Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

🐌 Fantastic Skincare: Happy Snail Year, Bring Spoons!

(998 Posts)
botemp Thu 04-Jan-18 13:34:45

Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3 Thread 4 Thread 5 Thread 6 Thread 7 Thread 8 Thread 9 Thread 10

I am very slowly working on consolidating the gathered information from previous threads into easier to read formats but it’s slow going. In order to make use of the below form and join in I would suggest reading thread 1 and at the very least the following info sheets (provided they apply to you):

Where to Start

Basics of an Actives Routine

Skin Types vs. Skin Conditions Info Sheet

Anti-Ageing Info sheet

Adult Acne Info Sheet

NEWish since previous threads:

Understanding Which Sunscreen(s) to Buy

Do I Really Need to Wear Sunscreen Every Single Day of the Year?

A Damaged Skin Barrier - Now What?

For those who are taking a peek and wondering what this all about, we mostly discuss a bit of advanced skincare here with a perspective of seeking out the right ingredients (rather than the latest new shiny product and all its empty promises) for our particular skin needs. Distinguishing the acid toners from the actives whilst avoiding the truly unimpressive and harmful ingredients with a hope to achieve a bit of anti-ageing, alleviate irritation and sensitivities with some idle chat in between. Newcomers are always welcome but please note the following:

Questions and asking for help on this thread is encouraged, however, we can’t give you a specific routine to follow and hope it works out for the best. There are no overnight miracles in skincare whether it be in the form of products or techniques. It’s about perseverance, understanding your skin, assessing its needs and responding to that in a diligent manner.

These threads were created to help those who want to learn for themselves. We’re a group of interested and invested skincare nuts happy to offer tea and sympathy and dole out advice. Everyone’s journey with skincare is different, what is universal and binds us is that through actually learning about the different active ingredients it helps us get to know our skin and help us adapt as it will change many times throughout our lives - with seasons, hormonal changes, ageing, genetics etc. It's in everyone's best interests to get to know their skin and to keep reviewing those changes with the confidence that comes from the gathered knowledge here. We really encourage you to spend the time reading through previous threads and linked info sheets that the many contributors have taken the trouble to share.

By no means are we experts, we're only a bunch of amateurs that can only respond by suggesting what we would do in your place, for any severe conditions please seek out professional help.

Ahem, and finally a little note on spending. I'm well aware these threads cause many to reach for their wallets and spend with wild abandon. There can sometimes be a bit of a frenzy surrounding the excitement around a newly discovered product or on the back of great improvements when someone reports back. This is all great, it doesn't however, mean everything that's a sudden miracle for one will be it for you. Usually, it's a light bulb moment for connecting the right skincare ingredient with an individual experiencing a specific problem. Take your time to mull over decisions and question whether it's right for you too. Skincare is highly individual, it's a slow game that should cost mostly in patience, input, education, and perseverance. Please don't make it cost you financially needlessly.

JANUARY 2018: Thread 11! shock we're getting old. A recap of The Snailies categories for those still meaning to get round to them:

🐌🐌 THE SNAILIES 2017 🐌🐌

wink The Well Hello There - newest and latest find that gets your motor running

angry The Flusher- money spent on this product would have been better put to use by flushing it down the toilet

halo The Jack & Rose- the product you’ll never let go of because there’s plenty of fucking space for the two of you on that piece of wood. Damn you, James Cameron, for breaking my poor little tween heart.

biscuit The LTB- it all seemed so promising, everything was going so great, then they turned out to be a narcissist gaslighting bastard

envy The Child Prodigy- that one product that’s annoyingly good and isn’t afraid to be smug about it

smile The Worker Bee- never the centre of attention but has been steadily chugging along like no other

hmm The Troll- the one where you repeatedly asked, ‘Is this doing anything?’, but continued to use it anyway…

confused The Flabbergaster- that one product or technique that wasn’t really supposed to be used like that or delivered well beyond your non-existent expectations

blush The Sinner- oh, admit it because we’re all guilty of it, what did you do or use that wasn’t all that sensible like take an acid bath and had the disastrous results you really knew to expect

mintmagnummm Thu 04-Jan-18 13:51:49

Hi 👋🏻

AlexanderHamilton Thu 04-Jan-18 14:17:28

I really wish I'd found these threads before Christmas. I fear my husband has just made a very costly mistake as I've been using a new cream for 5 days and my skin feels tight and a little irritated. I'd asked for genefique serum as I'd used samples of that (I preferred the texture to the no 7 protect/perfect serum) I now know about hylaronic acid and matrixyl. My n 7 moisturiser that I'd used for two years had run out. Not overly convinced it did much, I think it was only when I used the serum I felt a difference.

This is what I got and it was EXPENSIVE

AQUA / WATER • GLYCERIN • HYDROGENATED POLYISOBUTENE • CYCLOHEXASILOXANE • DIMETHICONE • PTFE • CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE • MICA SODIUM POLYACRYLATE • HYDROXYETHYLPIPERAZINE ETHANE SULFONIC ACID • PHENOXYETHANOL • FAEX EXTRACT / YEAST EXTRACT • ADENOSINE • BIFIDA FERMENT LYSATE • PEG-1 DIMETHICONE • ETHYLPARABEN • CHLORPHENESIN • SALICYLOYL PHYTOSPHINGOSINE • DIMETHICONE/PEG-1/15 CROSSPOLYMER • DIMETHICONE/POLYGLYCERIN-3 CROSSPOLYMER • LIMONENE • LINALOOL • PROPYLENE CARBONATE • ACRYLATES COPOLYMER • DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE • DISODIUM EDTA • METHYLPARABEN • CITRONELLOL • PARFUM / FRAGRANCE • SODIUM BENZOATE

I don't usually react to stuff.

In other news dd's LRP cleanser arrived today. Her flare up has subsided but I do notice she goes very red when she exercises (which is a lot)

AlexanderHamilton Thu 04-Jan-18 14:19:43

I'm half way through thread no 3 by the way and have read the first four info sheets but I'm back at work now so progress will be slower.

userallusedup Thu 04-Jan-18 15:59:07

Ooh shiny new thread 🐌🐌🐌 thank you Bo smile

Oh no Alexander it does sound like there’s something in there that your skin doesn’t like sad I’m not enough of an expert to know what that might be looking at the ingredients. I think most of the big department stores will exchange or refund in the case of irritation or reaction, though I have a feeling they might want visible evidence which could be difficult if you don’t have a rash or a breakout.

Just doing my Snailies now.

LegoCaltrops Thu 04-Jan-18 16:24:37

Hello (I need spoons - I have this horrid flu-ish thing in addition to my usual issues. But I am making a big effort to get back to normal with my skincare, as having rubbish skin sends my self esteem down to the floor.) I'm mostly just marking my place. Thanks for the shiny new thread!

AlexanderHamilton Thu 04-Jan-18 16:29:02

I've got a spot I didn't have before but I've gone completely make up/product free for two days.

It could be the serum as I've also been using my sample up every day alongside the moisturiser but I've used the serum before (albeit sporadically).

JDSTER Thu 04-Jan-18 16:31:45

Patiently awaiting users snailies (same skin type)
Tsmummuy just looking back at yours and you didn’t mention LRP toleriane moisturiser (US one) but obviously liking Dr Jart one.

userallusedup Thu 04-Jan-18 16:37:57

🐌🐌 THE SNAILIES 2017 🐌🐌

The Well Hello There - FAB ultra repair moisturiser and FAB cleanser - added them fairly recently and really like them both, no reactions, don’t make me greasy and are lovely and mild and non-irritating, nice and soothing for winter skin.
Also bioderma shower oil has completely got rid of the dry, itchy skin I get at this time of year, and it’s not one of those awful slippy slidey type oils that leave your skin tacky and send you skidding all over the shower.

The Flusher pretty much everything by TO sadly given how much I loved it this time last year, I think that was very much a case of Emperor’s New Clothes syndrome.

The Jack & Rose Deciem Hylamide Hyaluronic Acid serum. I’ve used this for years now and it actually works - I can tell the difference in my skin when I don’t use it. Unfortunately it was my gateway drug into Deciem, TO etc but nothing else has ever come anywhere close to this.
Also Alpha h eye gel which I’ve used for years on and off and keep coming back to as just can’t find anything that works as well with no irritation.

The LTB TO Vit c 30% - seemed fine at first but a few weeks in my face got tight and very itchy and I narrowed the culprit down to being this. Also TO ret 1% which again seemed fine at first but after a few weeks started to make my face peel so badly I thought it was going to fall off.

The Child Prodigy Deciem Hand Chemistry Hyaluronic Acid body mist. I love this stuff so much but really have to ration it as it really does not go far, I’m lucky to get a month out of it if I use daily and it isn’t cheap.

The Worker Bee. LRP thermal water spray. Think this has really made a difference to keeping winter dryness at bay. I’ve got a Vichy one in reserve to try but LRP has been doing a great job so far.
Also Eucerin shampoo and scalp tonic, not exactly exciting but work wonders for my dry, itchy, reactive scalp.

The Troll sorry but yet again I’d have to say pretty much all TO stuff that I’ve already mentioned above.

The Flabbergaster Eucerin 5% urea face moisturiser. I originally got it as a neck and chest cream as thought it would be way too greasy for my face but it’s actually lovely and light, absorbs quickly and works well under makeup, I’m really impressed and it’s become a staple now.
Deciem Hand Chemistry Hand Repair also deserves an honourable mention as it’s the first hand cream I’ve ever used that gives really noticeable results and I was shocked how fast it worked.

The Sinner kept going with TO ret 1% longer than I should have done in spite of the horrendous peeling. Also trying differin gel but thankfully my skin has tolerated that well (minimal peeling) though I’m still unconvinced it’s doing much.

JDSTER Thu 04-Jan-18 16:56:01

I didn’t have to be patient for long usergrin. Any thought on which retinoid you might try next, if still no results from differin?

LegoCaltrops Thu 04-Jan-18 17:00:59

You asked on the previous thread, Bo - I'm still using the TO Vit C 23%. It's not as stingy as it used to be- perhaps that means it's started to go off a bit? It doesn't smell funny or anything though. I mainly wanted to find a different vit C option because, it does sting a little bit sometimes. I'm quite allergy-prone (hayfever, a couple of minor food things that can bring me out in skin rashes, etc). Whenever these play up, or I have a cold, my skin does get very physically sensitive with dry, almost scaly patches (although much better since I started following these threads!) I've experimented in the past with using richer moisturister on the dry patches - specifically eucerin - but it didn't help. Just felt greasy as well as dry & irritated.

I suspect I'm going to lose my job soon, as I'm still off from work. Ho hum. DH has kindly said he'll pay for some skincare things for me, as he knows how much of a battle I've had with my skin over the years.

userallusedup Thu 04-Jan-18 18:44:31

JDSTER I’ve no idea with retinoids, I still have a TO one with squalane unopened but given my lack of success with TO products (and the bad reaction I had to their ret 1%) I’m a bit wary of it. In all honesty unless I go to a derm and get something prescribed I think I’ll probably give up on them as the OTC ones don’t really seem to do anything at all for me. I’m going to look into local dermatologists but I’m also thinking about Botox and fillers so want to do plenty of research and ideally get some word of mouth recommendations before I decide what I want to do. Am also trying to decide if I’m brave enough for eyebrow microblading....shock

Lego I like the Vichy Vit C, I’ve not been using it very long and was a bit intermittent with it during December but it’s a good consistency (watery serum), not irritating and doesn’t make me itch like TO Vit c did.
Sorry to hear about your job flowers

Skinfulnappies46 Thu 04-Jan-18 19:37:16

Great new thread! Xx

EnidButton Thu 04-Jan-18 20:44:57

Just checking in. Still really ill after visiting very chatty family a few days ago. Can't do any thinking.

But can say I'm quietly impressed with the 5% urea face cream so far. Only been 3 days I think. Zero problems with it. Feels more nourishing than the toleriane. Possibly reducing under skin teeny bumps but too early to say properly yet. Need to start eating properly again. No wheat.

ohgoonthenjustonemore Thu 04-Jan-18 20:51:58

Thanks bo for the fabulous new thread !!

ElspethFlashman Thu 04-Jan-18 20:54:46

Marking place. I was on a previous thread and dropped off.

My LTBs, I have two and am gutted about both as I am obsessed with high SPF products and get so excited when I find a new one:

Eucerin SPF 25 moisturiser - leaves that stiff tight feeling on the skin after application. Uncomfortable. Whyyyyyy? It's Eucerin for gods sake!

And LRP Cicaplast SPF 50. I loooooove Cicaplast. The bauuuume is the bomb.com (see what I did there??) But this stuff is just straight up sunscreen and white as hell. I wanted the BAUUUMINESS goddammit!

vaz119 Thu 04-Jan-18 21:11:28

Thanks for the new thread Bo! Long time lurker/very occasional poster.😶

Will need to sit at the proper computer to do my snailies for the year (too complicated to do on my phone)

Can't thank you all enough for all your help with my skin care questions during the year.. Feel like I've really nailed down a routine I'm happy with and my reactive (eczema) sensitive skin has been happier and calmer than ever.

A quick question...

I have used REN (now called) evercalm cleansing milk for years (second cleaner and morning cleanser) and its always a repurchase with backup. I really like it but it's becoming more and more expensive. Now £17 for 150ml (although I usually buy it for about £14 on offer) it last me about a month with twice daily use.

I'm looking to try something I can purchase slightly cheaper to try.

My skin gets on well with eucerin products and I've used loads of LRP with no probs. I never seem to have much luck with Avene.

I'm considering 3 cleansers and would value your opinions this eucerin one or the LRP original demo Cleanser or the new LRP hydrating Cleanser I've heard a few people mention. I'm happy to order from easypharmacie but I'm not 100% sure which is the correct one as there is a few different ones?

All input much appreciated x

mintmagnummm Thu 04-Jan-18 21:22:34

Enid I'm quietly happy with that eucerin 5% cream too :-). Can I ask if you have been diagnosed as intolerant to wheat or you just choose to avoid? What would you have for lunch instead of a normal bread sandwich??

JDSTER Thu 04-Jan-18 21:46:44

user please let us know how you get on with dermatologist, if you go down that route.
vaz I’d definitely recommend the LRP hydrating cleanser. It’s a nicer texture that the toleriane. I’ve checked on easypharmacie and cross referenced the ingredients with the one I have - this is the one (I haven’t tried eucerin one) www.easyparapharmacie.co.uk/la-roche-posay-toleriane-soin-lavant-peaux-sensibles-400ml.html
enid hope you improve soon.

SchadenfreudePersonified Thu 04-Jan-18 21:48:54

I have fallen into a thread of heaven. . . .

vaz119 Thu 04-Jan-18 21:52:53

Thanks JDSTER. I wasn't sure if it was that one or the cleansing milk one. Ive tried to include a screenshot of the eucerin cleansing milk ingredients if it helps

EnidButton Thu 04-Jan-18 22:36:44

I wanted the BAUUUMINESS goddammit grin

Mint not diagnosed no. Just noticed that when I cut it out my pelvic pain and severe bloating stopped. For example, after eating proper bread the other day my lower stomach went rock hard and I was doubled over with cramps for hours. Not worth it. As a bonus I don't get spots when I avoid wheat. I like schar gluten free brown rolls as a bread replacement but tbh I never ate it that much anyway. It's not that hard once you start, if you see instant results as I did. I wouldn't bother if I didn't and my health is so awful and confusing, that any tiny improvement is worth it to me.

