My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the discussion and meet other Mumsnetters on our free online chat forum.

Chat

Mini break - Scarborough or Bridlington?

55 replies

QuestionableMouse · 30/05/2019 17:31

Or somewhere else? (within 2 hours drive from Sunderland)

Has to be a Premier Inn due to reasons. I did Scarborough last year and had fun but the parking was expensive and quite stressful! (tiny multi story car park)

Thinking about Bridlington because the Premier Inn has free parking and I've never been (I know its probably a bit more than two hours) Basically it's just for a short break after the stress of uni exams (last one tomorrow yay)

Thank you.

OP posts:
betlynchiamnot · 30/05/2019 22:19

The walk up to Sewerby from the premier inn is lovely. Like everywhere the weather can really make a difference, but I'm sure there is plenty to keep you busy either way.

Food wise when we visit Bridlington it always has to be 149 for fish and chips to eat in the car so I can't really recommend anywhere else, although I would say the Wetherspoons is really grim so maybe give that a miss and I have noticed lots of independent coffee shops popping up or stop for a cuppa at The Spa cafe overlooking the sea. If I think of anywhere else though I'll let you know!

Shopping in Bridlington isn't great, if you're up for taking a day trip I'd really recommend visiting Beverley, it's about a 40 minute drive or you can get the train.

I know the area pretty well so if you've got any questions just ask

QuestionableMouse · 31/05/2019 09:04

That's really helpful, thank you.

OP posts:
DuggeesWoggle · 31/05/2019 09:22

Yes Beverley is absolutely beautiful, very small town with a cathedral all of its own!

QuestionableMouse · 31/05/2019 10:39

I've actually just been looking at the premier Inn in Beverly! It does look lovely.

Is there stuff to do? (for three days... All I really need is good food, somewhere pretty to walk and a few shops for necessities.)

OP posts:
SmallHaddockAndChips · 31/05/2019 10:50

Plenty of places to eat and drink in Beverley. If you’re there on Saturday there’s the market as well as the shops to have a look round. Go for a day to Hornsea, Brid, Filey as they’re not far. The Wolds area has nice walks if you like that sort of thing. I like going to the Wildlife Photographer if the Year competition exhibition at Treasure House and they have lots of events in associated with that.

VaggieMight · 31/05/2019 10:53

This reply has been withdrawn

This has been withdrawn by MNHQ at poster's request.

SmallHaddockAndChips · 31/05/2019 11:02

My husband can’t stand Bridlington. I like the beaches, they’re great, but I wouldn’t spend any time in the town itself. We tend to go to Hornsea more often than anywhere else but there are loads of great beaches in East Yorkshire. Spurn Point is worth visiting but we’ve not been for ages as we’d have to leave the dog at home.

QuestionableMouse · 31/05/2019 11:15

I'm actually leaning towards Scarborough but the parking is making me twitch. I parked in the multi storey (Palm Court) across from the Premier Inn last year and it was horrible. The spaces were tiny and it was very tight.

OP posts:
Dowser · 31/05/2019 11:53

If you’re in Sunderland go to lindifarne . Much nicer

QuestionableMouse · 31/05/2019 12:56

No Premier Inn.

I know it seems daft but I get a decent discount with them so it helps me out and means I can go for four nights rather than three, for example.

OP posts:
Angie169 · 31/05/2019 13:35

I love Scarborough, I go at least twice a year. Walking round the lake early in the morning is lovely, me and DH did it regularly, so much so that some of DHs ashes are scatted around 'our ' bench
The scarsbick hotel is nice , and has a cosy pub that non residents can use.
We loved sitting under the pier listing to the singer's on the stage.

KnobJockey · 31/05/2019 14:57

Can you do a night or two in each?

I live in Beverley, the premier Inn is in Flemingate, the shopping centre, rather than the town centre, but it's all a 10 minute walk anyway. The shops here are fab- really upmarket, but good to walk around- there's a market on every Saturday morning which is normally good right next to the shopping area. Plenty of places for good food. You can have a walk on the Westwood, Hull is 2 train stops away or 20 minute drive if you fancy a look around there, lots of pretty villages nearby. If it's this weekend you're thinking of, the Humber Bridge market is on on Sunday, which is always worth visiting!

