndSharp · 05/09/2020 16:08

Pancetta
Onions
Carrot
Celery
Mushroom
Beef/veal/pork mince - a mixture of two of them,
Milk
Nutmeg
Tomato purée
Tinned tomatoes
Beef stock
Red wine
Bay leaves

TheTurnOfTheScrew · 05/09/2020 16:11

I use the Delia recipe - both pork and beef mince, pancetta, chicken livers, onion, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, red wine, garlic. Cook all afternoon, make enough for 4 meals and stash the rest in the freezer for work nights. I have probably made Dontforgetyourbrolly and her nonna cry.

Beekeeper1 · 05/09/2020 16:14

Fry chopped onion, garlic and mushrooms
Add mince and brown
Add chopped red pepper
Add chopped chilli pepper
Add several tomatoes chopped small
Add salt, pepper, pinch of turmeric, pinch of paprika, pinch of cumin
Add powdered vegetable stock dissolved in water
Dash of tabasco or reggae reggae sauce
Good dollop of tomato puree and ketchup🍝

London1066 · 05/09/2020 16:15

My mum's recipe (which had beef. I now use lentils/vegan mince)

Onion
Garlic
Mushrooms
Lentils or vegan mince
Chopped tomatoes
Tomato purée
Vegetable stock
Oregano
Splash of tamari

Cook for AGES

DoubleDessertPlease · 05/09/2020 16:19

Fry Onion and beef mince, add tinned tomatoes, water, chopped carrots, bay leaf, oregano, way too much garlic and pressure cook for 40 mins and it’s done Smile

MillieMoodle · 05/09/2020 16:20

Chop and fry bacon, Onions, Peppers, beef mince.
When mince browned add tinned tomatoes.
Then beef stock
Then salt, pepper and nutmeg
Then mushrooms
Sometimes add white or red wine if there's a bit left in a bottle there's never any left in the bottle
Simmer for 20 mins or so.

Carrots and celery are a massive no!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

notheragain4 · 05/09/2020 16:20

@SirSamuelVimesBlackboardMonito do you brown mince and soften onions before putting in?

Fink · 05/09/2020 16:35

Olive oil
Soffritto with garlic
Beef mince, plus some pork when I can get it
Pancetta
White wine
Beef stock
Chopped tomatoes
Tomato purée
Salt (no pepper, I hate it)
Milk
Sometimes a squeeze of tomato ketchup Shock

Never ever ever mushrooms, peppers, or any other random veg that aren't part of a bolognese. This sort of thread comes up periodically and it's always a split between people who try to make something authentically Italian (and usually take several hours) and people who basically make a tomato-based savoury mince dish with any amount of variations (and usually have it done in under an hour).

DeathMetalMum · 05/09/2020 16:47

Carrots, onion, celery. I'm fussy and don't like chunks of onion so I throw them in the blender before I start cooking. I add chopped smoked bacon - prefer to pancetta. Slowly cook this, then add garlic a few minutes before the mince (just beef mince). Allow to brown part way through I add some dried mixed herbs. Then I add two tins of chopped tomatoes and fill them with water and add two tins of water. I then mix tomato puree with milk and add. I'd add red wine here too if I had some in. Simmer until it's reduced by about half usually, (minimum of an hour and a half if in a rush).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.