My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

I lost 50lbs in less than a year on Keto - AMA!

56 replies

AnOldieButAGoodie · 11/01/2023 20:00

I often see posts on the 'popular / active' feed about weight loss, low carb, keto, etc. I lost 50lbs following a keto diet, so if anyone has any questions about Keto and weight loss feel free to ask away...

OP posts:
TappingTed · 12/08/2023 11:39

I’m excited to see this thread today- maybe it’s a sign. I’ve been swithering about whether to try keto/low carb again as I have what I’d consider disordered eating (not as bad as an eating disorder but deffo not normal eating patterns) and for years I’d describe myself as an “emotional eater” but when low carbing it is the only time in my life I don’t feel the desire to eat. I believe I feel like a slim person feels about food- take it or leave it, eat if hungry, able to stop… which is so very freeing.

But. Like you say- it takes time and an ability to cook from scratch, be organised etc. and I’m just not sure my life is in the right place for that. But I am so damned miserable feeling as bloated and fat and unhealthy…

Is there anything you could recommend @AnOldieButAGoodie for just getting started to make things seem less of a huge challenge?

AnOldieButAGoodie · 12/08/2023 11:57

TappingTed · 12/08/2023 11:39

I’m excited to see this thread today- maybe it’s a sign. I’ve been swithering about whether to try keto/low carb again as I have what I’d consider disordered eating (not as bad as an eating disorder but deffo not normal eating patterns) and for years I’d describe myself as an “emotional eater” but when low carbing it is the only time in my life I don’t feel the desire to eat. I believe I feel like a slim person feels about food- take it or leave it, eat if hungry, able to stop… which is so very freeing.

But. Like you say- it takes time and an ability to cook from scratch, be organised etc. and I’m just not sure my life is in the right place for that. But I am so damned miserable feeling as bloated and fat and unhealthy…

Is there anything you could recommend @AnOldieButAGoodie for just getting started to make things seem less of a huge challenge?

I'm glad you've found this useful, and hopefully this helps! The best resources I found were these recipe books by a U.K. author named Monya Kilian Palmer (she is a professional chef and even worked for Heston Blumenthal)

Keto Kitchen: Delicious recipes for energy and weight loss: BBC GOOD FOOD BEST OVERALL KETO COOKBOOK (Keto Kitchen Series) amzn.eu/d/5QMRXDC?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Lazy Keto Kitchen: Easy, Indulgent Recipes That Still Fit Your Macros (Keto Kitchen Series) amzn.eu/d/6nEdUsc?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Budget Keto Kitchen: Easy recipes that are big on taste, low in carbs and light on the wallet (Keto Kitchen Series) amzn.eu/d/5ZCUJui?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

She also had a blog with loads of delicious recipes, but I can't remember the name off the top of my head. The recipes in her books are delicious. In her first one I've linked she breaks down the keto diet and keto ingredients. I think I lived off the recipes from that first book alone for the first 2 months. They're all delicious! I have all of her books and they've got full colour photos of everything as well which I find really useful as I eat with my eyes first so it helps me decide what to make. Her keto cauliflower cheese is to die for and my family prefer it to a regular cauliflower cheese that uses a bit of flour in it.

My biggest tip for beginners would just to be prepared - get as many keto ingredients and keto friendly foods into your kitchen as possible, so there's no excuses as to why you can't make something.

If you're looking for a quick easy meal, eggs, omelettes, chicken, steak, grilled fish, etc are all super quick and easy to prepare alongside a bit of green veg.

OP posts:
Choux · 12/08/2023 12:09

Hi - do you know what your cholesterol level is? I like keto / low carb but I have been told to reduce my cholesterol so am not sure keto would be easy.

AnOldieButAGoodie · 12/08/2023 12:12

Choux · 12/08/2023 12:09

Hi - do you know what your cholesterol level is? I like keto / low carb but I have been told to reduce my cholesterol so am not sure keto would be easy.

Sorry I don't have a clue. Just know my blood pressure is low - but it always has been. I'd like to get my blood work done, but never get around to it. I feel healthier than I ever have before, and haven't been ill with covid or a cold since I started.

OP posts:
FloofCloud · 12/08/2023 12:12

I'm just starting out keto now ... albeit it's holiday time next week 🙈

Will keep this open for inspiration and ideas for meals

Well done all you who have lost weight

Eggbert83 · 13/08/2023 14:14

Hi all

I know this tread is a bit old now but just started keto 4 days ago and feel physically ok, not hungry, but am in such a bad mood today and wondering if this is all part of it as my body switches onto fat from carbs? For context I am going through ivf and have had quite a few rounds which is exactly why I’m doing this, to try to lose some of the weight I’ve put on as a result as have a big occasion in two weeks. But despite IVF being really challenging I am generally v upbeat and feel good, so feeling extremely angry and emotional is not usual for me. Always enjoy DH’s company but he is off out later and I cannot wait so I can just go back to bed and angry cry!! Any pearls of wisdom?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.