Talk

Advanced search

Are all teenagers horrible?

(131 Posts)
Gekkoforprimeminister Sun 11-Feb-18 20:59:49

All I seem to hear about teens is how awful, difficult and unlikable they are. Ds is only six and so loving and happy. Is it inevitable that he will become a complete horror? Or is there some hope, are some teens actually ok?

LilaBlue Sun 11-Feb-18 21:00:43

Mine are honestly lovely.

Neolara Sun 11-Feb-18 21:01:03

My 13yo is still pretty lovely. Fingers crossed it will last for a while..

treaclesoda Sun 11-Feb-18 21:01:34

No, not at all. Most of them are lovely.

Just like most six year olds are lovely but some are really difficult.

TheHobbitMum Sun 11-Feb-18 21:01:49

Absolutely not! You don't get posts asking advice on lovely teenagers so you don't hear of them so much, all kids have their moments of course but not every teen is a horror smile

italiancortado Sun 11-Feb-18 21:02:24

No! My teens are really nice grin

UniversallyUnchallenged Sun 11-Feb-18 21:03:49

Secondary Teacher with three now grown up step daughters- lived through the teenage years x3.... brilliant times, great company, as lovely then as they are now.

mumofthemonsters808 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:04:43

Not atall, my teens lovely and so are her friends. I also work with some great teenagers.

reallybadidea Sun 11-Feb-18 21:05:02

I have 4. They are all delightful 75-99% of the time, honestly.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-Feb-18 21:05:16

No, they can have horrible moments and can be unreasonable at times.

I have two. One at Uni who I miss being around and a 16 year old who is quite amenable and happy to come out with me for a pub meal or shopping.

I tend to find that teenagers get a bad press on MN. They are all out drinking, taking drugs, having loads of sex and mugging people apparently. And if you say yours don't do that you get told they do but you just don't know it. grin

mumgointhroughtorture Sun 11-Feb-18 21:05:36

My nearly 14 year old is becoming a bit lazy but he has a heart of gold. Seeing him with his little cousin melts my heart , he adores him . Family orientated through and through . I think it is the friends they mix with . Even the nicest teen can turn into a little shit with the wrong company.

LinoleumBlownapart Sun 11-Feb-18 21:06:39

No of course not. I saw a funny sketch about teens recently that said a little bit of loveliness falls off your child every day until you're left with a teenager, it's funny and most teen parents just banter about it rather than really mean it. My teen is fab I love the spots off him grin

Snowydaysarehere Sun 11-Feb-18 21:07:17

Not a boast but ds has got to 23 without ever being told off.!!.
Other dc had his share though!! grin

Ivebeenaroundtheblock Sun 11-Feb-18 21:08:57

the thing is they have their moments. at times you see the diamond in the rough. at times your question what kind of hellish parallel universe you are in.
i was okay 1-1 with them but occasionally i had 3 against 1 (me) and it was tough.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-Feb-18 21:09:37

Mine both sleep for England too, DS2 was still asleep at midday today. I think that's only fair after the years of 5am starts when they were little.

Isadora2007 Sun 11-Feb-18 21:09:55

No- not any more than all toddlers are brats!

IWillSurviveHeyHey Sun 11-Feb-18 21:10:25

Teenagers are wonderful beings of wonder

Stillnotready Sun 11-Feb-18 21:10:55

No, mine were funny, interested in the world, passionate, scared at times and a bit tearful, but never horrible.
And also, never stop hugging them even if they looking over your head. Teenagers are a bit like toddlers, living through an energy zapping growth spurt, making sense of an alien seeming world, but also keenly in need of reassurance and rules.

junebirthdaygirl Sun 11-Feb-18 21:10:59

They are great fun ..very entertaining. You can have great chats and they keep you young. I love all their friends as they create a great buzz around the place.
They introduce you to movies you would never watch and music you would never listen to. My 3 are grown now in their 20s and l did have a few hair raising experiences with my first but overall they were brilliant.

MrsEricBana Sun 11-Feb-18 21:11:38

Definitely not. One of my dc was v tricky from 2 to 14 and has been an angel ever since. The other one lovely all along with a few teenage moments. I really enjoy their company as teens. Don't worry!

MMcanny Sun 11-Feb-18 21:11:42

My 14 year old ds is a real sweetheart. So helpful and sensible. Can’t imagine him changing much tbh. I think you get out what you put in. But i’m Willing to review this stance in 5 yrs. grin

Gekkoforprimeminister Sun 11-Feb-18 21:11:59

Ah I feel much better now, thanks!
Am looking forward to all the sleeping anyway... Still on 5.45am starts here grin

ljlkk Sun 11-Feb-18 21:12:12

Bizarre creatures. Drive you nuts with irrational thinking & then make you laugh with charm then go all cuddley then eat half the house out then pick stupidest fight with siblings then just when you want to throttle & eject they make you laugh again.

feelingdizzy Sun 11-Feb-18 21:12:31

Mine are mostly great,kind and funny , also messy and obstinate. Bit like their mother thengrin

LizzieVereker Sun 11-Feb-18 21:13:06

No - svecondsry school teacher and parent of 2 here - the vast majority of teens are absolutely lovely. You only hear about the tricky ones, that's all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: