Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

AIBU to ask tenants to move before or after new baby?

319 replies

CatWithAPetDog · 30/05/2026 15:09

We are landlords and have a property that our son would like to move into at some point in the next year. Our current tenants have a toddler and have just told me that they are expecting another baby in November.

If you were the tenant, would you prefer to have to move out whilst pregnant or with a young baby. I know it’s not great timing for them either way, but which would you say would be easier? We can wait a while as long as my son is moved in this time next year, but then they would have a toddler and six month old baby, so it may be easier to do it sooner with just a toddler?

They’ve been good tenants so I would like to cause them the least stress possible.

Sorry forgot to make boring make sense

YABU - Get them to move before the new baby arrives

YANBU - Get them to move after the new baby arrives

OP posts:
ToKittyornottoKitty · 30/05/2026 15:24

Allseeingallknowing · 30/05/2026 15:22

Surely the options should be reversed, then!

Why? There’s nothing wrong with voting for before the baby is born

CatWithAPetDog · 30/05/2026 15:24

Allseeingallknowing · 30/05/2026 15:22

Surely the options should be reversed, then!

The voting options were just a way of asking before baby or after baby. It doesn’t matter which way round it is.

OP posts:
Member984815 · 30/05/2026 15:23

Give them as much notice as you can and before baby will be so much easier than with a toddler and newborn

Allseeingallknowing · 30/05/2026 15:22

Sirzy · 30/05/2026 15:20

They are voting for the options she provided in the post.

Surely the options should be reversed, then!

ToKittyornottoKitty · 30/05/2026 15:22

Allseeingallknowing · 30/05/2026 15:20

Why do so many think OP is being unreasonable?

Have you actually read the voting options? The vote fully ties with what people are saying

Sirzy · 30/05/2026 15:20

Allseeingallknowing · 30/05/2026 15:20

Why do so many think OP is being unreasonable?

They are voting for the options she provided in the post.

PurpleThistle7 · 30/05/2026 15:20

My landlords decided to sell when I was pregnant and waited to finalise their sale to tell us so we then had to leave within 4 weeks with a 4 month old. So anything that isn’t that would be better.

Allseeingallknowing · 30/05/2026 15:20

Why do so many think OP is being unreasonable?

katmarie · 30/05/2026 15:17

Under the new tenant rights rules you need to give at least 4 months notice for this, so I would suggest you tell them sooner rather than later, as that takes up to September already.

CinnamonBuns67 · 30/05/2026 15:16

Before, ideally sooner rather than later.

Timeforaglassofwine · 30/05/2026 15:15

Give them notice now and ask what they prefer, say you are prepared to be flexible a month either side and work with them to fix the date.

TheGirlWhoLived · 30/05/2026 15:15

Give them the option, say my son needs to move in in 18months, would you prefer to start looking now or to give you the notice after the baby is born

Tonissister · 30/05/2026 15:14

Before. And give them a long notice. Moving is stressful. Having a baby is stressful. Better if they don't have to combine the two.

OneDreamyGreenMentor · 30/05/2026 15:13

We moved when I was roughly 4 months pregnant with DD, DS was roughly 2 at the time. I can’t image doing it with a newborn and a toddler.

I’d tell them ASAP so they have enough time to sort things out, especially during the current housing and cost of living crises

ByCyanFinch · 30/05/2026 15:13

This happened to us. Tell them as soon as possible and give them a long time to find somewhere else. Stress that you will provide an excellent reference as they have been such good tenants. And if possible make it clear that there will be no penalty attached to them leaving earlier than the end of notice. It will be difficult for them to find somewhere so giving them as much notice and flexibility as possible is key.

andnowwhatdowedo · 30/05/2026 15:13

Warn them now they have max a year to move out and let them decide.

Sirzy · 30/05/2026 15:10

I would let them know now so they have plenty of time to prepare and find somewhere.

CarerBurnout · 30/05/2026 15:10

Before

Bunnyofhope · 30/05/2026 15:09

Before