My feed

to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.


What the hell has bitten me and what should I do?

47 replies

Hmmmbop · 24/06/2019 18:20

Happened yesterday but I don't know when, I didn't notice at the time (do not an obvious sting etc).

The red patch is about 3inches by 2 and spreading slowly (was faster - last night it was like a standard small bite). In the centre there's a yellowish area. There's a lump under the skin which is also growing, it's almost as big as the red patch. The whole thing is raised and hot.

The red spot to the side is separate to this.

What the hell has bitten me and what should I do?
OP posts:
LeekMunchingSheepShagger · 24/06/2019 18:22

Have you taken an antihistamine?

CodenameVillanelle · 24/06/2019 18:23

This happened to me once when I was camping. Both legs! I showed it to my friend who was also there who is a GP and she just said to take antihistamine and within an hour the swelling was down. Weird.

Hmmmbop · 24/06/2019 18:25

I'll get DH to pick some antihistamines up on his way home. We're a very allergy free family so don't stock them!

OP posts:
Mumteedum · 24/06/2019 18:35

Is the red bit still spreading? Take the antihistamines but if it gets worse you may need antibiotics. I react badly to bites. Horse fly ones have started that way and rapidly got worse. You have to watch for infection

SinkGirl · 24/06/2019 18:36

Where in the country are you - any chance it’s Dorset way?

If so, low down on the body I’d guess blandford fly (although apparently they can get further afield), although it can be a bad reaction to another bite too. Definitely get a pharmacist to have a look if you can.

myidentitymycrisis · 24/06/2019 18:37

DS had a bite like that aged about 3, also on the leg; after a couple ofdays of growing I decided tomorrow I would visit the GP, before I got the chance I touched it with a hot flannel and it burst!

no idea what it was.

Hmmmbop · 24/06/2019 19:07

No Dorsetgirl we're in the north.

I've drawn around the red area and it appears to have stopped spreading, or is doing so very slowly. It throbs and hurts when I walk but doesn't itch much.

I don't react to bites usually and very rarely get bitten.

DH is on his way home with antihistamines.

OP posts:
musicinspring1 · 24/06/2019 19:21

I get bitten a lot. My usual drill is - antihistamine , some sort of allergy relief cream on it like antisan, or the all purpose magic cream sudocrem. Apply a cold compress. Draw round the red edge with a biro , seek advice if it spreads beyond that.
Disclaimer - I’m not a medical professional!!

Hmmmbop · 24/06/2019 20:04

Antihistamine taken. It's started spreading again and now has a middle

OP posts:
Hmmmbop · 24/06/2019 20:06

Better pic

What the hell has bitten me and what should I do?
OP posts:
StrongTea · 24/06/2019 20:06

Tick or cleg bite. Phone for advice to nhs.

musicinspring1 · 24/06/2019 20:07

Do you have a late night chemist or walk in centre you could get to now ?

PinkOboe · 24/06/2019 20:07

Horsefly. Style it out

musicinspring1 · 24/06/2019 20:07

Or phone 111?

Hmmmbop · 24/06/2019 20:07

There was no tick on it.

OP posts:
Cozytoesandtoast00 · 24/06/2019 20:09

Yes. This could be a tick bite.
Important to get that checked

Parttimewasteoftime · 24/06/2019 20:11

I was going to say horse fly I very prone to bites antihistamine will sort you out any savalon?

EskewedBeef · 24/06/2019 20:12

If so, low down on the body I’d guess blandford fly

Ooh, I've twice been bitten by Blandford flies a couple of years apart (I saw the tiny little buggers get me), and their bites cause so much pain, bruising and swelling it's ridiculous!

Put a cooling pack on it, op. Even if it's just a bad reaction to a standard mosquito bite, it will be nice to take take the heat out of it.

lljkk · 24/06/2019 20:18

Ask a chemist for advice if still worried tomorrow.

frippit · 24/06/2019 20:22

I'd say a horse fly has bitten you. You need to take antihistamines as soon as you are bitten to get the best results. Keep an eye on it in case it's infected

Waterlemon · 24/06/2019 20:27

Draw around it with a biro, so you can tell if it spreads any further.

I’ve developed an allergy to insect bites - I think mosquito. And they always go like this.

Try oral and topical antihistamines. If it carries on spreading, you will need antibiotics.

StubbleTurnips · 24/06/2019 20:29

That’s how I go with a horsefly bite.

We had an angry horsefly resident at the end of the garden one year which kept getting me. The bastard.

mineofuselessinformation · 24/06/2019 20:32

Did the two puncture marks appear at the same time?
If so, it's probably a spider bite. (Sorry if that freaks you out!) They can be nasty (I had one that caused my whole foot to swell), so see a GP if it doesn't settle.

Bluntness100 · 24/06/2019 20:34

I get like this with mosquito, spider, horsefly, just about anything, bites. It could be mossie or horsefly. Anti histamines should knock it on the head.

stayathomegardener · 24/06/2019 20:34

It looks like a double puncture bite; is that not spider?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.