Talk

Advanced search

Stressed about Tuesday already!

(67 Posts)
GreyVelvet Sat 15-Apr-17 18:02:32

I'm really stressed / worried / anxious about going back on Tuesday. I can't even think straight. It's like I lose all function of my brain properly to do things.
I am leaving at the end of the year but I need to get through till then.

What do you do to calm you down?

Pinkandwhiteblossoms Sat 15-Apr-17 18:03:33

I used to HATE going back after holidays, it's like the worst feeling ever flowers

GreyVelvet Sat 15-Apr-17 18:07:07

Are you still in teaching?

Pinkandwhiteblossoms Sat 15-Apr-17 18:08:30

Not at the moment, as I have two tiny children, so I hope you don't mind the reply but I just sympathised so much with you. I used to get dirrorea (so) and stomach cramps, the worry was so severe.

GreyVelvet Sat 15-Apr-17 18:29:45

Thanks for sympathising!
I'm leaving teaching. I love teaching, the children, it's just management and the education system which is not for me.

70ontheinside Sat 15-Apr-17 19:14:05

No words of wisdom. I'm dreading it, too.
I have applied for another job during the holidays and need to tell them. That's not going to go down well confused

GreyVelvet Sat 15-Apr-17 19:23:00

70 how come you've applied for another job?

LockedOutOfMN Sat 15-Apr-17 19:26:38

Sounds trite but maybe set yourself up some little treats for each evening next week and also have some nice stuff to take into work: new coffee cup, new notepad, etc. At least organising it will take your mind off of actual work for a while!

70ontheinside Sat 15-Apr-17 19:46:56

I like teaching and I know it can be different, so I need to leave my current school. Not quite ready to quit teaching altogether!

Euphemia Sat 15-Apr-17 20:22:15

I'm like 70.

Bloody awful new HT, prickly colleagues, horrible atmosphere. I've applied for another job, just waiting for interview.

I'm in Scotland so only 11 weeks until the Summer holidays - bring it on!

MagicalMrsMistoffelees Sat 15-Apr-17 20:36:42

Can't wait for last day of summer term!!

This year has really opened my eyes to all the ridiculous flaws in the education system which I have no power to change. The ridiculous constraints and box-ticking and paperwork for the sake of a potential visit from ofsted with no benefit for the children.

It's all so needlessly complicated and could be simplified by anyone with a moderate amount of organisational skills. Every school is reinventing the wheel constantly. The number of wasted man hours must be staggering.

I love the children and teaching but had enough! What to do instead though?

BoysaDearyMe Sat 15-Apr-17 22:47:08

Serious question - for those who are going to/plan to leave teaching what do you plan to do job wise and will you receive a similar salary level (and how will you cope with having to stretch 20-30 days annual leave over an entire year)?

GreyVelvet Sat 15-Apr-17 22:54:30

*euphemiastargood luck!

GreyVelvet Sat 15-Apr-17 23:00:08

I'm luckily only 4 years into teaching so my salary is actually comparable to starting level of other graduate type jobs (around 35k) so I'm going to move over to something in the private sector (not education) and save up then I'm hoping to train to become an educational psychologist

GreyVelvet Sat 15-Apr-17 23:01:10

Magical I spend my time trawling those threads on TES that day, what to do after teaching...

DalaHorse Sat 15-Apr-17 23:14:17

Popping in to say you teachers are amazing. I'm happy with the ones who do a good job of getting information into my childrens' heads, but the ones who make them happy whilst they are doing it are all stars in my eyes! smile It's a tough job and even as a non-teacher I know that a lot of the holidays and after school times are spent preparing and marking and thinking about child x or y and how to get the best out of them. And red tape and internal politics.

NoMudNoLotus Sat 15-Apr-17 23:43:18

I'm not a teacher but I am nurse, and I'm very anxious about going back next week.

I lay in bed every night with physical signs of anxiety 😞.

It was so stressful 2 weeks ago that the consultant & I both had a tear in the mgt office during our shift because we were so stressed , felt so helpless, understaffed , under resourced , unsupported and felt that the ward was so unsafe for patients and staff .

GreyVelvet Sat 15-Apr-17 23:52:04

Thank you Darla

GreyVelvet Sat 15-Apr-17 23:52:58

Dala

No mud* I'm sorry you're feeling that way. Is there any support elsewhere in the team or is the whole system just overstretched?

thebluedragon Sun 16-Apr-17 09:39:41

Hi Grey,

I'm in a similar situation to you except I am going to a new school next year which I hope I will enjoy more.

Last term, I allocated Wedneday night to be my night. I wouldn't do any work on that one evening and would make sure I went out somewhere (cinema, bowling, restaurant etc) with my husband or friends. That really helped. It was stressful, at first, because I felt I should be spending my evening working (like every other evening) but nothing fell apart and no one died surprisingly!

CarrieBlue Sun 16-Apr-17 11:24:29

Boysadearyme - I hope that's not a dig? I would 'cope' extremely well with 20-30 days holiday because in a 'real' job I wouldn't be so utterly exhausted after working 60+ hours a week, working through what are referred to as holidays/weekends, and I wouldn't have to put up with being constantly undermined by students/parents/management/government/media/random folk on the internet.

PumpkinPie2016 Sun 16-Apr-17 11:27:49

I'm not looking forward to it either - not to the same extent as you but still not great.

I quite like my school and love the actual teaching but the department is a mess at the moment with lots of people off long term/no consistent supply/at least 3 more leaving at the end of the year so not the easiest of places at times!

I'll be ok once I get back on The but I've had such a lovely break with DH and DS and seeing family/relaxing and I don't want it to and sad

BoysaDearyMe Sun 16-Apr-17 11:38:15

Carrieblue - not a dig, I did say it was a genuine question.
I think you'd find though that in very many jobs staff are putting in similar hours - hence my question as to what teachers would do instead?
Also, which graduate jobs have a starting sales of £35k - can't think there's very many of those. Official statistics on annual earnings state otherwise.

CarrieBlue Sun 16-Apr-17 11:43:28

Teaching doesn't have a starting salary of £35k either. There is something all encompassing about teaching that is different from other jobs though - maybe the health service is similar, but still doesn't have the same public disdain that teaching has which adds to the stress of it all. I doubt that teachers have as much as 30 days proper holiday now so like I said, it would be fine to cope with.

leccybill Sun 16-Apr-17 11:44:51

I don't think regular graduate office workers are putting in 60+ hr weeks every week.

Teaching is intolerable at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now