Talk

Advanced search

Corn Silk powder - suddenly tripled in price!

(46 Posts)
poochiepants Fri 16-Dec-16 10:34:01

I been using Corn Silk loose powder for years, love it, bought some in July for about £7, go to buy more today and it's gone up to £20!!! Anyone else use it and having trouble buying it at a sensible price??

clairethewitch70 Fri 16-Dec-16 10:35:04

I love corn silk but can't even find it in a shop near me. Where do you usually buy it?

DorcasthePuffin Fri 16-Dec-16 10:38:02

Crikey, you're right - I've just had a look on ebay and it's nearly £20. I bought some last year for a fiver!

I have absolutely no idea why. Brexit? Shortage of almond shells or whatever it's made of? Sudden resurgence in popularity? Cornsilk hates us?

poochiepants Fri 16-Dec-16 10:38:13

I got it from Amazon last time, £6.70, went to re-order and its £19.99! Need to write a harsh letter to the manufacturer......hmm

woowoowoo Fri 16-Dec-16 10:40:56

Oh no!!!! I used to buy in in Boots but they stopped selling it. I was delighted to find it on Amazon for half price.

Just been on Amazon now and it's gone up to £19.99!!!!! Someone has asked why the price has gone up and someone replied that it has been discontinued!!!!!!

www.amazon.co.uk/Cornsilk-Satin-Loose-Powder-12g/dp/B001AV5WOC

If this is the case, what are we going to do?

I have the oiliest skin ever and Corn Silk has been the only thing keeping my face shine free for decades. No other powder comes close.

Seriously, does anyone know of an alternative oil absorbing face powder? Recommendations?

We do not need this bad news just before Xmas!!!

poochiepants Fri 16-Dec-16 10:41:33

We need the Daily Mail to investigate......envy

poochiepants Fri 16-Dec-16 10:42:35

Am the same, woo. Watching closely for alternative suggestions....

Sunnyfeet Fri 16-Dec-16 10:46:36

I've also been using this for years, nothing else compared - but every now and again it's supposedly "discontinued", it becomes hard to find and the price shoots up.

I've just paid £19.99 on Amazon, out of sheer desperation.

Can anyone suggest a credible alternative?

woowoowoo Fri 16-Dec-16 10:47:05

Just seen this in the Amazon review section. It has been discontinued! We need to email them!

8 of 8 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars THIS HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED! :-(, 21 Aug. 2016
By Amazon Customer
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Cornsilk Satin Loose Powder 12g (Personal Care)
I discovered this week that this powder that I have used for over 20 years has been DISCONTINUED!!! There is nothing I've found that is as good and works on every skin tone. I phoned Chattem UK Ltd who make it to ask why and was told it is for commercial reasons with no plans for a replacement. It is so popular I don't understand this. Update 12/09/16: After some google searching I have since found out that Coty owned Corn Silk most recently. After my friend emailed them she had a response that it was discontinued but would forward her comments to their marketing department that are responsible for discontinuing products. The Coty email address is: philippa_vant@cotyinc.com

PissedOffWithNeighbour Fri 16-Dec-16 10:48:15

Nooooooooooooo shock

I just rediscovered Corn Silk and it is amazingly. Nothing else comes close.

DorcasthePuffin Fri 16-Dec-16 10:49:48

I hope the Daily Mail is reading this, they're going to have to do a shiny sad face feature.

mowglik Fri 16-Dec-16 10:51:54

Oh no I use this too! I do have an alternative though it's a bit drying compared to cornsilk. Still very mattifying for those of you with oily skin - innisfree no sebum mineral powder, usually around £5 on eBay. Comes in a tiny pot compared to corn silk though. I shall cherish the little I have left sad

Sunnyfeet Fri 16-Dec-16 10:52:13

It's not just the oil absorbing properties, but the lightness of the powder. It never looks caked on.

ANY ALTERNATIVES??

woowoowoo Fri 16-Dec-16 10:53:11

Someone on Amazon prefers this to Corn Silk.

Any thoughts?

www.amazon.co.uk/COTY-Airspun-Loose-Face-Powder/dp/B000BNG4VU/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1481885402&sr=8-1&keywords=coty+airspun+loose+powder

poochiepants Fri 16-Dec-16 10:53:39

Wow, I wasn't sure there'd be anyone interested in my little gripe, maybe if we get enough support they'll reconsider.....

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 16-Dec-16 10:54:22

Lily Lolo?

woowoowoo Fri 16-Dec-16 10:58:50

Thanks, Dame. I have found that on Amazon. Do you use it yourself? What do you think of it?

www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0033RCPMS/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

poochiepants Fri 16-Dec-16 11:01:53

Email sent. Will report back.....

Sunnyfeet Fri 16-Dec-16 11:02:00

I was hoping for a high street alternative - even if it's one of the more expensive brands?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 16-Dec-16 11:02:43

Yes I love it, never looks cakey and has tons of shades. They do tester pots so you can try before committing. If you email them and tell them what shade foundation you use they are great at suggesting shades.

poochiepants Fri 16-Dec-16 11:03:31

I have mixed a heavier loose powder with Cuticura talc before now, might have to go back to that teenage fix....

woowoowoo Fri 16-Dec-16 11:04:37

Another reviewer on Amazon says they prefer Rimmel Stay Matte powder to Cornsilk. It is £3.99 at Boots. Might give this a whirl for the price.

www.boots.com/en/Rimmel-Stay-Matte-Pressed-Powder_1015573/

Thanks Dame. I have not heard of this brand before so I will check it out.

Sunnyfeet Fri 16-Dec-16 11:06:13

The lily lilo finishing powder appears to be white - do they do any light skin tone colours?

Sunnyfeet Fri 16-Dec-16 11:11:07

I never find pressed powder performs as well as loose powder.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 16-Dec-16 11:13:06

LL do loads of colours, it can be used as a foundation or a finishing powder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now