Talk

Advanced search

Mad Cow Disease The Great British Beef Scandal.

(82 Posts)
HelenaDove Thu 11-Jul-19 21:22:50

Is anyone else watching?

HelenaDove Thu 11-Jul-19 22:04:50

Apparently the incubation period for this disease depends on your gene type. MM MV or VV are the 3 types ALL the people who died in the first wave were MM

catchyjem Thu 11-Jul-19 22:07:13

Just watched this. Now sort of wish I hadn't! I shudder when I remember all the cheap hamburgers I ate for school lunch everyday in the late 80's.

HelenaDove Thu 11-Jul-19 22:14:13

www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/is-mad-cow-disease-set-to-strike-again-its-been-20-years-since-cjd-claimed-almost-180-victims-but-scientists-believe-we-may-be-on-the-verge-of-a-new-epidemic/ar-AAE8Fzd?ocid=st

HelenaDove Thu 11-Jul-19 22:15:28

@catchyjem as a teen i pretty much ate anything including hamburgers from the van at local markets. Ditto school as you said

justasking111 Thu 11-Jul-19 22:17:23

I wonder if folk aren`t dying at the moment and because they are old autopsies are not carried out.

BedraggledBlitz Thu 11-Jul-19 22:20:24

Horrific. I remember it, I was a kid and was really worried at the time. The documentary said it was in blood transfusions too, so not just beef.

Those poor families losing their children.

There aren't many diseases that are unquestionably terminal these days. How worrying.

GalactiCat Thu 11-Jul-19 22:24:04

I think a lot more people died than 180. My husband's father had CJD. He had a secondary infection in the hospital due to all the tubes (pneumonia) which is what they put on the death certificate as killing him.

justasking111 Thu 11-Jul-19 22:32:03

I think you are right Cat. It is a very specific autopsy I seem to recall involving brain tissue being checked.

HelenaDove Thu 11-Jul-19 22:35:52

Excellent point @justasking111

HelenaDove Thu 11-Jul-19 22:49:23

www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jul/11/mad-cow-disease-the-great-british-beef-scandal-review-is-it-really-gone-for-good?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

HelenaDove Thu 11-Jul-19 22:56:24

"Nobody who lived in the UK between 1980 and 1996 is allowed to donate blood in any other country because they may be incubating vCJD"

Faultymain5 Thu 11-Jul-19 22:57:25

Watched this with my husband. He says it was scarier than The Ring. We're sitting here thinking about how someone decided that cannibalism for cows would work out well for us. And the first place they decide to poison is schools.

How on earth people trust the government and big business to look after is beyond me. The food is not safe, sweeteners are not safe, what else do they say is safe, that we really dont know? How exactly can we trust them?

HelenaDove Thu 11-Jul-19 23:03:52

it was bloody horrifying. Thatcher brought those changes to school dinners in in early 80s

GirlRaisedInTheSouth Thu 11-Jul-19 23:06:16

It's terrifying, isn't it? We just don't know what is in meat. Processed meat has also since been classified as a carcinogen. Cases of people dying from Salmonella and other meat-based diseases are on the rise, too.

I went vegan after the horse meat scandal. At the time people were like "GRITS, why are vegan? You're not a hippie." To which my response was: "I want to live."

HelenaDove Thu 11-Jul-19 23:09:49

I do on rare occasions eat white meat but havent ate red meat for decades.

HelenaDove Thu 11-Jul-19 23:10:37

*eaten

justasking111 Thu 11-Jul-19 23:25:16

It has an incubation period of up to fifty years shock

HelenaDove Fri 12-Jul-19 00:07:08

Yes and going by the programme its pre determined by your gene type

I probably need to watch the last fifteen mins again to get all the sciency bits.

TurquoiseDress Fri 12-Jul-19 00:22:29

I only caught bits of this towards the end- it's pretty horrifying

It does make sense that the genetic variants determine when the disease "shows itself" and all those who died were the same profile

The footage from Papua New Guinea was eerie....the story of how they ate parts of deceased relatives including brain matter.

I remember all the scandal in the 90s- it made me definitely want to have packed lunch at school and it put me off burgers/red meat for years

Very interesting program and with a large amount of foreboding for what might be round the corner for the UK

TurquoiseDress Fri 12-Jul-19 00:23:16

I'm going to try and watch it again on catch up/whatever it's called

cushioncovers Fri 12-Jul-19 13:41:08

Watching it now.

MadamePompadour Fri 12-Jul-19 13:44:42

It's still possible it's in blood transfusions today.

I believe it's also possible for it to be transferred in an operation from previously used instruments. I read the prions aren't killed by standard autoclaving?

HelenaDove Fri 12-Jul-19 15:43:06

Yes you dont have to be a meat eater to possibly be affected.

HelenaDove Fri 12-Jul-19 15:43:55

Then there is all the talk about the deregulation of food after Brexit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »