My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

I lost 50lbs in less than a year on Keto - AMA!

56 replies

AnOldieButAGoodie · 11/01/2023 20:00

I often see posts on the 'popular / active' feed about weight loss, low carb, keto, etc. I lost 50lbs following a keto diet, so if anyone has any questions about Keto and weight loss feel free to ask away...

OP posts:
AnOldieButAGoodie · 11/01/2023 21:04

karmalama · 11/01/2023 20:52

What sort of age bracket are you ?
Did this sort of diet about 20 years ago and found it a really easy quick way to lose weight.
Tried again last year , at 58 and it was horrendous, gave me massive gall bladder type pain for days .
Am thinking how I'm older my digestion just can't cope with the fat levels sadly

I started in my early 40's. As I've lost all the weight I really need to, I focus more now on clean cuts of higher protein meat, but still love cheese so get some fat from that along with olive / coconut oil, nuts & seeds, eggs etc.

OP posts:
AnOldieButAGoodie · 11/01/2023 21:07

Tapsthemic · 11/01/2023 20:55

Thanks for sharing! Tell me - how does booze factor into this? Is wine a total no-no? (asking for a knackered friend…)

Honestly, I would say it's best to abstain from alcohol for at least the first few months until your body (and your mind!) are really settled and on track with a keto way of eating. Once you see the losses that come as a result of your efforts, you won't want to derail yourself and put the weight back on.

An occasional glass of wine is ok (the dryer the better), but I'd limit it to 1-2 maybe once a week.

OP posts:
NCSQ · 11/01/2023 21:08

Sorry if I have missed this OP, but do you calorie count?

AnOldieButAGoodie · 11/01/2023 21:10

Rawroink · 11/01/2023 20:56

what do you do around your period with cravings 😳 that’s when I can’t

I really get the munchies during my time of the month. If I get the urge to eat more I just make sure it's still keto. So 85% dark chocolate, a snack plate with some salami, olives, cheeses, etc. A slice of keto cake or some berries with whipped double cream. 😋

OP posts:
AnOldieButAGoodie · 11/01/2023 21:13

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 11/01/2023 21:01

So is keto just very low carb then?

Yes. Staying to 20g net carbs per day (most carbs listed on UK packaging are net carbs already).

I would say now because I don't track much anymore my carbs range from 20-40g a day. But I only did this after maintaining my total loss for at least the first few months.

OP posts:
AnOldieButAGoodie · 11/01/2023 21:14

NCSQ · 11/01/2023 21:08

Sorry if I have missed this OP, but do you calorie count?

I did religiously for the first year. But the main thing I tracked was carbs (20g or under), protein and fats. I used my fitness pal to ensure that everything tallied up correctly and fit within my calorie count.

I explain more about tracking calories in my first reply I think.

OP posts:
theremustonlybeone · 11/01/2023 21:22

I think that is amazing- I did try keto and lost 11lbs in three weeks but I hated the keto breath, the feeling of eating fat and being in a ketosis- it didn’t suit me so I changed what I was doing and lost a further 2 stone . My sister loves the keto diet but it isn’t for everyone but I am glad it worked for you

ladymacbeth · 11/01/2023 21:28

I wish I'd done it over a longer period like you. I lost 55 pounds in 4 months and my body really struggled with the adjustment. Plus it wrecked my boobs!

BellatrixLestrangesHeatedCurlers · 11/01/2023 22:35

Wow well done OP, that’s a serious achievement! I bet you look and feel amazing. I ate keto when I lived alone as I couldn’t be bothered to try and use up an entire bag of potatoes of loaf of bread by myself before they went off, then was really surprised when my energy levels shot up. Think I might have a bit of an intolerance for gluten!

What were/are your top five quick keto snacks? I’m obsessed with cathedral city cheese sticks…

AnOldieButAGoodie · 12/01/2023 10:47

ladymacbeth · 11/01/2023 21:28

I wish I'd done it over a longer period like you. I lost 55 pounds in 4 months and my body really struggled with the adjustment. Plus it wrecked my boobs!

Not going to lie - my boobs are in a terrible state after children and the weight loss (I've lost a total of approx 100lbs since in the past 8 years, 50lbs in a year on Keto) so you're not alone in that!

OP posts:
AnOldieButAGoodie · 12/01/2023 10:53

BellatrixLestrangesHeatedCurlers · 11/01/2023 22:35

Wow well done OP, that’s a serious achievement! I bet you look and feel amazing. I ate keto when I lived alone as I couldn’t be bothered to try and use up an entire bag of potatoes of loaf of bread by myself before they went off, then was really surprised when my energy levels shot up. Think I might have a bit of an intolerance for gluten!

What were/are your top five quick keto snacks? I’m obsessed with cathedral city cheese sticks…

Top 5 Keto Snacks are:

Olives
Any kind of cheese - grilled Halloumi is great!
Parma Ham (no nitrates in it)
Seed crackers with salted butter
Salted nuts
Dark chocolate
Deliciously Guilt Free brownies
Eat KetoKeto bars
Coffee!!

That's more than 5 but I couldn't choose just 5. I will say though that I will either incorporate a few of the above into what would be one of my meals (so lots of little picky bits to make a grazing plate type lunch) or have one of the sweeter treats after dinner. I don't really snack anymore throughout the day because I no longer have cravings (carbs fuel the cravings so they go when you don't eat them!)

OP posts:
anewlifestarts · 13/01/2023 09:59

This is a really impressive weight loss!
What made you choose keto as a diet and how did you start?
Do you have a book or website you can recommend?
I have looked into keto and it all seems a bit overwhelming with contradicting advice, I'm just wondering how is the best way to begin?

jumpybumpy · 13/01/2023 10:11

Do you think you'll put it back on? I lost 75pounds on keto but it's back on plus more. I did like the diet but could not maintain it forever unfortunately.

JoyPeaceHealth · 13/01/2023 10:15

Similar story, I lost about 25lbs on Keto, was 'thin' for the first time in my life, but I put it all back on. I'm trying again now but I'm really trying to take a more middle path. Trying not to look at a leek and thing omg carbs! which was a type of eating disorder now I look back on it. I'm still making low ish carb choices and I have less fear of good fats than I used to have so it was a valuable experience but I cannot eat keto forever. I could eat low carb forever I think? ie, if I fell off the wagon and had an explosion of carbs like, a biscuit then I wouldn't experience the same feelings of utter failure, coming out of ketosis et cetera, it would just feel like, well, I had a biscuit. I'll stop there though.

amispeakingintongues · 14/01/2023 20:33

theremustonlybeone · 11/01/2023 21:22

I think that is amazing- I did try keto and lost 11lbs in three weeks but I hated the keto breath, the feeling of eating fat and being in a ketosis- it didn’t suit me so I changed what I was doing and lost a further 2 stone . My sister loves the keto diet but it isn’t for everyone but I am glad it worked for you

I feel today exactly how you felt. What did you do to lose a further 2 stone after ditching keto??

LostaraYil · 14/01/2023 21:03

Well done, op, and thanks for the tips. The cravings during TOTM have been my downfall many times. I know keto works for me and I like high fat food, I just fall off the wagon because I don't like cooking and carby treats are so much more easily available.
Did your weight loss slow right down as you were getting close to your target weight? I get disappointed when my weight plateaus, and sometimes it leads to a binges. I keep trying though, one day I will figure it all out.

theremustonlybeone · 14/01/2023 21:19

amispeakingintongues I signed up to a sort your fit out programme via Instagram. Focussed on doing up to 5 work outs a week. Calorie counting and ensured I was in deficit. I have stuck at it for over a year and fitter now than I have been in years and toned

AftersomeAdvice234 · 14/01/2023 21:43

Whats the best part of losing all this weight now?

amispeakingintongues · 14/01/2023 22:39

theremustonlybeone · 14/01/2023 21:19

amispeakingintongues I signed up to a sort your fit out programme via Instagram. Focussed on doing up to 5 work outs a week. Calorie counting and ensured I was in deficit. I have stuck at it for over a year and fitter now than I have been in years and toned

Wow 5 a week. I’m struggling to even run at since starting keto.

Congrats on your progress!

theremustonlybeone · 15/01/2023 07:13

Don’t be fooled! It took a while to get there. I have gone up and down when I got the last stone and kept going back to old habits in the last two weeks of each programme . They run 8 week cycles with a week break. So I managed to undo all my good work. It took a while to find the balance and even now I need to lose ten pounds the very last bit- I look slim and I am fit but I carry it in my stomach and boobs so need it gone. Then I will be happy . We need to accept we are human and will have issues along the way just don’t let them stop you from getting back to it

Pinkest · 22/05/2023 07:18

hi @AnOldieButAGoodie sorry to resurrect this thread but I’m thinking of starting this and wondered what electrolyte sachets/drinks you used or would recommend?

anabella2000 · 07/08/2023 16:44

While the thread might be a few months old, the impact of your success story continues to inspire many others. If you're still around and available to answer questions, I believe there are people who would benefit from your insights. Weight loss journeys can be challenging, and hearing from someone who has achieved such a significant milestone can be incredibly motivating.

If you're open to it, perhaps you could share some updates on how you've been maintaining your progress and any new lessons you've learned along the way. And those interested in exploring the keto diet can find valuable information at https://reverse.health/

Thank you for making a positive difference in this community, and I hope to hear more about your journey if you're still around.

Reverse Health

Reverse Health is the first women's only 12-week weight loss program that focuses on female physiology

https://reverse.health

AnOldieButAGoodie · 12/08/2023 11:22

anabella2000 · 07/08/2023 16:44

While the thread might be a few months old, the impact of your success story continues to inspire many others. If you're still around and available to answer questions, I believe there are people who would benefit from your insights. Weight loss journeys can be challenging, and hearing from someone who has achieved such a significant milestone can be incredibly motivating.

If you're open to it, perhaps you could share some updates on how you've been maintaining your progress and any new lessons you've learned along the way. And those interested in exploring the keto diet can find valuable information at https://reverse.health/

Thank you for making a positive difference in this community, and I hope to hear more about your journey if you're still around.

Hi @anabella2000 & @Pinkest

Thanks so much for your comments and interest on this thread. I've only just seen that's there's been further comments and interest on here, so I'll do my best to answer more questions for those that have them.

I'm still eating Keto and loving it. Although tbh a day or two a week are probably more low carb (40-50g carbs) than Keto (20-30g), but I don't think of them that way and still just consider myself Keto because it helps me stay on track.

If memory serves me right, I've been keto for 2.5years now and I still love it. I don't have any cravings for things like pasta, bread, pizza, etc. - basically anything with flour in it even though I still make my family using these things.

I've kept all of the weight off and have actually lost a further 2lbs mainly due to stress and not having much of an appetite. I've pretty maimed the exact same weight now for a year and a half. I'm peri-menopausal as well if that means anything to anyone. My BMI is 19.5 and I'm a size 6/8 (mostly an 8, but I was formerly a size 18/20)

My weight can fluctuate a lot. I went on holiday to America for a couple of weeks and while I still ate Keto and wasn't tempted by any of the non-keto foods out there, I did indulge in some of their readily available 'keto' products like ice creams, keto breads, etc. I found towards the end of my trip I was holding a lot of water weight (I tend to do this with any manufactured Keto junk food treats like I was eating there). It was about 6lbs, but was all water weight and I lost it within a week of being back home and eating 'normally' (for me) so I'm not that bothered with things like that any more.

Eating too much processed Keto food (here or when I travel) such as breads, pastas, ice creams, sweets, etc will cause me to retain a bit of water, but sometimes I just eat it anyways because I know I'll loose it again quickly.

For the poster who mentioned about cravings around their time of the month - I definitely get those too! I can often binge on Keto junk to satisfy my period cravings. It usually lasts 3 days. Once I get my period the cravings end, the bloating goes and the water weight goes and I'm back to normal.

If anyone has any more questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them Smile

OP posts:
AnOldieButAGoodie · 12/08/2023 11:27

Pinkest · 22/05/2023 07:18

hi @AnOldieButAGoodie sorry to resurrect this thread but I’m thinking of starting this and wondered what electrolyte sachets/drinks you used or would recommend?

While they may not be the greatest thing (ingredients wise) I just use the High Five Zero tablets from Amazon I find using a whole tablet in my glass of water too sweet, so I break them in half). Keto specific ones are just too expensive for me to use every day. They come in loads of different flavours!

HIGH5 ZERO Electrolyte Hydration Rehydration Tablets Added Vitamin C (Orange & Cherry, 20 Tablets) amzn.eu/d/8fS32Fd?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

For a cheaper homemade abs cleaner alternative you can just use lemon juice and a bit of Himalayan sea salt in a glass of water. Perhaps a bit of stevia or Erythritol would help to sweeten it up and make it taste more like an actual electrolyte drink tab?

OP posts:
AnOldieButAGoodie · 12/08/2023 11:33

I will also mention that my top tip for holidays is to stick to Keto and avoid temptation until the last day, and then I'll allow myself (if I want) to indulge in a treat like a piece of pizza or some gelato (when we were in Italy) or a nice Patisserie while in Paris. But always on the last day, so knowing that I'll be home that day or the next day and will just go back to eating Keto again. I've never had an issue with this (done it 3-4 times now) and haven't put on any weight or caused crazy cravings.

I do this because I know if I started to indulge in a non-keto treat at the beginning of my holiday, I'd probably go completely off track and just eat pizza, pasta, breads, pastries, etc the entire duration of the holiday and then getting back on track would be A LOT harder

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.