Talk

Advanced search

"Outstanding woman" award BBC Radio Scotland now

(38 Posts)
Bejazzled Mon 12-Feb-18 10:45:45

and yes, it's a trans-woman. Joe Clifford named by the Saltire Society. Being interviewed about the suffrage and the struggle for the right to vote "we fought for".
Always liked to look feminine and play with dolls of course......

Geronimoleapinglizards Mon 12-Feb-18 10:49:00

Shit.

I've just run out of anything else to say. How incredibly insulting.

YessicaHaircut Mon 12-Feb-18 10:51:11

I misread that as ‘Satire Society’. Would have been much more appropriate.

StillTryingHard Mon 12-Feb-18 10:52:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 12-Feb-18 10:53:24

Oh ffs

Terftastic Mon 12-Feb-18 10:53:37

FFS.

QueenLaBeefah Mon 12-Feb-18 10:54:01

Ffs

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 12-Feb-18 10:54:20

I don't think that's entirely accurate. As far as I can find out, the Saltire Society induction 10 women into their "Outstanding Women of Scotland" community, one of which was Joe Clifford.

Link: http://www.saltiresociety.org.uk/news/2017/03/07/10-new-inductees-into-the-outstanding-women-of-scotland-communitee

Terftastic Mon 12-Feb-18 10:54:45

It's just so utterly predictable though.

I thought the world had gone mad when Caitlyn Jenner spent 5 mins dressed as a woman, and got Woman of the Year - but it was just the start of things to come.

Fraying Mon 12-Feb-18 10:55:10

So the most outstanding woman in Scotland is actually a man . . .ffs

LyndaLuvsDFW Mon 12-Feb-18 11:00:07

This is an extension of the thing where a man does stuff in the house/childcare and expects a fucking medal for it because 40 years ago it was considered women's work. Now a man pretends to be a woman and DOES get a fucking medal for it.

LyndaLuvsDFW Mon 12-Feb-18 11:04:33

I wonder how many trans men get nominated for men of the year type stuff simply because they're women who have chosen to join the men's club? But women are supposed to be grateful for the man who graces us with his presence? This actually makes me angry angry

Bejazzled Mon 12-Feb-18 11:05:05

assasinated. You are correct, one of ten, 'outstanding women' sorry if my op was misleading it wasn't intended. Point still stands though. Joe isn't a woman.

Bejazzled Mon 12-Feb-18 11:05:50

I did text into the show but it wasn't read out. I was very polite.

Lancelottie Mon 12-Feb-18 11:07:51

How on earth did that interview go?

'Gosh, I'd never even realised that transwomen were refused the vote before 1918! That's awful, isn't it? What did they have to do to get it?'

'They were, um, too oppressed to be seen as the true women they were, so they were OPPRESSIVELY MADE TO HAVE THE VOTE even though it denied their femininity. Or something.'

NorthernLurker Mon 12-Feb-18 11:09:13

I think the best response is indeed the simple ffs!

Waddlelikeapenguin Mon 12-Feb-18 11:11:05

"Her transition from John to Jo has enabled her to become an actor and performer." hmm
From their web page.

BeatriceJoanna Mon 12-Feb-18 11:17:35

'They were, um, too oppressed to be seen as the true women they were, so they were OPPRESSIVELY MADE TO HAVE THE VOTE even though it denied their femininity. Or something.'

Have had a depressing morning so far and this thread just added to it but that made me proper lol, thanks. grin

PerfPower Mon 12-Feb-18 12:34:12

Fucking hell. What an absolute farce.

Bejazzled Mon 12-Feb-18 14:26:50

I suppose we are all supposed to just fall in line and applaud like a crowd of North Koreans.

CertainHalfDesertedStreets Mon 12-Feb-18 16:09:41

S'pose it depends what your criteria for 'outstanding' is. I guess s/he does stand out...

Bejazzled Mon 12-Feb-18 17:56:55

S'pose it depends what your criteria for 'outstanding' is. I guess s/he does stand out

....or their criteria for what a "woman" is......

StealthPolarBear Mon 12-Feb-18 18:00:00

Knew itd be a man before I opened hehe thread. All the best women are men.
We women just needed a man to show us how it's done.

AltheaTrell Mon 12-Feb-18 18:04:46

FFS. What a piss take.

Horridemma Mon 12-Feb-18 18:06:01

Really really really really ?

Another man / Transwoman representing women ? Under what guise this time? Seems to be we have loads of performers / media reps who gave been enabled through being a transwoman.

We are truly on our way to becoming third class citizens. #sexnotgender

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: