Talk

Advanced search

Andrew Gilligan Times: 'Green high-flyer Aimee Challenor hid father’s rape charges' David Challenor 'A paedophile rapist posed a “major safeguarding risk” for almost two years'

(256 Posts)
R0wantrees Sun 13-Jan-19 01:28:48

(extract)
"A paedophile rapist posed a “major safeguarding risk” to young Green Party members for almost two years because one of the party’s rising stars did not clearly tell colleagues that the man had been charged with serious sex crimes.

An independent investigation has found that Aimee Challenor, a transgender activist and candidate for the Greens’ deputy leadership, committed a “serious error of judgment” by appointing her father, David, as her agent at two elections even as he faced trial for kidnapping, raping and torturing a 10-year-old girl.

The inquiry, by the investigations consultancy Verita, criticised the Greens for treating the matter “primarily as a communications one” and “failing to see the safeguarding issues that arise”. The party’s “support for diversity” did not remove the need for someone like Aimee Challenor to have proper “training and support” in a leadership role, the investigators said.

A 17-page summary of the report was quietly published last week. However, the full 80-page report, seen by The Sunday Times, is more critical. It says Challenor, the Greens’ equality spokeswoman, had been guilty of a “serious omission” by not telling her local party and most national officials about her father’s charges.

Challenor blamed her autism for not doing so and told the inquiry: “At the end of the day you can’t go about telling every Tom, Dick and Harry.” The investigators said they found it “hard to understand some of Aimee’s actions and explanations”.

The omission allowed David Challenor to run his daughter’s office and mix with young activists and members’ children at events that included a picnic only weeks before his trial.

A jury at Warwick crown court convicted Challenor of holding his victim captive in the attic of the family home. He was jailed for 22 years for the series of offences." (continues)

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/green-high-flyer-hid-father-s-rape-charges-kdhrfhll3

current thread:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3474311-Veritas-report-due-tomorrow-Thursday-at-midday-re-Aimee-Challenor

OrchidInTheSun Sun 13-Jan-19 01:36:10

Gilligan is really not pulling his punches. Surely questions need to be asked of all political parties now?

Datun Sun 13-Jan-19 01:41:57

I'd like to ask Aimee challinor why they posed on some attic steps whilst displaying a girl guide badge.

And how people are so wilfully blind:

Neither Phipps, a fellow gender activist, nor Hawkins passed the information to anyone else. The inquiry said that “their first instinct was to protect Aimee”.

R0wantrees Sun 13-Jan-19 01:43:08

Gilligan is really not pulling his punches. Surely questions need to be asked of all political parties now?

Yes also organisations and charities starting with Stonewall.

FoxyLaRoxy Sun 13-Jan-19 07:36:07

Very good article by @mragilligan . Perhaps he could take it further and list the charities, lobby groups and institutions that Aimee (who clearly has no knowledge of safeguarding) has had hand advising policy on because that would be a scandal. I believe there are quite a few...

AutumnCrow Sun 13-Jan-19 07:43:23

Is Aimee Challenor claiming then that they are neurologically incapable of understanding safeguarding? (How insulting to people with ASD.)

But yet they remain on young people's advisory panels ... ? Claims to be an 'expert' at the Oxford Union ... ? Can't have it both ways, Aimee.

nauticant Sun 13-Jan-19 08:27:34

Sometimes they're stunningly brilliant and sometimes they lack the capability to understand just about anything. It depends on what best suits their argument advanced at any particular time.

Anlaf Sun 13-Jan-19 08:28:39

The omission allowed David Challenor to run his daughter’s office and mix with young activists and members’ children at events that included a picnic only weeks before his trial.

Christ

Poppyred85 Sun 13-Jan-19 08:34:51

Has anyone got a share token for that please?

ReflectentMonatomism Sun 13-Jan-19 08:40:33

Stonewall are going to find that being cozy with people who are relaxed about paedophile rape has resonances. The “gay men are inherently a risk to children” trope is long standing and dsngerous, and one gay rights organisations have worked hard to counter. Look at how tatchell now squirms about his past.

The German greens are in crisis as their penetration by paedophiles like Cohn Bendit emerges. Now it’s the uk greens, but also stonewall. A bad look.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 13-Jan-19 08:40:47

..and Aimee is a Stonewall adviser? An organisation that is intent on removing women and girls sex based rights and protections.

EmpressAdultHumanFemale Sun 13-Jan-19 08:44:53

Here's a sharetoken. www.thetimes.co.uk/article/green-high-flyer-hid-father-s-rape-charges-kdhrfhll3?shareToken=5a8d1583b86b77d297e5730abb710424

ReflectentMonatomism Sun 13-Jan-19 08:45:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ChewyLouie Sun 13-Jan-19 08:53:32

The girl guides photograph on the attic steps but speaks a thousand words about the drivers and motivations of AC.
A badge collected by young girls taken on the entrance to a site where a young girl was horrifically tortured by a person involved in dismantling the safeguarding of young girls. Every organisation this person was/is involved with,needs to take action to justify not reviewing any decision making where AC has been involved. This should include a review of minutes of all meetings to understand the scope of influence exerted by this deeply troubled person. Their silence on this national scandal means they are complicit in any resultant abuse and should be held to account by victims.

fidgetspinner555 Sun 13-Jan-19 08:54:47

The claim by Aimee that autism has caused lack of safeguarding awareness. I find that staggering. Autistic kids - Aspie or High Functioning like Aimee usually have a better grasp of the rules. They like to stick to them.

I agree that Andrews article could have been much more scathing - I wonder if he's been told to reign it in.

HermioneWeasley Sun 13-Jan-19 08:59:13

Aimee is unfair to hold any kind of position of responsibility

HermioneWeasley Sun 13-Jan-19 08:59:51

Unfit not unfair

R0wantrees Sun 13-Jan-19 08:59:55

ReflectentMonatomism
I've reported your post.

Perhaps you're new to this board.
Its Mumsnet a site primarily for parents.
This board is FWR chat (feminism and women's rights)

Why not have a look at some previous threads and read the room?

Needmoresleep Sun 13-Jan-19 09:01:46

The lack of mention of Stonewall is telling. Lawyers?

borntobequiet Sun 13-Jan-19 09:04:24

I hope this gives the Lib Dems a fright, and that they start putting their own house in order.

CallingDannyBoy Sun 13-Jan-19 09:08:56

First comment mentions that Aimee has been advising GG and other groups about transgender issues and obviously doesn’t know about safeguarding, great first comment please recommend if you can as it keeps it at the top of the comments section.

teawamutu Sun 13-Jan-19 09:09:12

From what I've seen so far, Stonewall has been completely silent on the issue.

I want to see them explain their reasoning regarding the make up of their 'expert' panels. And then I'd like to see every bit of guidance they've produced in recent years reviewed by people who actually fucking understand safeguarding/give a shit about it.

This is giving me the absolute rage and I can't understand how stonewall is still the gold standard for diversity and inclusion. angry

Katvonbatshitmermaid Sun 13-Jan-19 09:10:13

What's a "gender activist"? They say Phipps is a "fellow gender activist ".

Sexual stereotype activists?

Transgender activists?

What does it mean ?

NotBadConsidering Sun 13-Jan-19 09:20:03

Would have good to mention that the report raised concerns that AC still has no understanding of safeguarding and is currently working (not sure if paid work) for Stonewall and is part of Lib Dems in some way.

RedToothBrush Sun 13-Jan-19 09:21:28

Has the leaked report been leaked to the public or just the press?

It should be. Its in the national interest. Its not just about the Green Party.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »