Talk

Advanced search

Hold ups? Is there a trick?

(24 Posts)
Geordieminx Wed 14-Sep-11 20:31:18

is there a trick to getting them to stay "held-up"?

Hate hate wearing tights but seem to spend all day hoiking hold ups up, which is not attractive.

Are any brands better than others?

cerealqueen Wed 14-Sep-11 20:34:32

Don't use any moisturiser on your legs at all, including using moisturising shower gel, as they will just slide down!

MissBeehiving Wed 14-Sep-11 20:34:40

Clammy thighs? grin

GwennieF Wed 14-Sep-11 20:34:45

Make sure you do not moisturise your legs - they won't stick if you do. If you forget and moisturise as normal, just give that part of your leg a wipe with a damp flannel - Tada hold ups stay up!

Geordieminx Wed 14-Sep-11 20:36:22

Never moisturise blush

DuchessofCambridge Wed 14-Sep-11 20:36:44

the answer, for me at least, has always been Wolford. Never enjoyed wearing any others. Wolford are expensive but last, you dont know you're even wearing them and I have never felt the dread of them slipping down in an inconvenient location.

Geordieminx Wed 14-Sep-11 20:41:33

Just checked JL for Wolford..... 22 Frikking £ a pair?????? Jeeeeez.

No chance!!!!

GwennieF Wed 14-Sep-11 20:45:49

I use the Asda ones or occasionally Boots.....

Do you use fabric conditioner? Might that make a difference?

Fisharefriendsnotfood Wed 14-Sep-11 20:47:10

I use primark and never have a problem. Are you def buying hold ups and not stockings? Not calling you stupid but I've done that before grin

Geordieminx Wed 14-Sep-11 20:47:11

No, no fabric softener either, usually only get one wear out of them before I chuck them blush

northernruth Wed 14-Sep-11 20:47:42

I use M&S. I get a size smaller than normal (I need large tights due to being tall rather than wide but I get medium hold ups)

I do have ample thighs tho and that helps............

peeriebear Wed 14-Sep-11 20:48:09

I use Asda ones and pull them up as far as humanly possible.

northernruth Wed 14-Sep-11 20:51:48

Peerie I keep trying but I can't seem to get them up higher than my neck

DitaVonCheese Wed 14-Sep-11 20:55:17

I was going to suggest buying a size larger than normal!

DuchessofCambridge Wed 14-Sep-11 20:58:56

i know that the cost is pretty awful. but they do last and they work. i have had such awful experiences with the cheap ones. plus they do some gorgeous designs.
<disclaimer - i dont work for Wolford.......>

jennifersofia Wed 14-Sep-11 21:52:00

I think the main trick is being under 23 and thin-thighed! (That is why they never worked for me...)

TattyDevine Wed 14-Sep-11 21:57:39

You know what you could try is the "suspender tights" - not a suspender belt but these

I wear them when I'm wearing some shapewear under a killer dress to give a smooth line. The trouble with my chosen shapewear is that it has a slightly smooth shiny finish. Which means your tights then wont stay up. So I wear suspender tights - they dont go anywhere but are not as much faff as a suspender belt but more "secure" than hold ups!

zumm Wed 14-Sep-11 22:05:40

Hi, Weeeell, Wolford's don't hold up - on me, at least. Have had to go back to tights. Try stockings if you really hate tights?

MyMaisyMouse Wed 14-Sep-11 22:11:33

Can you try suspenders rather than hold ups?
I use suspenders because tights don't do me any good, I have no problems with suspenders and no one can see them, plus no hoiking.

northernruth Wed 14-Sep-11 22:35:24

I wear hold ups so as not to get a line under a tight ish dress, so suspenders wouldn't work for me. I think it's all about getting apair that work with your legs - the fit will vary

motheroftwoboys Thu 15-Sep-11 12:48:20

I love hold ups and usually wear John Lewis ones - they never come down on me. They are £5.25 a pair in various deniers/finishes.

Catslikehats Thu 15-Sep-11 12:52:16

I wear M&S or sainsburys. I do find that giving the bands a good rinse after washing to get rid of any reside really helps. Rub them together until they squeak seems to be the trick.

StonkinplonkinVonHoofinMoofin Thu 15-Sep-11 12:53:06

Try making the 'sticky' band part wet (just dampen rather than drench!) and this will make the tops stick to your legs. This has always worked for me...

Nippysnippy Thu 15-Sep-11 14:50:18

I think you have to wear them as far up your leg as you can without the bulge above. In my experience as soon as you have to stretch the band it just flips over and travels so I wear mine much further down the leg. Personally I prefer stockings with a suspender slip as that helps to eradicate the bumps you get from a suspender belt and it's more secure. I do like agood fishnet tight as an alternative as they feel less restrictive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now