Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Have you seen thread on AIBU?

(144 Posts)
Chundle Sun 31-Jul-11 21:05:51

about autistic lad in cinema ? Some people are so pissing intolerant it makes me sick and I don't even have an autistic child!

coff33pot Sun 31-Jul-11 21:09:21

Taking a look. Hope its not all bad as not got patience for muppets today grin

Chundle Sun 31-Jul-11 21:11:26

I'm having a rant on it don't worry smile

Reality Sun 31-Jul-11 21:14:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chundle Sun 31-Jul-11 21:16:18

BUT is it not wrong of the mother to at least not speak with the mother first rathe than going straight to the manager? Would she really have for the same if it were a whinging toddler?? I don't think so

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 31-Jul-11 21:21:49

I don't geddit really. I tut at all the nattering and sweet unwrapping when the trailers are on but when the film gets going I'm tuned into that and tbh, it is so farking loud I don't think I could hear other people unless I was REALLY listening or unless it was a boring arty fiml where you have to watch the colour red with no sound for 35 minutes, in which case, I'd probably start a popcorn fight myself!

coff33pot Sun 31-Jul-11 21:39:02

It's not intolerant. If a NT child was screaming and kicking in the cinema they would have to leave. The fact the child in question was autistic is neither here nor there.

I get your point but surely the fact that the child in question was autistic the mother would have been given a bit of compassion and lea way to at least have a chance to calm her son down.

And NT children who are messing about get a warning before kickout. At least that is what happens in my cinema hmm

Chundle Sun 31-Jul-11 21:47:39

I've never seen NT kids in my cinema even get a warning! I think it's so hard forsome mums to take their kids out never mind with siblings - they should be shown a bit of compassion

utah Sun 31-Jul-11 21:50:06

I am 50/50 on this one, I would not take my son(autism) to a movie that was new release and overly crowded. I would of removed him I have spent many a movie sat with my son outside the door while kids are watching the movie inside. Also the cost of the movie for others is huge. Yes I want people to be tolerant but people pay alot and this is valuable quality time together. I tend to take my children when it is quiet and pay for seats at the last minute so I can ask for seats away from others. I suppose I want to treat people with the same respect as I want them to treat myself and son.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 31-Jul-11 22:14:08

It's gone. Phew. It was getting very horrible indeed.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 31-Jul-11 22:14:11

Heart rate through the roof! But it's been deleted now.

coff33pot Sun 31-Jul-11 22:14:25

I am glad that horrible post was deleted

coff33pot Sun 31-Jul-11 22:15:05

My blood is bubbling in my ears to be honest.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 31-Jul-11 22:15:35

Yes, there was no warning, the mum wasn't even there, sounds like she'd taken her younger one to the toilet. No chance for her to even try to calm him.

coff33pot Sun 31-Jul-11 22:18:00

I got a feeling this was just a post to cause a row really. Just got my goat when they were actually starting to blame the mum for taking him there. Who knows what triggered it off. oohh real life stinks sometimes angry

5inthebed Sun 31-Jul-11 22:18:18

Yes, saw it and knew it wouldn't go down well.

DS2 manages fine at the cinema, but only once the curtains go up. If the curtain are down when we go in he has a meltdown, screams to leave and scrambles on the floor. Once the film on though, different child! If he were to continue with the meltdown though, I would remove him. Shame the family got kicked out, maybe their child would have calmed down once the film started?

coff33pot Sun 31-Jul-11 22:19:54

Yes my DS has been fine at cinema. I am just choosy in what we see and what will hold his attention. But I do not go into the doors till the film is about to start. He wouldnt cope with the waiting around at all.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 31-Jul-11 22:20:41

Well I don't think we should discuss it here tbh less we get an influx of migrants to our special place.

TBH I agree that generally MNHQ is lenient towards disablist threads but I do agree slightly with their point that to challenge viewpoints is educational. I suppose the problem though is that it is hurt people with very limited energy that are expected to do the educating, so I think they did the right thing.

nenevomito Sun 31-Jul-11 22:21:28

Yes. V glad its been deleted.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 31-Jul-11 22:21:29

People were saying that the cinema manager was right to remove him because they are there to make money, not give chances to children with SN. Do people not realise that the law insists on reasonable adjustments and it applies to private companies as well as public institutions? AAhhh!

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 31-Jul-11 22:22:11

Maybe I should let the blood pressure fall...

5inthebed Sun 31-Jul-11 22:23:24

Sorry Star, was just making conversaion, was not trying to debate its wrongs and rights

AnansiGirl Sun 31-Jul-11 22:29:22

Missed it, or I'd have been there with my tuppence-ha'penny.
With my new name and everything.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 31-Jul-11 22:30:16

Oh God, don't apologise. It's just that I knew THEM wouldn't leave the subject alone and I was worried they'd come over here.

Turns out they've started their own come back thread anyway so hopefully they'll stay away.

5inthebed Sun 31-Jul-11 22:32:22

Yep, saw that one as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now