Talk

Advanced search

Can we support Heather Brunsell Evans?

(80 Posts)
AssignedPerfectAtBirth Mon 20-Nov-17 09:49:51

twitter.com/brunskellevans/status/932544273144270848. Can you retweet?

Her statement

www.heather-brunskell-evans.co.uk/thoughts/public-statement-to-the-womens-equality-party/

The Women’s Equality Party (WEP) has informed me that three Party Members have alleged that my “conduct” on the BBC Radio 4 Programme the Moral Maze on 15th November 2017 has “promoted prejudice against the transgender community”. The Party is currently giving weight to this allegation. As a Spokesperson for the Policy on Violence Against Women and Girls I have been informed I am under review by the Executive Committee.

The Committee is now examining my public statements including my blogs, social media, and on-line forums. It is also assessing whether I have complied with the Volunteer Agreement which I signed at the beginning of my term of office. If the Committee concludes my views do promote prejudice, I have been told I will be expelled from the Party, subject to any appeal I might make to the Appeals Body whose decision will be final.

At the same time, the Party is completely silent about the “conduct” of a fellow panellist on the Moral Maze, Jane Fae. Fae, a trans woman who transitioned to a feminine identity in middle-age, is a speaker for Mermaids (the charity that supports children to transition). She alleged that the prescription of hormone blockers to delay puberty in girls, or the injection of testosterone at the age of 16, is of no greater social or moral concern than prescribing the contraceptive pill.

There are complex psychological and social reasons why, in a society structured by gender and the sexualisation of girls and young women, there is an unprecedented upsurge of girls declaring they are ‘really’ boys. However, there is no credible science to back the narrative that gender ‘identity’ (rather than biological sex) is innate. Hormone blockers have serious consequences on the body, including the probability of infertility. A substantive number of medical practitioners are extremely worried about this practice (as well as the serious medical interventions that usually follow, such as surgical removal of breasts) but daren’t speak out for fear of accusations of transphobia.

I joined the Women’s Equality Party because I believed in a political party which would keep at the forefront the rights and safety of girls and women. Through the example of the Moral Maze, the Party has demonstrated it shares similar approaches to transgenderism and to girls and women’s rights as other political parties: it has not questioned Fae’s views whilst rendering my free speech ideologically suspect; it is concerned to protect the trans community rather than the swathes of girls who are increasingly subject to harmful medical practices.

I refute that I have promoted prejudice against the trans community either on the programme or through my writing and social media. I have called for transparent public debate, without fear of reprisal, of the social, psychological and physical consequences of the narrative that children can be born in ‘the wrong body’.

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Mon 20-Nov-17 09:52:49

#StandWithHeather

PricklyBall Mon 20-Nov-17 09:56:11

I don't do twitter, so I'll say it here instead - I support her completely.

SonicBoomBoom Mon 20-Nov-17 10:00:23

I had such high hopes for the WEP when they launched. Thank God, I thought, we really really need this.

I think I think MRAs are less dangerous for women and girls than the WEP.

I absolutely support her.

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Mon 20-Nov-17 10:09:03

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/feminist-accused-of-promoting-prejudice-kwjz9nvcc?shareToken=d5a64dc0fda657a51f02fa3dd6454981

DJBaggySmalls Mon 20-Nov-17 10:26:11

I support Heather Brunsell Evans; the medical sterilisation of children is child abuse, its gay eugenics.
Homophobia is a hate crime. Sexual orientation is a protected characteristic.
Children that are too young to sign a legal contract or consent to a tattoo or body piercing cannot give consent to permanent medical changes.

WEP no longer speaks for women.

jMillicentFawcett Mon 20-Nov-17 10:47:39

WEP no longer speaks for women or children.

SonicBoomBoom Mon 20-Nov-17 10:51:46

From that Times article:

Brunskell-Evans suffered a further blow when a talk she was due to give to medical students at King’s College London was cancelled over concerns it would violate the university’s “safe space” policy.

FOR FUCK SAKE!

Seriously, medical students. No longer allowed to hear about the medical impact of drugs on the body.

This whole thing is so preposterous I cannot comprehend it.

LangCleg Mon 20-Nov-17 11:05:57

Gender critical women have NO political home.

I bought the book about transgender children edited by Heather and to which she contributes a chapter, which largely argues that "transgender children" is a new category constructed by adult transactivists to serve a political aim. It is highly thought-provoking. The whole book is great and also horribly, horribly disturbing.

Here's the truth though: if the WEP has decided to align itself with Gender Identity Theory, Heather has no place in the party...

... neither do I, and neither does any gender critical woman, or in effect, any woman who prioritises the interests of women and girls.

AssignedPerfectAtBirth Mon 20-Nov-17 11:22:30

I know Lang. I think we need to start a new party

diddlemethis Mon 20-Nov-17 11:26:01

This is so horribly distressing. Shame on you WEP.

TheHumanRace Mon 20-Nov-17 11:34:25

I was just coming on here to start a thread asking MNer's to support Heather Brunsell-Evans, and found this one!

Please support her on twitter if possible, and like her tweet where she says what an isolating experience this has been:
twitter.com/brunskellevans/status/932544273144270848

Also support the tweets of solidarity aimed directly at the WEP.

They need to see women will support other women who speak out, (she was an expert on the moral maze FGS,) and we will not just shut up cos it makes it all a bit awkward for them.

The WEP need to show whether they are on the side of adult females or not, even if it means upsetting a tiny minority of adult males.

