Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

I just had a tummy tuck and breast lift in the UK, ask me whatever you like

52 replies

TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 20:18

I'm bored on the sofa and can't settle on anything so feel free to ask me whatever you like.
I have been planning for around 9 months after a large weight loss and a truly disastrous stomach and boobs. Happy to be as honest as I can.

OP posts:
cryinglaughing · 09/12/2023 20:20

Private or NHS?
How much weight did you lose.
If private, how much did it cost?
Any regerts as yet?

TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 20:23

Hi Crying, great questions

Private, cost about £15k because it's basically two procedures in one
No regrets, even thought I'm swollen and a little bit uncomfortable. A lot of people I've followed the journeys reported having a 'what have I done to myself' moment, and I think it helped me knowing this. I do feel a bit held together with sticky tape and stitches but just seeing that skin gone is giving me so much joy.

OP posts:
TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 20:25

also, anyone else who's been through it want to share? I'd be so interested to hear from you how you feel about it now

OP posts:
FizzyLaser · 09/12/2023 20:25

For those of you interested in just great reductions there is a long thread in AMA

TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 20:26

sorry Crying, I missed one of your questions: I have lost over 4 stone but already had loose skin from pregnancy. The weight loss left the skin empty and just hanging

OP posts:
tuttifritti · 09/12/2023 20:32

Interesting! When I had my TT I was advised by my surgeon not to do both procedures at the same time for safety reasons.

The recovery is tough! Hope you are keeping as pain free as possible OP.

Are you wearing a compression garment?

tuttifritti · 09/12/2023 20:34

And I still love my TT over 5 or so years later.
My stomach looks better than it ever did even when I was young and very slim. Never really wear shape wear anymore or worry about wearing a bikini.

On the flip side my scar never faded that much but I had a c section scar there anyway so 🤷‍♀️

StBrides · 09/12/2023 20:35

I've heard that tummy tucks pull your 'bits' upward, but this can't be true?

TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 20:37

Hi tutti, I can honestly say I am not even aware of the boob bit. just being careful about not raising my arms up.
did you end up going back for the BL?

thank you for the kind wishes - pain seems not bad, been about a 1-2 so far. I'm wearing stretch bandage that covers my entire middle and that is tight and constricting but helping me feel held in. Obvs it looks super sexy too 😂

OP posts:
Emmagr1981 · 09/12/2023 20:38

How did you lose 4 stone and how quickly?

TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 20:39

yeah can report that my bits have been pulled upwards. not sure what'll happen when the swelling goes down but pretty happy about that!

OP posts:
SparklingSparkle · 09/12/2023 20:39

How long will recovery be?

TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 20:40

Emmagr1981 · 09/12/2023 20:38

How did you lose 4 stone and how quickly?

I lost it using myfitnesspal, just counting calories. Boringly simple...it's taken about 18 months but most of the weight came off in the first year

OP posts:
tuttifritti · 09/12/2023 20:42

That's great that your BL isn't bothering you. Make sure you take it easy with the recovery. I found it quite easy to overdo things then set myself back a little.

I went back for the BL consultation but I decided against it in the end. Not ruling it out in the future but I felt they looked better after the TT.

It's super exciting to see how you take shape as the months go by.

TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 20:43

SparklingSparkle · 09/12/2023 20:39

How long will recovery be?

I'm thinking of it in stages
a couple of days to be pottering slowly around the house and do very easy things like make a cup of tea

and then from what i've read i'm expecting
2 weeks to get dressings off and have a proper shower
about 3 weeks to drive (I hope) and do most things around the house
4 weeks to get back to bedroom stuff
6 weeks to get back to light exercise

I think to get back to fully normal with no swelling can be up to a year, but most recovery within the first 6 months.

OP posts:
CheekyChick876 · 09/12/2023 20:43

7 months TT post op here and couldn't be happier!

It's very worthy the initial discomfort, just hang in there!

salamirose · 09/12/2023 20:44

Are you worried about infection?

FuglyBitch · 09/12/2023 20:47

Do you feel like you need to fix other parts of your body, I always feel like once i fix one part, I’d start nit picking problems in other areas

TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 20:50

thanks cheeky! that's so great to know
tutti very encouraged by your words as well

salami, yes infection worries me a lot. They gave preventative antibiotics after the op. now just trying to keep my dressings covered and dry. This is a big part of why i wanted to be in the UK. I know if I had to get checked out I can be back at the hosptial in 30 mins and they have told me to call them for literally anything (I was onto them last night with questions about painkillers)

My nurse has been very serious about taking it easy and making sure I don't overdo it, little bit terrified of her so I want to make sure she's happy when I go back for checks 😂

OP posts:
TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 20:52

FuglyBitch · 09/12/2023 20:47

Do you feel like you need to fix other parts of your body, I always feel like once i fix one part, I’d start nit picking problems in other areas

Totally know what you mean, I was already doing that to be fair! but thinking about things that I just can't live with, this was the one. If my teeth are a bit crooked or my legs are a bit cellulitey it's whatever, that's in the normal range, but my tummy skin was for me somethng that I couldnt imagine taking into old age.

OP posts:
Dawndayda · 09/12/2023 20:52

I have 5 stone to lose and then plan on having a breast lift, will see where I'm at when I lose the weight for a tummy tuck. How many children do you have and how old? How are you managing with them while recovering? That's one of my biggest worries.

GreatGateauxsby · 09/12/2023 20:53

How old are you?

Do you have kids? How old? How are they coping with you having limited mobilty?

How are you managing this with work?
What did you tell them?
Are you on paid sick leave? Unpaid sick leave? General unpaid leave?

BadSnips · 09/12/2023 20:55

I'm so jealous.

I've lost 7 stone and boobs are down to my knees and my belly is awful.

I can't get the procedure though :(

I hope you're super happy with the results.

TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 20:59

Dawndayda · 09/12/2023 20:52

I have 5 stone to lose and then plan on having a breast lift, will see where I'm at when I lose the weight for a tummy tuck. How many children do you have and how old? How are you managing with them while recovering? That's one of my biggest worries.

I've got a teenager who is limited help in all honesty but I have someone else staying for a couple of days. With smaller kids, I think I'd have needed help unless one of them was super responsible.

The things I need help with are anything thats above or below sort of torso level - doing diswasher, washing machine, cat stuff, bin bags.

As for the hoovering that's going to have to wait a bit!

OP posts:
TummyTuckNameChange · 09/12/2023 21:05

GreatGateauxsby · 09/12/2023 20:53

How old are you?

Do you have kids? How old? How are they coping with you having limited mobilty?

How are you managing this with work?
What did you tell them?
Are you on paid sick leave? Unpaid sick leave? General unpaid leave?

Edited

mid forties. The nurse told me a lot of the ladies are mid sixties on(so no kids at home) but often say they wish they'd done it years ago.

Work wise I've used my annual leave - I checked the HR manual and it says for cosmetic stuff that annual leave should be used. Hoping the proximity to christmas means I'll have a quiet period when I start working again.

I plan to wfh for a couple of weeks - I actually feel like I could work from home now and I'm a week post op. If I was having to go back to the office, not sure - feel like I'd want 3 weeks after the op to be ready for that.

They know I'm having something cosmetic but they don't know what and i know my boss would be way too embarassed to ask. It's quite a formal workplace. If they asked me I'd be happy to talk about it but they are a bit stuffy for that

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.