My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

What the hell has bitten me and what should I do?

47 replies

Hmmmbop · 24/06/2019 18:20

Happened yesterday but I don't know when, I didn't notice at the time (do not an obvious sting etc).

The red patch is about 3inches by 2 and spreading slowly (was faster - last night it was like a standard small bite). In the centre there's a yellowish area. There's a lump under the skin which is also growing, it's almost as big as the red patch. The whole thing is raised and hot.

The red spot to the side is separate to this.

OP posts:
SinkGirl · 24/06/2019 22:25

Ooh, I've twice been bitten by Blandford flies a couple of years apart (I saw the tiny little buggers get me), and their bites cause so much pain, bruising and swelling it's ridiculous!

When I was a teenager I got bitten on the ankle one night - we went to London the next day, I was wearing baggy purple DM boots (showing my age there ) and my ankle swelled so huge I couldn’t get it off.

The next year I got bitten three times on the arm by one at a waterside place, I looked like a mutant.

They are absolutely vicious and apparently fly close to the ground hence usually biting the feet and legs, unless of course you lie on the ground! Apparently it’s the obsession with garden water features that’s enabled them to spread further afield so I blame Charlie Dimmock Grin

SinkGirl · 24/06/2019 22:27

Bless you, I react horribly to bites - swelling then awful bruising too.

Ice, antihistamines and medical advice in the morning if it’s still spreading (or sooner if you feel really unwell or it’s unbearable). Hope it eases off soon.

Hmmmbop · 25/06/2019 00:33

So I took a jaunt to the supermarket and saw the pharmacist there. He agreed horsefly or spider and needing antibiotics. I drew around it earlier, at 2.45 and against at 4 which is how I know the redness is slowing in growth. I'll try and get a doctor's appointment tomorrow.

OP posts:
SamBeckett · 25/06/2019 04:05

I agree it looks like a horse fly bite.
They tend to be around water and livestock / deers.
They are vicious buggers , I react badly to them but I think most people do..I get a hot hard lump about 2 inches across then the surrounding are goes red like yours has.
The antihistamine should help and a cool pack / dressing will ease it.
The bites take about 2 to 3 weeks to go down.

PenelopeFlintstone · 25/06/2019 04:24

Also take some anti-inflammatories (nurofen or other ibuprofen)

QueenofLouisiana · 25/06/2019 07:14

Glad you’ve been advised to get antibiotics, please do get them. If it’s a spider bite, they can be nasty and need to be treated.

Unsure72 · 25/06/2019 07:37

I was bitten by a horsefly last summer OP and it looked exactly like this. The usual bite remedy creams had no effect, and I actually began to get a shooting pain when walking on the leg that had been bitten! I went to the doctor and was given some antibiotics, which did the trick after a few days.

goose1964 · 25/06/2019 09:20

You need a bite zapper. They pulse an electric current through the bite and destroy the poison. It's better than antihistamines as it gets to the root of the problem.

Damntheman · 25/06/2019 11:51

Hope the doctor gives you the good stuff OP! In solidarity I got bitten by a mosquito on the 10th of June and it's looking like I'll have to go back to the doctor on friday for more hard core antibiotics as this current 10 day course doesn't seem to be working.. Skin infection five!

Hmmmbop · 25/06/2019 13:07

I couldn't get in at the doctor's today.

The lump has gone down and the red receded back to the original marker. It's still tender, but not painful.

OP posts:
LoafofSellotape · 25/06/2019 13:10

Keep taking anti histamines and out antihistamine cream on it too plus ice pack even though it's gone done a bit,you don't want it to flare up again.

RubberTreePlant · 25/06/2019 13:20

All my gnats bites go like that.

ScreamingLadySutch · 25/06/2019 14:12

I guess a horsefly.

ScreamingLadySutch · 25/06/2019 14:14

Horseflies have several mouth parts: you get stabbed, sawn and other things so the bite is clear.

Like RubberTreePlant I am also hugely allergic to midge saliva. But they spread and swell over days.

Horseflies have that bite mark and then the red patch.

bloodywhitecat · 25/06/2019 14:16

My guess is horsefly too

BlueRabbitWasNaughty · 25/06/2019 17:30

Yep, I think horsefly too.

I had one earlier in the year and it was just like that - ended up with a clear blister over the actual puncture and took a good couple of weeks to heal.

wheresmymojo · 25/06/2019 18:13

I think spider due to the two puncture marks.

I have arachnophobia and am now feeling all itchy and freaked out. If I get a spider bite I think I'd have to chop my leg off Confused

TwinklyMummaLuvsHerBubba89 · 25/06/2019 18:19

My horse fly bites last year looked just like the pics.

I got antibiotics for one lot and then the doctor prescribed me a steroid cream for future bites so that the infection won't take hold,as I'm susceptible apparently.

The cream worked a trick.

Doje · 25/06/2019 18:23

Snap!

I went to the pharmacist after work as it's driven me crazy all day today. She sold me some hydrocortisone cream, and said an antihistamine would help too. She advised to go to the docs if it didn't reduce in a couple of days.

Catsrus · 25/06/2019 19:16

My doctor said antihistamines are useless in this situation. They neutralise a histamine reaction, which is an allergic reaction causing itchy rashes and small spots on the body. If you have a localised reaction like this it's not histamine. Take anti inflammatories - it's an inflammatory reaction, so take ibuprofen or paracetamol.

I react like this to mosquito bites so know the problem. Anti inflammatories and ice packs are my solution. It can take days 🤨

enjoyingscience · 25/06/2019 19:19

Was going to say blandford fly too. Absolute fuckers they are.

TwinklyMummaLuvsHerBubba89 · 25/06/2019 19:23

Good to know Catsrus thanks

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.