If you do prefer beaches, I much prefer Scarborough to Brid, but there are nice bits.

I would be tempted to do a night or two on Beverley, then drive down to Brid for a night and go for a walk around Sewerby hall and gardens, maybe an afternoon at Filey, then finally go to Scarborough.

Let me know if you want any food recommendations for Beverley! (I've put on a good stone since moving here!)

Pinkvoid · 31/05/2019 15:40

I love Scarborough, Bridlington is a shithole.

Whitby is best.

Comet456 · 01/06/2019 09:18

I live in Beverley. Do I know you knobkockey?

Shipwrecked2019 · 01/06/2019 09:32

I live in Beverley too Comet456, knobjockey. Small world in these parts!

birdonawire1 · 01/06/2019 09:55

Bridlington is nice and calm and seasidey. I know just what you mean about the Scarborough hotel and parking. Also the bloody seagulls start screeching at 4 am!

whoami24601 · 01/06/2019 10:02

We have family in Scarborough so visit a lot. It's lovely! If you like a nice walk can I recommend falling foss on the road to Whitby? Beautiful woodland walks and the best bacon sandwiches in Yorkshire. What's not to like??

princessTiasmum · 01/06/2019 10:14

I live in Scarborough, and it is very busy just now with school holiday etc, but there are a few car parks that are free if you can find them, and a few multi story car parks, best not to try to park near the seafront though
The beach is mostly nice, Dolphins can often be seen,
I used to live in Brid, for a short time. but wouldn;t go for a holiday,
Scarborough is much nicer
Also has Peasholm park near the seafront with boating and nice walks through it,

KnobJockey · 01/06/2019 19:03

Probably not Comet, moved here about 18 months ago from Hull. It is a small world here, everyone knows everyone!

Comet456 · 01/06/2019 21:00

We should meet up and have dinner at The Westwood.

HairyToity · 01/06/2019 21:14

Sorry to ask for advice on someone else's thread. Never been to Yorkshire coast. We are fancying the Bay at Filey for a week in the summer holidays. My daughter insists holiday must have a swimming pool. Is Filey nice? My Internet research tells me that Whitby is lovely but can't find anywhere we fancy to stay within budget.

TanMateix · 01/06/2019 21:20

Bridlington is... terrible. Scarborough has far more to do, Whitby is wonderful, expensive to stay but great for a day out.

Filey is great with small kids if you are mostly focused on spending time at the beach, not much else to do at all.

Redtartanshoes · 01/06/2019 21:25

How about heading north and going to Musslebrough? There’s some amazing beaches, close to north Berwick and Edinburgh. Much quieter and nicer

Ronsters · 01/06/2019 21:52

Hairy, Filey is nice with a wide, long, clean beach. It's a small, old fashioned and quiet seaside resort.

Whitby is nice, quaint in places, I like the beach and you can walk to Sandsend, which is smaller and quieter than Whitby. Whitby can be very busy and parking can be an issue. I find Whitby a bit crowded at times but the beach is quite large/long if you prefer to get away from the crowds.

Brid gets a bad press , the town has declined since its heyday, but it has got better, I remember when it was seriously rough, it has improved in recent years. The beach at South Cliff is very clean and long.
You can also get very fresh fish from the fish monger/shop by the harbour (I take a cool bag).

Lozz22 · 01/06/2019 22:00

Bridlington premier inn DOESN'T have free parking!! I live here and to be honest I wouldn't recommend coming here for a holiday. If it rains we have naff all apart from a swimming pool, some amusements and tons of charity shops. Me personally I would stop in Scarborough. At least that way if the weather is shite there's the Brunswick shopping centre, the sea life centre and an escape room. Although apparently we do have one here in Brid now too! You aren't far from Brid if you stay in Scarborough only 18 miles down the road so could always come for day and are also fairly close to places like Whitby, Pickering, Goathland, Robin hoods bay and Dalby Forest. Oh and on a dry day peasholme Park is lovely to walk round too in Scarborough

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.