Please or to access all these features

AIBU?

Share your dilemmas and get honest opinions from other Mumsnetters.

AIBU to stick with current buyer rather than sell to tenants?

104 replies

Whotosellto · 06/05/2026 23:50

I’m a landlord who currently selling a house. The tenants gave notice months ago and are due to move out soon. I received an offer on the house at asking price about 6 weeks ago which I’ve accepted. The tenants are now saying they would like to buy the house after the house they were buying fell through. They’re a family with 2 children and another baby on the way. They can’t match the offer already accepted, they’ve offered £10k less. They said they’re desperate. They’ve been ok tenants although they’ve missed rent a few times.

Would you stick with the existing buyer or accept the offer from the existing tenants? Would you feel more obligated to your tenants of a few years or to the buyer we have accepted an offer from already? Obviously the tenants could now refuse to move and cause issues which we need to bear in mind and they’ve offered less but we’ll save some costs by selling to the current tenants,
probably not £10k though.

Im thinking of sticking with the buyer we already have. AIBU?

OP posts:
Derbee · 07/05/2026 03:24

Your update changes my opinion. Would rather sell to a family than a landlord. You’ll save estate agent fees etc, and won’t risk having tenants that refuse to move out, ruining the original sale. £10K seems worth eliminating the risk

Birdsongisangry · 07/05/2026 03:05

Have you sold the house as vacate possession? Bit optimistic in the current climate to do so while it's still tenanted, even if the tenants had given notice. My worry would be the likelihood that the tenants won't find anywhere to go and you won't be in a position to go through with the sale.

Whotosellto · 07/05/2026 00:27

Nodlikeyouwerelistening · 07/05/2026 00:10

Of course you stick with the current buyers. Honestly I have no time for gazumpers (though technically the tenants’ offer is lower…). Your buyers will have spent money instructing a conveyancer, a survey etc. already, not to mention it’s their first choice house (not like your tenants) so they’ll mentally be excited and dreaming of their new house. It’s cruel to take that away from them with no good reason.
Presumably your tenants had the option to make an offer first but they chose a different house, so now they are desperate they have decided that your house is better than nothing. Well, what if they see another house they prefer between now and exchange and pull out? Honestly it’s not worth the risk, especially not for LESS money.

Edited

Thanks. As far as we know, the buyer we have had an offer from is a landlord who plans to rent the house out so probably not excited about their new house in the same way someone who was buying it to live in would be, but yes I think everything else you’re saying is right.

OP posts:
Nodlikeyouwerelistening · 07/05/2026 00:10

Of course you stick with the current buyers. Honestly I have no time for gazumpers (though technically the tenants’ offer is lower…). Your buyers will have spent money instructing a conveyancer, a survey etc. already, not to mention it’s their first choice house (not like your tenants) so they’ll mentally be excited and dreaming of their new house. It’s cruel to take that away from them with no good reason.
Presumably your tenants had the option to make an offer first but they chose a different house, so now they are desperate they have decided that your house is better than nothing. Well, what if they see another house they prefer between now and exchange and pull out? Honestly it’s not worth the risk, especially not for LESS money.

Swipe left for the next trending thread