DonkeySkin Mon 20-Nov-17 11:46:57

Such a brilliant, clear statement from Heather. What makes it so strong is that she is not at all defensive; rather, she goes on the offensive against gender identity ideology.

For too long feminists have been forced into a weakened position by the outrageous claims of trans activists: forced to defend ourselves against unfounded claims of bigotry and hatred and often outright lies. The effect of this is that trans activists have been able to set the terms of the debate: women who question any aspect of the trans agenda often end up spending most of our time denying that we are horrible bigots, that we want trans people dead, etc, and begging, 'Please just listen to us about these reasonable concerns...' while simultaneously desperately trying to prove that we aren't Literal Nazis.

When, in fact, it is trans activists who need to defend their claims and their political agenda. They are the ones trying to reshape the law and all of society in the service of an unfounded and deeply sexist belief system, and pushing extreme medical interventions onto children in an attempt to 'prove' the naturalness of this ideology.

I have called for transparent public debate, without fear of reprisal, of the social, psychological and physical consequences of the narrative that children can be born in ‘the wrong body’.

Heather's letter is a superb example of the way gender-critical feminists should be conducting our arguments. Don't be defensive, don't waste time trying to placate TRAs or prove that you are not a witch TERF: boldly challenge trans ideology at its roots, and put the onus back on its believers to logically defend their claims and the harm that they are doing to women and children.

Elendon Mon 20-Nov-17 11:58:17

Great statement. I don't do twitter but want to voice my support for her here on this thread.

TheHumanRace Mon 20-Nov-17 12:09:34

I feel we need to increase the visible numbers of support: make the WEP's twitter feed full of outraged women. At the moment it will have more outraged TRA's which is why they get their ear.

If you don't do twitter, consider signing up, (under a pseudonym if necessary, with a gmail account just for this, that's what I've done).

You don't have to post anything, or devote lots of time to it; 5 mins a day to 'like' the posts of Women's Place, fair play, MayDay, Trandgender Trend, and others, will just add to the numbers of voices showing solidarity with the women who are, and can, speak out.

I signed up to twitter for this, and use it in this way: I just find 5 mins most days, look at my feed and offer visible support through 'like' to those speaking out.

Please consider it, we can't remain a silent majority on this and expect to be listened to.

Ekphrasis Mon 20-Nov-17 12:21:13

I’ve been saddened by this. I also listened to half the R4 prog and found myself shouting at it a few times.

Regarding twitter (and I know I should be able to work this out) is it possible to have two accounts on your phone? I have twitter for work and have to be careful. (Shows how much I fear some of the TRAs).

Nyx1 Mon 20-Nov-17 12:22:04

"no greater concern than prescribing contraceptives"?

faints

Ekphrasis Mon 20-Nov-17 12:24:26

“I believe you can identify as anything you want to, Black, white...”

Ummm...

TheHumanRace Mon 20-Nov-17 12:27:49

Ekphrasis I opened a new gmail account to open a twiiter account (I only use this email for that twitter account nothing else) neither of which have my RL name linked to them, so it operates entirely separatly from all my other contacts.

I can now just add my support quickly and daily to all the brave women who are taking the heat, and show there are many of us behind them.
We need numbers to get heard.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Mon 20-Nov-17 12:29:05

I don't believe WEP have ever stood for women. Every time they've come onto MN they've made themselves look worse.

TheHumanRace Mon 20-Nov-17 12:29:50

"I believe you can identify as anything you want to, Black, white...”

I think that means: you can say any shit you like, we don't have to agree with you or go along with it.

Ekphrasis Mon 20-Nov-17 12:43:08

The human, it was one of the guests reasons for saying children should be just allowed to say what they are and supported. Their opening line was they believe you can identify as anything. I found that particular part to be potentially quite inflammatory in the light of the Rachel Dolezal case.

Thanks for twitter advice, I’d have to log out and in to swap between the two wouldn’t I?

LangCleg Mon 20-Nov-17 12:45:45

AssignedPerfectAtBirth

If only I had the capacity or the energy!

Honestly, how have we ended up here? I'm middle-aged. I was brought up in a large family full of second wave radfems. It's never occurred to me NOT to be gender critical. For one reason or another both I and another family member, way back in the 90s, separately became friends with several transsexuals, who were integrated into our family/friendship group. Everybody has always got along perfectly well.

Everybody understands that gender is an oppressive social system. Everybody understands that some people suffer from dysphoria so catastrophic that they need medical/surgical intervention. No transsexual I know would force their way onto women-only shortlists, or claim a female body or soul. No radfem I know rejects the suffering of dysphoria.

And yet a tiny core of extremist and obviously sexually motivated men have colonised the transsexual experience in order to wreak havoc just about everywhere I look.

It's hard not to be despondent.

TheHumanRace Mon 20-Nov-17 12:52:08

Ekphrasis yes I suppose you would. Or can you have two accounts opne at once?

Don't know I'm afraid.
Unless you just used anon account only on a PC, leaving you free to use your phone free for all RL work and contact?

ArcheryAnnie Mon 20-Nov-17 13:11:12

The fact that they've gone after Heather and not Jane Fae says everything.

Heather, if you ever get directed to this thread: good on you. If the WEP survives at all it will be because of women like you who stand up for women and girls.

Honestly, the WEP's actions in this case are very Poliburo-like. Comply, or off to the gulag you go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now