Talk

Advanced search

Fat Face - why? Such a horrible name.

(50 Posts)
FunBagFreddie Fri 07-Dec-12 08:10:52

I refuse to wear any brand of clothing that features the word 'fat'. I can't understand why anyone else would either. It's a horrible name.

Startail Fri 07-Dec-12 08:16:30

It's vile
It's the sort of taunt my sister would have got at school.

I confess that, having searched everywhere else, DD2 does have a gilet and a top from there and they are much better quality than most new 11yo's clothes.

FunBagFreddie Fri 07-Dec-12 08:30:06

I've nothing against other people who want to shop there. I just think the name is so nasty that it really puts me off!

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Fri 07-Dec-12 08:35:10

hmm

It's a skiing term referring to a particular slope on the mountain.

Nothing to do with people.

Fat is not a pejorative word.

Themumsnotroastingonanopenfire Fri 07-Dec-12 08:42:32

It's a surfing term, a type of wave. Fat Face was originally a surfy brand until it diverted into the middle-aged mum market.

Startail Fri 07-Dec-12 08:46:22

As I say it puts me off too.
It would never be the first place I looked and I wouldn't wear a goodie or T shirt with that in big letters.
I do have obviously branded stuff from another outdoor brand.

Skiing given they don't sell ski wear is a slightly feeble excuse for the stupid name.

dexter73 Fri 07-Dec-12 08:55:16

It's named after a ski slope in the Alps where they first started selling t-shirts to fund their skiing. They didn't set up as a ski wear company.

FunBagFreddie Fri 07-Dec-12 09:00:00

Fair enough, but I'm not a surfer or into skiing, so I'm not going to go for that look anyway.

Spons Fri 07-Dec-12 09:02:20

Really?! I've got loads from there and never ever given the name a thought? Also, they don't tend to put their logo massively on everything so think you should be ok..

germyrabbit Fri 07-Dec-12 09:03:31

rofl at the name putting people off! obviously you aren't hip to shop there grin

MistyB Fri 07-Dec-12 09:06:39

I'll see your Fat Face and raise you Sweaty Betty!!

MardyBra Fri 07-Dec-12 09:07:16

Yes because fat people are disgusting and should be wiped off the planet shouldn't they.

Massive hmm

FunBagFreddie Fri 07-Dec-12 09:08:05

grin Nope, not hip to shop there at all.

FunBagFreddie Fri 07-Dec-12 09:10:20

Hmm, I was bullied relentlessly at school for being the fat kid - so no, the word fat isn't really doing it for me these days. hmm

Lol @ Sweaty Betty. grin

Kikithecat Fri 07-Dec-12 09:11:18

Agree, I have never set foot in Fat Face or Sweatty Betty just because of the awful names! Glad to hear Fat Face is actually a ski slope/wavy thing though.

germyrabbit Fri 07-Dec-12 09:14:05

from wiki so highly reliable wink
The name 'Fat Face' was inspired by Le Face, an Olympic black run in Val d'Isère.

DameFannyGallopsBEHINDyou Fri 07-Dec-12 09:14:10

Why did you pick your name though OP? Cos 'funbag' makes me cringe ever time I see it , memories of a particularly crass ex

MardyBra Fri 07-Dec-12 09:15:43

So if you were bullied for bring overweight, can you not see the irony in posting that the word 'fat' is 'horrible'.

germyrabbit Fri 07-Dec-12 09:16:10

and here it is <bored this morning> grin

FivesGoldNorks Fri 07-Dec-12 09:19:00

I have never liked the name either

DearJ0hn Fri 07-Dec-12 09:22:55

'funbag' makes me think more 'fat' than fat face.

langho Fri 07-Dec-12 09:28:54

I've been buying from Fat Face since the mid/late 90's and have (still) some fab t shirts from there.
Last few years it has been hit and miss clothing wise and looking rather frumpy at times but the name has never been an issue.

(I have fat tyres on one of my mountain bikes but never thought to get upset over them either!)

FunBagFreddie Fri 07-Dec-12 09:34:24

Why did you pick your name though OP? Cos 'funbag' makes me cringe ever time I see it , memories of a particularly crass ex

I was just asking for a bit of a ripping by starting this thread really. I chose the name because I'm likely to say things that are a bit tittish at times - such as not liking the name Fat Face. Would you lie me to change it for you so your don't have to cringe? Grin grin

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Fri 07-Dec-12 09:39:43

Re Sweaty Betty - what's wrong with sweating? Does it not just show you are doing enough exercise to protect against future health problems?

[also bored this morning]

FunBagFreddie Fri 07-Dec-12 09:41:53

Sweating might not be good if you also have poor personal hygiene.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now