That said I ate All The Things over Christmas. Zero regrets. grin

botemp Thu 04-Jan-18 22:43:45

Alexander, I'm not one to start screeching 'Chemicals! Toxic' all that quickly but this has to be the first time I've seen PTFE as a skincare ingredient. It's what they use to make Teflon coatings with confused. It also contains HEPES (hydroxyethylpiperazine ethane sulfonic acid) which is not considered a desirable ingredient in skincare as it's speculated to promote free radical damage (the very thing that causes ageing and compromises skin integrity and why we use Vitamin C and SPF). All ingredients of interest are after phenoxyethanol (which can only legally be used in concentrations of up to 1% of the formula) so all present in concentrations less than 1%. So in short, potentially good ingredients present in ineffective amounts, horrible scary sounding ingredients in abundance. I wouldn't even know what is potentially the triggering ingredient, it's far too many to consider.

Some retailers will offer a replacement product or your money back if you have a bad reaction, no evidence needed really beyond a sob story, but it's solely at their discretion and dependant on the person who helps you.

Lego, I'm currently using the Vichy Liftactiv Vit C too. It's also L-AA based like the Vit C 23%, that's why I asked. I think if you get it on the cheap (I paid 20 euros) it's a reasonably good deal. It's only 10ml but my SC 15ml (same consistency) lasted 5 months, first 2.5 months daily, then every other day, so realistically 3 months and a bit. If you'd been using a Vit C derivative from TO, then the Medik8 makes for a good alternative for L-AA the jury is out as it was very sensitising for Pupsie and JDSTER hasn't started on it yet.

user, botox only relaxes a muscle so it's effective for very deep (usually expression) lines, or preventing them from ever forming (but again mostly expression lines). Fillers fill up any lost volume, but neither really do anything long term as collagen will still deteriorate at the same rate and that ages more noticeably than line. This is where tret comes in (and differin doesn't but I gather getting hold of prescription tretinoin is quite difficult in the UK, you need an Obagi medical derm or one that imports it from Germany themselves) as that actively encourage collagen production. I think laser is an alternative to look at, it's what I'd be looking at over botox and fillers, the technology is coming on heaps as well, but a good technician is key. Will also help with fine lines, skin texture, and pigmentation.

vaz INCI wise the Eucerin looks fine, it also has decyl glucoside like the Avene cleanser which is supposedly good for keeping pores clean. I do like the new LRP hydrating cleanser but I don't know how well it would suit dry/eczematic skin. It doesn't leave you with a strippy feel as it replenishes with hydrating ingredients but it does a deeper cleanse and it feels like it strips everything out at that, needing the replenishing ingredients to compensate. A milk formula, like the Eucerin or LRP Toleriane Dermo is maybe a better fit for dry skin in that sense.

AlexanderHamilton Thu 04-Jan-18 22:53:21

Botemp its Lancome moisturiser costing over £60 which is way beyond what I'd normally pay. Dh bought it because he knows I like their perfume & cosmetics. I'm going to have to tell him arn't I.

I do like the serum which sinks in better than boots but I guess it's the hylaurinic acid in that. I don't think there's anything much worthwhile in this is there.

I'm no longer sire after two days of no cosmetics or make up at all but the spotvis big & red.

userallusedup Thu 04-Jan-18 23:24:43

Bo laser is something I’m considering too, I think we spoke about it on here before. I’d like to find both a good derm and a technician to have an initial consultation and get some unbiased advice without a hard sell. I’m near Manchester (on the Cheshire side so prime WAG and soapstar territory!) so although I don’t have the choice that someone in London will do there should be some reputable options locally, it’s just knowing where to start.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: