Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

I assess disability claims - AMA

407 replies

Galactico · 03/01/2023 20:10

Just as the title says!

I know the public feeling towards assessors isn’t always good. I’ve been doing the job for about 7 years, let me give you some insight into the “other” side.

OP posts:
Unforgettablefire · 03/01/2023 22:05

Mangolist · 03/01/2023 21:52

I've been doing PIP assessments with genuinely unwell people for several years. All I can say is that I have never met a single person doing these assessments with an ounce of empathy or understanding. They have actually sickened me. Have you been asked to be the 'face' of the caring dwp or something coming on here?
I'm not convinced.

Me neither. In all these years of these assessments I've yet to hear of one report that's been factual.

Some of the assessors are downright rude, and they get away with it and get away with blatant lies no matter how much people complain. There are zero consequences for their lies.
The ones who are apparently "nice" are called smiling assassins.
I'm not believing anyone that stands up and defends these people or the system.

DarkKarmaIlama · 03/01/2023 22:05

@Mangolist

I am not convinced either although the OP is putting on a good show.

TheShellBeach · 03/01/2023 22:06

thepatronsaintofbubblewrap · 03/01/2023 21:41

Both my assesors lied and if I hadn't have had advocacy and friends to help, I could be a disabled person on the street. I can see how easily thay can happen and I'm appalled by the UK as a developed country.
I had to say that, sorry.

Same here.
It took 18 months for my appeal to be heard.
When it was, DWP's decision was overturned and I was awarded PIP.
You rightly say that 80% of appeals are successful and go on to say that in that case, you assume lots of people appeal.
That is nonsense. Most people do NOT appeal.
I wish they would, to show up the DWP for the shitshow it really is.
The system is a disgrace and you should be ashamed to write this thread, insinuating that the process is simple, transparent and favours the claimant.
I nearly killed myself twice while waiting for my appeal.
Knowing that my assessor did not believe me, and wrote lies about me, was unbearable.

TheShellBeach · 03/01/2023 22:08

DarkKarmaIlama · 03/01/2023 22:05

@Mangolist

I am not convinced either although the OP is putting on a good show.

100% unconvinced as well.

Unforgettablefire · 03/01/2023 22:08

DarkKarmaIlama · 03/01/2023 21:58

It’s a hideous job. My sister is a PIP assessor and has been for many, many years. She finds the job easy but has admitted it’s because she has no empathy. She makes a lot of money really, works from home and certainly does not work that hard.

Are you ok with your sister doing this for money?

TheShellBeach · 03/01/2023 22:09

parsniiips · 03/01/2023 22:00

Why are claims taking so long?

I've been waiting 22 weeks for a decision on a change of circumstances.

Yeah, good luck with that.

DarkKarmaIlama · 03/01/2023 22:10

@TheShellBeach

If she does indeed have empathy and is trying to kid herself that her job is one with morals she won’t last long. The decent people leave due to moral injury. People like my sister stay because they simply don’t give a shit, and they’ll earn more money than what they would on a nursing ward, and for far, far less graft. The job needs people like that.

mummymayhem18 · 03/01/2023 22:10

Could I apply if I have bile acid malabsorption and painful bladder syndrome. I also have quite recently been told I have osteoarthritis in my knees and hips. I rarely go out and when I do get quite bad anxiety because I'm worried I'm going to have an accident in public as if I need a poo or a wee it will just start coming and I can't hold it. This has really affected me doing things over the years as in I don't do things and don't work due to these conditions. I also have vasculitis.

Galactico · 03/01/2023 22:10

Mangolist · 03/01/2023 21:52

I've been doing PIP assessments with genuinely unwell people for several years. All I can say is that I have never met a single person doing these assessments with an ounce of empathy or understanding. They have actually sickened me. Have you been asked to be the 'face' of the caring dwp or something coming on here?
I'm not convinced.

What is it you’re unconvinced of?

I definitely haven’t been asked to do this by anyone. I also don’t work for the DWP.

OP posts:
Simonjt · 03/01/2023 22:11

Galactico · 03/01/2023 20:33

I honestly don’t know.
There are absolute no incentives - financial or otherwise - for an assessor to play down someone’s disability or to falsify anything. I can truly say I have never exaggerated, downplayed or fabricated any part of any report.

I know it does happen though. We are always able to see any previous assessment results and sometimes you read it and can’t understand why the assessor has written certain things.

Did your husband appeal?

No he didn’t, he was sick of repeatedly being spoken to like he was stupid, being lied about and being told his significant physical disability doesn’t exist. They obviously are incentivised as they’re being paid to lie, apart from politics, I can’t think of any other jobs were telling lies about clients, customers or guests is perfectly fine, so fine that 91% of successful appeals don’t actually have any additional material presented.

TheShellBeach · 03/01/2023 22:11

Galactico · 03/01/2023 20:10

Just as the title says!

I know the public feeling towards assessors isn’t always good. I’ve been doing the job for about 7 years, let me give you some insight into the “other” side.

Public feeling about assessors isn't good because they're a bunch of liars.

DarkKarmaIlama · 03/01/2023 22:11

@Unforgettablefire

She is my sister and I love her but I think her job is not one with morals. She would agree. I have told her this. There’s not much more I can do, we are totally honest with each other.

I guess our values are different.

Galactico · 03/01/2023 22:13

DarkKarmaIlama · 03/01/2023 22:03

@mumoffloofs

In the words of my sister chances are
”next to fucking nothing”. OP will be along soon to lie about it though I should imagine…….

Why would I lie? Genuinely.

Your sister is right RE the adhd case.

OP posts:
mumoffloofs · 03/01/2023 22:13

@DarkKarmaIlama

Precisely what I suspect the answer would be on a real assessment 🤣 Looking at the criteria, the person could be awarded the lower rate based on their worst days but realistically I can't imagine it would ever be approved because of the job.

asblackasyoursoul · 03/01/2023 22:15

Could I ask which company you work for? Curious about getting into it myself but wary of bad reviews.

mumoffloofs · 03/01/2023 22:15

Cross post @Galactico

Thanks for answering!

TheShellBeach · 03/01/2023 22:16

DarkKarmaIlama · 03/01/2023 22:10

@TheShellBeach

If she does indeed have empathy and is trying to kid herself that her job is one with morals she won’t last long. The decent people leave due to moral injury. People like my sister stay because they simply don’t give a shit, and they’ll earn more money than what they would on a nursing ward, and for far, far less graft. The job needs people like that.

OP claims she's been doing this for 6 years.
I don't believe her, just like she/her colleagues didn't believe me when I claimed.
Bunch of amoral liars.

PrayingandHoping · 03/01/2023 22:16

And let's not get started on the joke of the carers allowance department

Stopped my payments with no notice in April. After 2 missed payments I rang them, they said it was an error and would give me the money within 10 days. 3 weeks later nothing so called back and got a call back from a manager who told me because I was self employed I had to submit my accounts to them ON 4th April. Not wait until December or use previous years like hmrc. When I told them it was completely unreasonable they literally told me tough. No self employed person has there accounts done like that

And when I questioned why I had no communication and they had just cut my payments they said "oh we are behind on sending letters out". The word sorry never came out their mouth and when I pulled him up on it he just repeated himself

Oh and he then asked me what my earnings were. That if I could tell him there and then on the phone I wouldn't have to wait for a form. Like really???? As if any self employed person knows the exact number with no notice. When I said that he says every other person he asks can give him it. Yeah right

We asked for a complaints form and funnily enough never received it

Arrogant idiots who don't live in the real world

Cutting peoples money with no notice is just criminal.

And the op wonders why people have no time for dwp

MEFibroHell · 03/01/2023 22:17

Galactico · 03/01/2023 21:00

We look at the whole picture for conditions where there’s a spectrum of how they may affect you.

Is the person working? Do they have children whom they look after? Are they a carer? Do they play football three times a week?

We try to build a picture of the person and their life. Ultimately, if someone is holding down a full-time job, looking after a toddler, has hobbies etc, it’s likely they’re functioning adequately.

If they’re unable to work (or have an adapted role), can’t drive anymore, have their Mum taking the kids to school, zero hobbies, prescribed painkillers etc, they’re clearly restricted.

This is why we ask SO many questions.

So you’re saying that working very, very part time, with frequent breaks to help me, and then being unable to move off the sofa the rest of the time or stand up to even make a meal, should have entitled me to help of some sort?
My assessors attitude changed the moment she realised I work, even though they are very limited hours, and it’s killing me. The chronic fatigue team advised me to give up work to have a chance of recovery, I can’t give up work unless I’m entitled to help.

I am prescribed multiple medications. The assessor mentioned in her report that I didn’t ‘sound’ like I was in pain during the telephone interrogation!

TheShellBeach · 03/01/2023 22:18

Galactico · 03/01/2023 22:13

Why would I lie? Genuinely.

Your sister is right RE the adhd case.

Why would you lie?
Because everyone at Capita does?
Come off it.

Freeasabird76 · 03/01/2023 22:20

I actually was awarded basic rate first time for daily living i think it is,this was after taking 5 years of nagging from my mum to apply because i couldn't face it after the horror stories i had heard.
And although i dissagreed about alot of what was wrongly stated in the report i didnt rock the boat for fear of losing the little i had gained.

TheShellBeach · 03/01/2023 22:20

The assessor mentioned in her report that I didn’t ‘sound’ like I was in pain during the telephone interrogation!

Same here!
Unbelievable.
OP How do you sleep at night?

TheShellBeach · 03/01/2023 22:26

Looks like OP has scarpered.
These threads always end like this.
Every so often a DWP assessor starts an AMA.
It's outrageous.

Galactico · 03/01/2023 22:27

TheShellBeach · 03/01/2023 22:18

Why would you lie?
Because everyone at Capita does?
Come off it.

I’m not involved with Capita. Even if I was, what would be the benefit to me of lying? This is all anonymous, has no direct impact on anyone’s claim etc. I’d stand to gain nothing.

Believe or don’t believe what you want, that’s your call.

OP posts:
disabilityama · 03/01/2023 22:29

Who do you work for, then, if it's not the DWP or Capita? Another agency?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.