Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

Trying for the last baby but perfect job has come up

85 replies

Choicesgalore · 15/05/2026 19:48

DH and I decided in March to give a last horrah on trying for our final baby, which would be DC3. Current kids are 5 and 3, but we are getting older (me lateish 30s/DH v early 40s). We’ve talked about it for so long and probably would have started trying last year but due to various work and wider family related stresses weren’t ready until March.

We’ve put a hard deadline on trying that we won’t go past the end of this summer as (for us) the age gap would be too big - DC1 would be starting year 7 when potential DC3 starts reception and that’s just drawing it out a bit too much for us.

I had an early MC at just shy of 6 weeks at the start of this month and it really reinforced how much we both want this last child.

However… the fly in the ointment. My dream job was advertised on Monday. DH and I both work in roles that rarely exist outside London, we live in the Home Counties with a 3h round commute to the City. We manage at the moment by doing opposite office and WFH days (and I’m 80% FTE) but it’s a constant juggle. This role is perfect for me and it’s the only employer locally who realistically will ever be able to offer this sort of role due to size - it’s a 7 min drive from home and a 4 min drive from the kids’ school, so I could literally be in the office and still get to do after school club pick up and start of school drop off. I’ve been waiting for something like this to come up with them for ages - from everything I’ve heard, they’re a really good employer.

I sent over an application (tbh, I’ve had one ready to go for years when the role comes up) and today they’ve asked me to interview.

What do I do? There’s no way I can have another baby on statutory mat pay - I’m in a senior role and it doesn’t start to cover our outgoings, even with cutting back. Savings took a hit with 2 in nursery and it’d be really financially irresponsible (would consume our rainy day fund and even that’s not what it was after last year’s events).

Equally I don’t want to bring my bridges with this employer. But I know if we don’t have a 3rd purely because of a job I’ll feel hollow… if it doesn’t happen because it doesn’t happen that’s fine, but as much as I love my career I’m not a person who wouldn’t have a wanted baby because of it.

I’d love to hear thoughts… my current frame of mind is:

  • keep going with TTC
  • keep going with interview process
  • if I don’t get pregnant and don’t get the job, nothings changed
  • if I do get pregnant and don’t get the job, fine, I’ve got a great package at my current place and reassess after mat leave (I do like my current job, it’s just that the local one would be perfect)
  • if I don’t get pregnant and do get the job, ok, we take that as our ‘sign’ and stop trying

My big thing is, what if I got the job and was early days pregnant? I could theoretically tell them in confidence and see if they’d let me have an enhanced mat leave package - I really can’t imagine they would but if they really wanted me, then maybe? Equally, if I then turned down the job because of mat leave finances at least I wouldn’t (hopefully) be closing the door with them - as they’d understand it was just awful timing - and could maybe look at a role with them in the future after DC3.

Any advice welcome, I know it’s a lot of hypotheticals but I’m suddenly stressing about how to make these things align (if that’s even possible). It’s not just any job, I do really want it for the role on its own, but also the local aspect would be amazing for our lifestyle and our kids. But equally I don’t think I’m hard nosed enough to stop trying for a wanted baby just because a great job has come up. ARGH.

I keep shuttling between
“maybe we stop trying and I push for the job? But I really want DC3 and it’s just a first round interview.”

”maybe sack the job interview off and focus on trying? But we might not get pregnant again so why close that door?”

”just keep going on with both? But that’s going to cause such a drama if both come through”

Ugh. Anyway. Thoughts welcome. I’m sick of running this past ChatGPT (apparently I’m brave and wonderful for assessing my life like this 😂🫠)

OP posts:
Choicesgalore · 15/05/2026 20:18

Nogimachi · 15/05/2026 20:00

Keep going with both - one or the other might or might not work out and if both do, you’ll work it out.
Having a local job is worth its weight in gold as the children get older and they need you, not childcare. (I work full time so children were in childcare or had nannies all through primary. Teenagers, it’s different.)

This is the thing about the local job - I’m very niche and it’s like gold dust. Small pool of qualified applicants but comes up very rarely, and I know if I was just thinking about my DCs it’s a no brainer, so DC3 feels like a selfish choice.

OP posts:
Choicesgalore · 15/05/2026 20:17

anxiouslywaiting8 · 15/05/2026 19:59

How long would you need to have worked there to get enhanced maternity pay?

I dont know for sure but it would definitely be out of our age window as I’m on a 3m notice at my current place.

OP posts:
HappyNooYear · 15/05/2026 20:03

Both.
my boss moved jobs. Whilst pregnant. New company knew she was pregnant and she started the new job after her 1 year mat leave. It is possible.

Nogimachi · 15/05/2026 20:00

Keep going with both - one or the other might or might not work out and if both do, you’ll work it out.
Having a local job is worth its weight in gold as the children get older and they need you, not childcare. (I work full time so children were in childcare or had nannies all through primary. Teenagers, it’s different.)

anxiouslywaiting8 · 15/05/2026 19:59

How long would you need to have worked there to get enhanced maternity pay?

Newsenmum · 15/05/2026 19:55

Both. Just do both.

Choicesgalore · 15/05/2026 19:54

(Chronic overthinker if you hadn’t already guessed. Great for me at work, terrible for this stuff)

OP posts:
Choicesgalore · 15/05/2026 19:53

Thanks @AlexaStopAlexaNo @PurpleNightingale thats my thinking at the moment. But it feels way more complicated in my head!

OP posts:
PurpleNightingale · 15/05/2026 19:51

You go for the job and keep trying for the baby and figure out the money/ mat leave later if you get it.

You can always save to help cover some leave when/ if the time comes.

AlexaStopAlexaNo · 15/05/2026 19:50

Keep going with the interview and the TTC, either one might happen or not…don’t rule out anything at this stage.

Swipe left for the next trending thread