My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Is it a new thing to "appear" to be sockless with trainers?

72 replies

wanderings · 14/06/2019 15:49

Looking around, I see loads of trainers being worn with apparently bare ankles; but if you look more closely, you see the tiniest amount of socks showing.

Like the enigma of the young wearing socks with sliders, when did this become fashionable? I'm sure in the 90s people proudly wore ankle socks with trainers, or when the weather was warm, didn't wear socks at all. When did we start pretending we're not wearing socks? (I'm stuck in my 90s ways, and if it's warm enough to bare my ankles, I don't bother with the socks. Wink )

OP posts:
ComeAndDance · 14/06/2019 16:19

I’ve always done that

CherryPlum · 14/06/2019 16:21

Well I'm similar to the OP and noticed it as a trend about a year ago, then saw more and more people following the 'socks must not be seen' rule. I keep meaning to join in and buy myself some tiny socks 😂

Isatis · 14/06/2019 16:21

These have been around for ages. I wouldn't wear them, but I've seen trainer socks in shops for at least 20 years.

Pokul · 14/06/2019 16:26

I remember folding my socks down back over themselves in the 90s to fit in with people's trainer socks until I got my own, it's been around for ages.

CassianAndor · 14/06/2019 16:28

there's a difference between trainer socks (very low ankle socks, but designed to be seen) and the kind that aren't designed to be seen (footsies? liners? dunno what they're called). I think it's the latter the OP is talking about.

Ohyesiam · 14/06/2019 16:30

I'm sure I've had trainer liners for at least 15 years. They aren't a new thing.
I had mini trainer socks in 1982/3, they had little pom-poms to stop them slipping down round your heel. I guess the stay put technology hasn’t been invented then. I loved them, and showing off my nice angular ankles. A lot has changed since then.

Charmatt · 14/06/2019 16:34

What are sliders?

AngeloMysterioso · 14/06/2019 16:38

Wasn’t that the whole reason trainer socks were invented?

DontCallMeShitley · 14/06/2019 16:38

I have never worn ankle socks with trainers, not in the 90's or now. However I wear my trainers with chinos or cropped chinos and did so in the 90's as well.

The fashion for socks with sliders is on a par with the socks with sandals look as far as I can see.

LolaSmiles · 14/06/2019 16:45

Trainer socks have always been a thing as long as I've been wearing trainers.

anonymousbird · 14/06/2019 16:52

My DD 13 is meticulous about ensuring NO part of her sock shows, ever!

TSSDNCOP · 14/06/2019 16:56

I miss the ones from the 80’s that stayed on your feet by means of a cute little pom Pom that sat on the back of your trainers.

Notthecarwashagain · 14/06/2019 16:58

I'm 38 and have never had visible socks showing.

I wear trainer socks- or those weird, tight-like, half socks that make my feet sound like they're farting if I wear them with Supergas.

redspider1 · 14/06/2019 16:59

Have worn trainer socks since they came on the market. I'm 48.

redspider1 · 14/06/2019 17:00

my teens wear regular socks but fold them down under their heel. Weird.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions · 14/06/2019 17:00

there's a difference between trainer socks (very low ankle socks, but designed to be seen) and the kind that aren't designed to be seen (footsies? liners? dunno what they're called). I think it's the latter the OP is talking about

Ah you know what cassian yoy might have a point when i think of trainer socks i think of the very low socks that come just above the rim of the trainer (like the bright pink pair here) where as the liner style ones (like the pale blue pair) are invisable.

That said the trainer socks (as in the pink ones) were definately a thing in the 90's.

The thing i've noticed is how hard it is to get socks that arent liners these days. I dont wear socks at all that often (autism related sensory issue) but when i do want to they all seem to be these terriable things

TwinklyMummaLuvsHerBubba89 · 14/06/2019 17:01

I'm 40, total 90's child.

I always wore top of the range trainers and always folded my socks so that you couldn't see them.

Then way 00's trainer socks became a thing (at least on my radar) and I only ever wear trainer socks with trainers. I'm no longer in high-end trainers, but at least my socks are still hidden Grin

TwinklyMummaLuvsHerBubba89 · 14/06/2019 17:02

Ah didn't RTFT properly. Yes maybe OP is on about the liners and I'm oh about low ankle socks

NaughtToThreeSadOnions · 14/06/2019 17:03

My pictures didnt seem to uo load

Pink pair

Bluntness100 · 14/06/2019 17:03

Socks and trainers has never been a good look. I'm fifty and even as a teen that wasn't ok . 🤣

origamiunicorn · 14/06/2019 17:04

You can't wear full on socks with trainers! Yes, you are very behind the times...I haven't done this for about two decades.

I agree, unless you're playing sport of course. I was rolling my socks down in the late 90s so definitely not a recent thing.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions · 14/06/2019 17:04

Light blue pair - liners

fancynancyclancy · 14/06/2019 17:04

Socks & sliders were a thing in the 90s, it’s the whole mimicking sports stars after their workout.

Trainer socks have been around forever & Ive always tried to hide my socks. However the fashion now days is to show your socks along with your dad trainers.

EggysMom · 14/06/2019 17:05

Like the enigma of the young wearing socks with sliders

What are sliders?

Mules. Or more, the plastic mules now being worn more widely through the population. Not sure when they became sliders.

redspider1 · 14/06/2019 17:06

Sliders=pool shoes

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.