Talk

Advanced search

Puppy Survival thread part 4

(998 Posts)
GooodMythicalMorning Fri 01-Sep-17 08:56:45

Puppy's getting bigger!: continuation of Bitey's thread. If anyone wants to join feel free.

Soubriquet Fri 01-Sep-17 09:02:20

I'll join for a little bit but I'll have to drag my bum over to the teenage thread really...

TheAntiBoop Fri 01-Sep-17 09:03:59

Well my pup is 13 weeks. Problems we are having - he hates being brushed and he barks at everyone when we go for a walk!

Soubriquet Fri 01-Sep-17 09:08:51

Take some treats out with you

Get his attention every time you spot something he might bark at

Stop walking and keep treating as the dog walks by

Eventually he will start to look at you when he sees something bark worthy instead of barking

Same with brushing really. Little brush, treat, little brush, treat and then stop. Always stop on a positive note

Eventually you'll be able to extend how long you brush

Marley45 Fri 01-Sep-17 09:10:13

We're picking our rescue pup up on 23 September so will be joining in soon!

BiteyShark Fri 01-Sep-17 09:23:22

TheAntiBoop mine still isn't keen on being brushed even though he goes to the groomers frequently. I sneakily brush him for a minute when he is sleepy at night grin

Sooo every few months we have a morning like today's where he barks at 4ish in the morning for no reason other than he's up and he wants us up. I got up twice to see if he wanted the toilet and then eventually threw a treat in his crate and he finally was quiet until his usual time.

TheAntiBoop Fri 01-Sep-17 09:38:50

Thanks! Will try that.

Ds is practicing violin and pup is sitting at his feet and woofing and yowling! Not sure if he's joining in or trying to make him stop!

monkeywithacowface Fri 01-Sep-17 09:56:15

Just marking my space. We've made it through our first full week! Yay! He's generally doing very well but need to now start work on being left alone for short periods.

GooodMythicalMorning Fri 01-Sep-17 10:02:19

monkey we started slowly, 10 mins on his own, then 15 and just made it a little longer as he has to be able to be on his own whilst I do the school run in the afternoon so thats just over an hour. I'd say he'd quite happily be on his own for two now but wouldnt really want to leave him more than that at the moment. As he gets bigger Im sure we will at some point though.

TheAntiBoop Fri 01-Sep-17 10:04:20

My pup likes having the radio on. He's partial to radio 4....

GooodMythicalMorning Fri 01-Sep-17 10:16:05

We leave the telly on for a bit of background noise. (Usually stampy on youtube!)

monkeywithacowface Fri 01-Sep-17 12:15:18

I'm getting mine used to the sound of Judge Judy so hopefully he'll find her firm but fair analysis of all things legal soothing whilst I'm gone grin

GooodMythicalMorning Fri 01-Sep-17 14:53:38

grin brilliant plan

TheAntiBoop Fri 01-Sep-17 15:48:10

So we went out and I got him to sit and gave him a treat when he saw something bark worthy. Which was fine. Except every few minutes he would just stop and sit whilst looking at me expectantly!!

BiteyShark Fri 01-Sep-17 16:12:56

I'm liking all the tv/radio channels that the pups like grin.

Well I quite liked the agility class even if we only did the very basics. Now need to decide whether the go group training or 1-1. Thinking 1-1 is so better value but very tiring (for me wink, BiteyDog takes it in his stride)

SkeletonSkins Fri 01-Sep-17 16:50:51

We always did group sessions as it's a social occasion too! Ha!

Can't believe I started the first thread so long ago feeling so clueless and now it's on thread 4. I really didn't think anyone would reply but it's so true that having a puppy is incredibly hard work and full of worry! I've loved that this thread has always focused on helping and not criticising and I'm sure that will continue.

BiteyShark Fri 01-Sep-17 17:00:51

Yes these threads have been great grin.

I am toying with group versus 1-1 as I plan to continue gun dog training for another year which is a very much social event so wondered whether it would be best to just do a concentrated 30mins agility rather than another 1 hour group event every week. Can't decide confused

GooodMythicalMorning Fri 01-Sep-17 17:03:29

Maybe 1-1 might be more useful as itd be concentrating on Biteydogs skills rather than trying to watch everyone

BiteyShark Fri 01-Sep-17 17:05:55

GooodMythicalMorning that was my thinking in that he was very concentrated on what he was required to do unlike in gun dog training when he gets bored and starts trying to play with the other dogs grin

monkeywithacowface Fri 01-Sep-17 17:29:39

We've had a 1:1 training session which was really helpful as a starter and we'll start group ones in a few weeks. The trainer also does free weekly puppy walking sessions so will be going to that too as from next week.

Left monkey pup for a short time today to pop out, he was really tired so seemed a good time to leave. I need to practise leaving him in the kitchen with the stair gate shut while I get on with things around the house. It's ok if he's tired he takes himself off to his crate and sleeps but when he's wide awake he cries and chews the chairs and pulls the blanket off the top of his crate. I must admit I'm scared I'll never be able to leave him alone at this point. I know it's early days but feeling a bit glued to him at the mo and getting nothing done in the mean time!

roundtable Fri 01-Sep-17 17:59:52

We're on holiday with Roundpup and a day in she's started her first season.

She's a bit put out about not being able to play on the beach with other dogs. We've tried to take her where there are no other dogs for off lead time.

She's been surprisingly well behaved and unstressed though (apart from car journeys). It's a big site and there's a lot of other dogs here including one in the caravan next to us that likes to hang out the window and bark at her and she's generally ignoring.

Must ring rescue centre to get her booked in to be neutered which I feel a bit worried about now. Hopefully she'll make a quick recovery.

I didn't realise there was a teenage section. I should probably be there too. Seems like ages ago that we picked her up from the rescue centre.

roundtable Fri 01-Sep-17 18:02:53

Thinking of trying her without her crate after she's healed from neutering. Has anyone done this?

Although she tolerates her crate, she's much happier in the day on her other bed. Would only do it gradually though.

TheAntiBoop Fri 01-Sep-17 18:12:18

That's an interesting point about the crate.

Pup is fine overnight in it and will go in for an hour or so during the day but what is the max time you can leave them during the day in the crate?

I don't want to leave him loose as he isn't trustworthy yet!!

BiteyShark Fri 01-Sep-17 18:23:51

roundtable there was a teenage thread but it wasn't as busy as the puppy thread so I decamped back here grin

Wolfiefan Fri 01-Sep-17 18:29:36

Wolfie pup is now on raw food. Could be that or she's older and had her first season. She's soooooo much calmer. Managed a show and took the dogmatic off. (Slip lead in ring.) came second! Ring craft used a proper leather little slip lead. She was great!
She's FINALLY off the longline around the cats and I can let her in the garden with the kids too. No ball games mind. Too tempting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now