Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

AIBU to think they don’t have an empty apartment? Help I need advice.

63 replies

favouriteflowers · 10/08/2026 17:34

Daughter is moving to Manchester from Ireland. 1 she choose an apartment nd paid the holding deposit. They did back ground checks and agreed she could rent. Said they would send rental agreements through 3 days before move in date which is 11 August.

On 6th they called and said the people who lived in the apartment decided not to leave and they offered her an alternative, she agreed on the proviso she could still move in on 11th. (New job starting the following Monday) They said they would send agreements on 7th.

This is now the 10th. The day before move in and still no agreements. No reply to various emails we sent on Friday and today. We have spent all day trying
to ring and phone just rings constantly. No answer. We are about to board an overnight ferry as this was all booked months ago when the initial apartment was booked.

AIBU to think they do not have an apartment ready? I’ve booked a hotel for one night just in case. I should say they have assured her there would be one for move in on 11th on phone but no emails or written confirmations. Phone calls are recorded does that help? I’m worried sick.

OP posts:
Hoppinggreen · 10/08/2026 19:02

SunnyRedSnail · 10/08/2026 18:01

How can a tenant decide not to leave? If there given notice then they have to move out.

I would go straight to the agency and camp out in their office until you have keys!!

Its not that simple, if they refuse to move it can take months to shift them and cost a lot

@favouriteflowers I work in property, including in Manchester and I have had dealings with X1. They are generally Ok. albeit not the most responsive. I have not heard about them going bust but it doesn't mean they definitely havent
How long have they held your DD's holding fee? Its illegal to hold it for more than 14 days
Feel free to Pm me if I can help

Motheranddaughter · 10/08/2026 19:01

SunnyRedSnail · 10/08/2026 18:01

How can a tenant decide not to leave? If there given notice then they have to move out.

I would go straight to the agency and camp out in their office until you have keys!!

Nonsense

PrincessDonutTheQueenAnneChonk · 10/08/2026 18:59

favouriteflowers · 10/08/2026 18:43

Oh god. Really. Can you link the Reddit thread?

Not that poster but think this must be the thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/manchester/comments/15xiqyb/are_x1_lettings_reputable/

favouriteflowers · 10/08/2026 18:43

Oh god. Really. Can you link the Reddit thread?

OP posts:
ThorsRaven · 10/08/2026 18:39

You might find this reddit thread useful, especially the comment linking to other threads about the same company. And the comment near the bottom of the thread (posted 19 days ago) about two associated X1 companies going into administration.

BirdLandedonmyHead · 10/08/2026 18:32

SunnyRedSnail · 10/08/2026 18:01

How can a tenant decide not to leave? If there given notice then they have to move out.

I would go straight to the agency and camp out in their office until you have keys!!

Periodic tenacies no longer exist. The tenant has to chose fo terminate.

SusanJJ · 10/08/2026 18:29

favouriteflowers · 10/08/2026 18:20

X1 sales and Lettings. I think they are legit enough. They used a 3rd party for vetting who did check out. I’m going to be at the office as soon as they open.

Sorry OP but X1 Sales and Lettings have some very bad reviews on Trustpilot. They are not a complete scam by the look of it, but offer a poor service to both landlords and tenants. I hope you daughter sorts something out OK.

favouriteflowers · 10/08/2026 18:20

X1 sales and Lettings. I think they are legit enough. They used a 3rd party for vetting who did check out. I’m going to be at the office as soon as they open.

OP posts:
SunnyRedSnail · 10/08/2026 18:01

favouriteflowers · 10/08/2026 17:34

Daughter is moving to Manchester from Ireland. 1 she choose an apartment nd paid the holding deposit. They did back ground checks and agreed she could rent. Said they would send rental agreements through 3 days before move in date which is 11 August.

On 6th they called and said the people who lived in the apartment decided not to leave and they offered her an alternative, she agreed on the proviso she could still move in on 11th. (New job starting the following Monday) They said they would send agreements on 7th.

This is now the 10th. The day before move in and still no agreements. No reply to various emails we sent on Friday and today. We have spent all day trying
to ring and phone just rings constantly. No answer. We are about to board an overnight ferry as this was all booked months ago when the initial apartment was booked.

AIBU to think they do not have an apartment ready? I’ve booked a hotel for one night just in case. I should say they have assured her there would be one for move in on 11th on phone but no emails or written confirmations. Phone calls are recorded does that help? I’m worried sick.

How can a tenant decide not to leave? If there given notice then they have to move out.

I would go straight to the agency and camp out in their office until you have keys!!

DelphiniumBlue · 10/08/2026 17:55

You're right to be worried, the fact that they are out of contact is concerning. What's the name of the agency, maybe someone here knows if they reputable? If all else fails, there's AirbnB for temporary rents until she can find somewhere more permanent.

GeorgeMichaelsCat · 10/08/2026 17:49

The property may exist but has been promised to loads of people, all of whom paid a deposit.

Have you researched the agency she used as PP said?

Shatteredallthetimelately · 10/08/2026 17:45

Agree with PP.
I remember a scam some time ago where deposits were taken and there was no actual properties.

Lexibletheflexible · 10/08/2026 17:37

Have you checked this is a real agency etc?