Talk

Advanced search

What sort of BMI do you think of as slim?

(46 Posts)
Tanaqui Tue 07-Jun-16 13:33:58

This question is prompted by nothing but vanity!

I am a healthy BMI, but although I feel quite strong and fit, I definitely look solid rather than slim. Does one need a sleb type BMI of 18 to look slim, rather than "normal"?

I do know that BMI is supposedly set a bit high for shorter people and some ethnic backgrounds, but I'm Caucasian and 5'4 if that makes a difference? (And a biggish build- size 7 feet).

Just wondering whether to stop or try and keep going really!

almapudden Tue 07-Jun-16 13:49:53

Probably under 21, but it depends on the person's build. If they're muscular, they could look slim and toned at a higher bmi.

RunnerOnTheRun Tue 07-Jun-16 14:11:07

BMI means absolutely nothing. Body fat % is what you need to know (the ratio of fat to lean).

There is a whole spectrum of different body shapes at 18 BMI etc. It's what that 18 is made of that really counts for the look!

I wish the BMI charts were abolished.

Tanaqui Tue 07-Jun-16 14:18:10

I agree body fat % is a better measure, but I understand that the home scales are notoriously inaccurate, and I figured more people were likely to know their BMI. I could definitely try and get mine down though!

StewardsEnquiry Tue 07-Jun-16 14:27:11

For me under 21 looks slim but I am tall.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 07-Jun-16 14:40:14

I think anyone within the healthy recommended bmi numbers looks slim

But I don't have x ray goggles and can't see the fat round the organs grin

I don't agree that they're generous for short people. At the top of the bmi I'm a size 8 and I'm only 5ft tall. This is because I have giant norks that don't disappear with dieting.

I would love to be at that bmi of 25 now - instead of the probably 40 I am hmm

EarthboundMisfit Tue 07-Jun-16 14:41:15

I think 22ish

mamapants Tue 07-Jun-16 14:48:38

For me under 21 is slim.
But it does depend on muscle mass too. Ii used to work with two women who were the same weight and height but one cycled a lot so had muscle she looked very slim the other woman did not.

GraciesMansion Tue 07-Jun-16 14:53:56

I'm 5'1 and from previous experience I know that to look slim I have to have a bmi of around 18. Sadly it's currently at around double that and a bit more

Felascloak Tue 07-Jun-16 15:07:16

I look slim (size 8) and my bmi is 22. I have never been at the bottom end but if I were to lose another half a stone I'd look scrawny. If I go to upper end of health BMI I look a bit more wobbly than I'd like! I'm 5'3" fairly average size boobs and bum I would say.

Do you think your mind is overestimating your actual size?

BoboChic Tue 07-Jun-16 15:08:10

Anything over 20 is no longer slim.

DownstairsMixUp Tue 07-Jun-16 15:19:28

Anyone who makes the above comments (bobochick) has no clue what they are talking about. You can get two people with a bmi of 20, same height etc one might look too skinny, one might even look curvy and one might look slim. Bmi is very rough and it varies so much by build and even breast size for some women and also muscle. I would say MOST look slim between 18 and 24 bmi ish. I am 5'5 BMi 21.8 9 big boobs small frame size 8-10 and exercise a lot I would say right now I am slim not skinny.

DownstairsMixUp Tue 07-Jun-16 15:21:25

Agree with body fat to. My friend has a bmi of 19 but is more wobbly than me as ahe hates exercise. Can imagine her body fat is higher than mine.

Felascloak Tue 07-Jun-16 15:23:13

That's a totally unhelpful comment bobo.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 07-Jun-16 15:24:46

My BMI is 22. I'm a size 8-10.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Tue 07-Jun-16 15:26:21

BMI doesnt mean much. I train at the gym, have the same measurements like 6 years ago and weight a stone more.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 07-Jun-16 15:28:26

Anything over 20 is no longer slim

That is so wrong and so utterly depressing.

It's just as disordered a way of thinking as hugely overweight people like me thinking they're 'healthy'.

Some girls of 20 or less bmi stop menstruating because they're too thin.

I really wish people wouldn't see extreme thinness as desirable. And that this image wasn't peddled by the media.

LaserShark Tue 07-Jun-16 15:40:41

I don't know about looking slim but I was happiest with my appearance at a BMI of 25 or 26. I wonder if body shape has an impact? I'm an hourglass and at that weight, I had a really defined shape. Lower down the scale, my boobs deflate and my face looks too long. Maybe if I was a round-faced apple shape I'd prefer a lower BMI.

Hopefully Tue 07-Jun-16 17:15:07

I have a fairly broad frame, am 5'6", and I only start to look properly slim under a BMI of about 21.5-22.5, depending on how toned I am. Currently BMI of 24.5 and look fine, perfectly normal size 12, but not someone you'd look at and think 'gosh, she has a great figure'z

Sirzy Tue 07-Jun-16 17:21:32

My bmi is 25. I am a comfy size 8 in clothes, quite curvy and more than happy with my size. I think like most generalised measures bmi is a pretty inaccurate measure

I did have a bmi over 40 at one point though.

mamapants Tue 07-Jun-16 17:34:42

Wow you must have very heavy bones or heavy muscles sirzy, do you do a lot of strength training?
Id need to gain a stone at 5'2 to have a bmi of 25 at which point I definitely wouldn't fit a size 8 anymore.

HahahahaFuckYou Tue 07-Jun-16 17:36:52

For me personally anything between 17-19. Although I feel most comfortable at anything under 17, However my opinion is irrelevant as I have a history of eating disorders/ body dismorphia.

juneau Tue 07-Jun-16 17:45:53

I'm 5'4" and my BMI is 21, which is slap bang in the middle of the 'healthy' range for my height and I would describe myself as slim to average. My top half is slimmer than my bottom half (because I'm pear-shaped). For me, personally, to be slim I'd need to be in the 18.5-20 BMI range.

PookyHook Tue 07-Jun-16 17:51:58

I think it depends on the person and their build and how much muscle they have.

I have a small frame, for me I feel slim with a BMI under 21, ideally 19-20. I have gained weight recently and my BMI is now exactly 21. I feel like I have too many wobbly bits and am going to start exercising again now that my exams are over.

I don't think it's healthy to obsess about weight though. I'm going to try to gain muscle over the summer so my weight and BMI may increase but I will feel slimmer.

LondonSpoon Tue 07-Jun-16 18:18:48

My bmi is around 23.5 and I'm quite large. I'm 5'3" for reference. To be slim I'd have to be under 20 I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now