8 best baby wipes for 2021
30 December 2020
As far as baby essentials go, they don’t come much more essential than wipes. Used for everything from nappy changes to mealtime clear-ups, baby wipes will become your new best friend in no time. Here are the ones we think work best - all plastic-free.
Messy jobs require a reliable solution and jobs don’t come much messier than a nappy change.
You’ll get through a lot of baby wipes during your baby’s nappy career, so finding some that are easy to use, don’t dry out and won’t inflame your baby’s bottom is really important. Add eco-friendly into the mix and you have yourself a winner.
Here are the best baby wipes for 2021. All brilliant at cleaning babies' bums and none containing plastic.
1. Best value baby wipes: Mum & You 100% Biodegradable Baby Wipes
“I'm pleased about the fact that they're biodegradable. I do feel guilty using wipes at times, and have tried cloths for hands and face instead, but this feels like a good compromise for us.”
These plant-based, plastic-free and Mumsnet Rated baby wipes are 100% biodegradable and the packaging is completely recyclable. They’re made from naturally derived, sustainable viscose, which itself is made from the most renewable wood fibre on earth. They’re even vegan.
All in all, a lot of thought has gone into making these wipes as planet-friendly as possible. But do they do the job? Absolutely. They contain 99.4% water and are hypoallergenic and dermatologically approved, so they’re as gentle as cotton wool and water, and mild enough to use on your baby’s hands and face too.
We especially like the different colours and designs on the packs that give your baby something to look at while you’re changing them.
- Completely biodegradable and recyclable
- Good for sensitive skin
- Not as moist as some wipes
2. Best baby wipes for eczema: Jackson Reece Kinder by Nature Unscented Baby Wipes
“Jackson Reece are the best wipes I've ever found. Just the right amount of wetness, slight soapiness (not actual soap), and perfect texture and thickness. I'm evangelical about them!”
Unscented and gentle, these wipes feel soothing on delicate skin. More than 99% of the ingredients used come from natural vegetable and plant extracts, and there are no nasties at all in sight.
They’re pH-balanced, hypoallergenic and dermatologically approved so are kind to eczema-prone skin, but they’re compostable and biodegradable so they're kind to the planet too. Parents also report that the wipes are moist enough to clean up mucky faces.
- Great for sensitive skin
Price: £24 for 12 packBuy now from Amazon
3. Best reusable baby wipes: Little Gubbins Bamboo Cotton Baby Wipes
“I’m also a reusable wipes user! I use them for faces and hands after mealtimes as wipes brought my son out in a rash and I thought these were better for the environment too. Mine are from Little Gubbins and they’re great.”
Parents can get through a lot of baby wipes in a day. If you’re serious about the environment or just prefer to use good old-fashioned warm water, reusable cloth wipes might be for you.
These quick-drying squares are made of bamboo and cotton so are easy to wash and dry, and will last for years. They can be used wet or dry and are as useful at mealtimes as they are for nappy changes.
Bamboo has antibacterial properties and breathable cotton means that these wipes shouldn’t harbour any germs.
- Easy to care for
- Not as convenient as disposable wipes when on the go
4. Best baby wipes for newborns: Natracare Organic Cotton Baby Wipes
These organic cotton wipes are infused with natural plant extracts and organic essential oils – including camomile, apricot and sweet almond – rather than parabens and other nasties, so they’re ideal for newborn nappy changes as they are gentle on sensitive skin.
They’re also biodegradable and approved by the Soil Association, so you can rest assured you’re doing the best thing for the future of the planet as well as your baby’s bum.
- Lovely smell
5. Best biodegradable baby wipes: Pura Baby Wipes
Pura Wipes are completely plastic-free, and even the packaging is recyclable. Made from PEFC-certified plant fibres, the wipes can be composted but will also biodegrade quickly in landfill.
The lotion is made from only 99% water and organic aloe vera, so the wipes are great for new babies as well as those with sensitive skin or eczema.
- Not flushable (but we wouldn’t recommend flushing wipes anyway)
Price: £22.86 for 10 packBuy now from Amazon
6. Best bamboo baby wipes: Mama Bamboo Biodegradable Bamboo Baby Wipes
Bamboo feels soft but is also super strong, so it’s an ideal material for baby wipes. It also has antibacterial properties, which can help reduce the risk of irritation.
These wipes are made from 100% sustainable bamboo, making them gentle on the planet’s resources as well as your baby’s skin. They decompose in around six months in landfill, and they can also be put in compost or even food waste bins.
They’re hypoallergenic, so are good for babies with sensitive or eczema-prone skin.
- Can be composted or put in food waste
- Wipes don’t separate well and you end up pulling several out at once
7. Best unscented baby wipes: The Cheeky Panda Baby Wipes
The Cheeky Panda Baby Wipes are designed by a couple who couldn’t find a biodegradable wipe for their new baby, so they invented one! There’s entrepreneurship for you.
These wipes are made from 100% bamboo with 99% water and 1% aloe vera so there are no nasties at all. They are biodegradable and compostable, and the packaging can be recycled through Terracycle.
They’re hypoallergenic so are good for babies with sensitive skin and are great for removing makeup for mums too.
- Dermatologically tested
- Compostable and biodegradable
8. Best multipurpose baby wipes: CannyMum Baby Wipes
These clever wipes are purchased dry. You add your own product to them, whether that’s a lotion of your choice or just plain water, and they can be used dry too.
They’re essentially a replacement for cotton wool but less messy, less squeaky and much easier to use. They’re great for wiping hands and faces, and removing makeup too, so a box covers a multitude of jobs. They can even be used as nappy liners.
They can be hand-rinsed and reused up to three times, making them much better value than many similar ‘disposable’ products. And when you do come to throw them away, they contain no plastics so are 100% biodegradable.
- Can be used for many jobs
- Partly reusable
- Need to add water or lotion to them so less convenient than other wipes when on the move
What are the safest baby wipes?
The safest baby wipes are those that clean up well and also are kind to your baby’s skin. We think the wipes that tick both those boxes best are Mum & You's 100% Biodegradable Baby Wipes. They’re super gentle, even on sensitive skin, and the next best thing to pure water as far as we can see. They’re also great for the planet, being completely plastic-free and biodegradable.
What wipes should you use for newborns?
Many midwives still recommend only cotton wool and water for newborn babies, but these days even the NHS says wipes are OK to use. Many wipes are formulated to be kind to delicate newborn skin. When buying baby wipes for your newborn, look for non-scented wipes made from natural ingredients.
How to choose the best baby wipes
- Decide whether you want reusable or disposable baby wipes – reusable means more washing, but they’re much better for the planet. Your decision might be informed by what type of nappies you’re going for too.
- Think about your baby’s skin’s needs – if they have particularly sensitive skin (or are newborn), you’ll need to choose baby wipes are hypoallergenic and recommended for sensitive skin. If they suffer from eczema, you'll want a wipe that won't inflame it further.
- Consider where you’ll be buying from – bulk-purchasing is always cheaper and you can order your wipes on Amazon or buy as part of your regular grocery shop. But if you only want to buy a couple of packs at a time, you’ll want to go for a supermarket brand or one you know you can get in a shop near you with no problems.
- Look for wipes that are strong and moist – a lid that sticks or snaps shut really well will prevent your baby wipes from drying out. A nice thick weave will put as much space as possible between you and baby poo – always a bonus. Equally, a large surface area helps, particularly where reusable wipes are concerned.
- Try out a few different brands see which wipes you like most – some wipes tear easily or feel too greasy on your baby’s skin. Once you’ve tried a couple, you’ll get a feel for what works for you.
How we chose our recommendations
We first looked up best advice from the NHS and NCT to see what medical professionals recommended. Then we went straight to the experts and consulted the Mumsnet forums to find out which wipes parents rated and which wipes didn't impressed them much.
We also looked at which products they said were good for hands, faces, spills and other general baby-related cleaning tasks because, as any parent will tell you, a packet of baby wipes has all manner of uses.
Next, we looked at reviews on other parenting and consumer sites to see which of those products had also won awards, accolades and recommendations from real parents in order to draw up a shortlist.
From that shortlist, we selected eight brands of baby wipe that we think offer what's needed for every lifestyle and budget.
Why you should trust us
We sometimes earn revenue through affiliate (click-to-buy) links in our articles. This helps us fund more helpful and independent review pieces like this one. However, we never allow this to influence our coverage.
Our recommendations are always made entirely by our journalists without input from our commercial team, and our writers are never made aware of any business relationships.
Mumsnet carries some affiliate marketing links, so if you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale (more details here).