My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Hair clips that aren't pricks

36 replies

scaryfrogfish · 03/09/2020 16:50

DD8 has the finest hair in the world, and it always looks absolutely shocking, like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards, even five minutes after I've done her hair.

(I used to think I was just shit at doing hair, which I am a bit, but DD4's hair generally stays put, so I'm blaming this one firmly on DD8's hair.)

I put it in plaits every morning, and a hair clip each side by her ears, to stop the wispy bits coming out, but all the hair clips I buy are RUBBISH. They either don't clip firmly enough and slide out of her hair, or else her very fine hair gets caught in the circular mechanism pivot (don't know how to describe it - the round circle bit at the pointy end of the clip) and it's painful to pull it out for her, and sometimes breaks her hair.

They need to be suitable for school, so ideally black, and they need to stay put and NOT BE PRICKS. Any advice?

OP posts:
Happycow · 03/09/2020 20:10

Scunci do no-slip hair grips, which may be worth a look - they do various styles.

If not would a thin no-slip alice band work?

homemadecommunistrussia · 03/09/2020 20:16

I know exactly what you mean about hair getting in the mechanism.
I don't get on with clips myself. I know it's extra faff, but you could try a sort of half up style with those tiny silicon bands and then plait it, so using the bands instead of clips if that make sense?

homemadecommunistrussia · 03/09/2020 20:22

I tried to Google what I meant and am now mentally scarred.Shock

Fatted · 03/09/2020 20:27

I think you need to change tactic and abandon the need for hairclips. Have you tried putting her hair back when it's wet, with maybe a smidgen of mousse or gel through it? My hair is naturally curly, but it is actually quite fine. If I plait my hair when it's wet with a bit of product through it, it stays nice and sleek all day. If I try to do it dry, it's terrible, doesn't hold etc.

cookielove · 03/09/2020 20:29

Old toothbrush, spray with hair spray and brush the fly aways down against the head.

quitepeeved · 03/09/2020 20:42

I got this thing called hairfeel...
Its like sticky hair mascara its with a try...
www.hairfeel.co/?gclid=CjwKCAjwqML6BRAHEiwAdquMnRy2mhJcH6qkxkPcs0XM4vLayQN3qdasYw1dSsKTQsEKj1auyga4gxoC1PYQAvD_BwE

quitepeeved · 03/09/2020 20:48

Also these are the best clips I found,

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D6H308S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MDuuFbZWY68N5?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

they don't have the problem with the bitey hinge thing as its covered by the plastic. I think they grip a bit better than the usual as well. These combined with the hairfeel or some hairspray could be a good shout.
My kids have similarly fine hair/ridiculous hairlines. They start school next week, im hoping for the best with this combo but honestly I've just sort of given up a bit now, as long as it's mostly out of their eyes I don't care so much about neat anymore Grin

scaryfrogfish · 03/09/2020 21:35

@cookielove

Old toothbrush, spray with hair spray and brush the fly aways down against the head.

I have tried hairspray. DD's hair laughs in the face of hairspray.
OP posts:
scaryfrogfish · 03/09/2020 21:36

[quote quitepeeved]I got this thing called hairfeel...
Its like sticky hair mascara its with a try...
www.hairfeel.co/?gclid=CjwKCAjwqML6BRAHEiwAdquMnRy2mhJcH6qkxkPcs0XM4vLayQN3qdasYw1dSsKTQsEKj1auyga4gxoC1PYQAvD_BwE[/quote]
This looks interesting... if a potentially expensive solution. I've already tried hair gel / mousse...

I don't like using loads of product on her because I only wash her hair twice a week, and it does get gunky if I'm putting product on her every day.

OP posts:
scaryfrogfish · 03/09/2020 21:41

I also worry that the hair mascara stuff won't be up to the task. I'm not talking about cute wispy bits of hair floating around. This is what she looked like about 7 minutes after me doing her hair this morning (spraying water on it, plaiting as tightly as possible).

OP posts:
turnthebiglightoff · 03/09/2020 21:55

Try a hair mask or some leave in conditioner, and leave in for a while. My hair went really really fine and flyaway about 4 months post partum; I fixed it with bi weekly hair masks.

scaryfrogfish · 03/09/2020 21:59

Thanks @turnthebiglightoff but her hair has always been like this. After about ten minutes she looks like a Barnados appeal poster.

OP posts:
RedCatBlueCat · 03/09/2020 22:06

Are you putting a bobble at the top of the plaits?
I cant wear plaits, because my hair does the same as your DDs. I can get away with a ponytail. So id suggest extra bobbles - those little silicon ones?
If you've already got a bobble at the top of tye plait, can you secure the first bit of her hair around her ears, then at the top of the plait, then at the bottom of the plait?

LaurieSchafferIsAllBitterNow · 03/09/2020 22:10

plait it wet and spritz hair spray over it. ...and ditch conditioner if you use it it just encourages the escapers by making them slippy

this worked for dd's hair, and for mine I resign myself to the fluff if putting it up when it's clean, even if it's damp it wisps as it dries through the day

Second and third day plenty of dry shampoo keeps it from wandering.... hang upside down spray underneath, right side up spray around hair line, floof it on through and use wide tooth comb to regain control!

Mojito · 03/09/2020 22:15

Revlon double grip hair clips

Nat6999 · 03/09/2020 22:18

Spray some dry shampoo to make her hair less slippery, then plait it.

scaryfrogfish · 03/09/2020 22:40

@RedCatBlueCat

Are you putting a bobble at the top of the plaits?
I cant wear plaits, because my hair does the same as your DDs. I can get away with a ponytail. So id suggest extra bobbles - those little silicon ones?
If you've already got a bobble at the top of tye plait, can you secure the first bit of her hair around her ears, then at the top of the plait, then at the bottom of the plait?

I have tried what I call pony plaits - basically a pony tail that's then plaited. Is that what you mean? I can't really picture the rest of it though. I did try those tiny elastics ages ago but they ripped her hair out savagely when taken out.
OP posts:
somersetsinger · 03/09/2020 23:05

French plaiting could help here, as it will get the wispy, shorter hairs up and out of the way. You could even section of the front part and put in a narrow plait close to her hairline.

It does take skill, though. My DD has this sort of hair and I don't, so I've had to learn what to do with it. I'm quite slow and don't always get it right first time.

Does your daughter mind the stray bits? If not, you could just let her be. Or she could have it cut into a fringe.

scaryfrogfish · 04/09/2020 10:12

@somersetsinger

French plaiting could help here, as it will get the wispy, shorter hairs up and out of the way. You could even section of the front part and put in a narrow plait close to her hairline.

It does take skill, though. My DD has this sort of hair and I don't, so I've had to learn what to do with it. I'm quite slow and don't always get it right first time.

Does your daughter mind the stray bits? If not, you could just let her be. Or she could have it cut into a fringe.

She actually doesn't mind it at all. I'm the furthest from vain, but when I see her coming out of school looking like a neglected urchin, I worry I could do more.

I'm also astonished it doesn't annoy her as it's in her eyes all day.
OP posts:
scaryfrogfish · 04/09/2020 10:13

Also the front bits aren't really long enough to french plait.

OP posts:
AngelaScandal · 04/09/2020 17:30

Wide fabric band kind of thing?

scaryfrogfish · 04/09/2020 18:18

@Boscoismyspiritanimal

Wide fabric band kind of thing?

They sort of slowly scoot up her head, eventually perching on the very top of her head like a crap hat.

I promise I'm not trying to be difficult!
OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

AngelaScandal · 04/09/2020 18:55

I have very similar hair , I totally get that 😂

I pin as I go and loop the band through with the ponytail holder.

tinkywinkyshandbag · 04/09/2020 19:04

Why not just forget it and have it cut into a cute short bob with a fringe? My DD had that when younger and she has fine hair, home how this style made it look thicker.

scaryfrogfish · 04/09/2020 19:37

@tinkywinkyshandbag

Why not just forget it and have it cut into a cute short bob with a fringe? My DD had that when younger and she has fine hair, home how this style made it look thicker.

I'm steering away from fringes because they're awful to grow out. I have suggested a bob, but none of her peers have made that leap yet, and she's not quite ready for it.
OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.