Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone breastfed their child to sleep and they've self settled eventually without sleep training?

(30 Posts)
catsarenice Tue 07-Feb-17 19:49:18

DS is 8mths and I've always bf to sleep. He usually wakes up once in night for a feed. He usually stirs quite a lot, sometimes cries out but manages to get himself back to sleep. When I eventually stop breastfeeding (no plans just yet) will it be possible for him to self settle? I never really thought about the way he went to sleep but now I'm reading all this stuff about how babies shouldn't be fed to sleep past 6months and I'm starting to panic that we'll still have to bf to sleep when he's 10!! Does anyone have any examples of their dc sorting themselves out naturally without needing sleep training?

Orangedaisy Tue 07-Feb-17 19:50:17

Yes, at about 23 months....

user1484226561 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:51:17

yes of course, all children eventually self settle.

HeCantBeSerious Tue 07-Feb-17 19:52:37

Yes.

MrsAukerman Tue 07-Feb-17 19:53:45

Google "pantley pull off"

catsarenice Tue 07-Feb-17 19:53:53

That's reassuring - thank you. I didn't read anything when DD was little and we just sorted ourselves into a routine but she was ff. Everything seems so different with a bf baby and I think I've read too much 'advice' on the net!

ThisIsANormalLife Tue 07-Feb-17 19:55:33

Yes, at around 19 months. I wouldn't say I did 'sleep training', but dc was a bit miffed they weren't being fed and I sat with them until they fell asleep instead (an hour or so). After that night they settled to sleep beautifully and no longer woke in the night. It was the right time for us. When it's the right time for you, you'll know op, there is no 'right' way.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 07-Feb-17 19:56:40

Yes. Me. DD is 15 months and is moving towards this. Atm she goes down for me with anything between 5 and 50mins breastfeed, and about 1 in 3 nights she gets down and toddler over to her bed, and puts herself to bed. The other two she falls asleep feeding. When I am not available she either false asleep on DH or puts herself to bed in a similar ratio.
Techniques we are using to support this are:
Toddler bed, lovie and special teddy, water cup which she can access from bed, and telling her repeatedly from about 3pm which one of us is putting her to bed that night.
She does cry sometimes at DH but never more than a few minutes at a time and rarely with tears.

Loraline Tue 07-Feb-17 19:56:58

Ds1 did. He breastfed to sleep until he was 1. I switched to cows mum during the day and at night he wasn't feeding as much and I think my supply dropped a bit. In Amy case I stopped breastfeeding when he was just turned 1 and we started putting him down in his cot after his bedtime story and sippy cup of milk. He took a while to settle (about 45 minutes every night) and we had to stay in the room but he wasn't upset at all. He'd eventually nod off. He also started sleeping through the whole night once I stopped bf.

We'd tried all sorts to get him to fall asleep in his own and nothing worked. We weren't really willing to sleep train though.

I've no idea how we're going to do this with ds2 as they share a room.

ConfessorKahlan Tue 07-Feb-17 19:57:13

Yes, I had no problems with mine and I breast fed until about 9 months (teeth stopped me!).

Whoknowswhoknows Tue 07-Feb-17 19:57:35

Yes, with gentle encouragement (certainly no crying) my kids learned to settle from approx18 months to 2.5 years.

3pies Tue 07-Feb-17 19:57:50

Yes, at 19 months

LittleSausageFingers Tue 07-Feb-17 19:58:51

Yes, 11 months. My DH started putting her to bed instead of me, with the help of a dummy. I fed her before the bath, then disappeared and let him get on with it. Now, she goes to sleep perfectly for him, and at nursery, and settles well without a feed when she wakes at night. But I still need to feed her to sleep for naps when it's just the two of us... Mummy = milk, she ain't dumb!

airedailleurs Tue 07-Feb-17 19:59:17

yes at 22 months (felt like a liberation for me!)

Note3 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:01:00

Yes moved from BFing to sleep and Co sleeping to own bed with no feeding to sleep at 24 months. Probably could have done it a bit sooner but I did it when I'd reached my limit!

PuraVida Tue 07-Feb-17 20:01:04

Yes both of mine, eventually stopped falling asleep on the boob and went happily into cot and then asleep. I think around 9 or 10 months, certainly before I was back to work

kilmuir Tue 07-Feb-17 20:02:59

Yes all my 4.
Probably around 8/9 months

catsarenice Tue 07-Feb-17 20:03:06

Thank you all. Even the hv has been saying not to feed to sleep and I wonder if I'm being stupid to carry on but it feels right for us at the moment.

inkydinky Tue 07-Feb-17 20:04:42

Yes. At 18 months after self weaning and switching to cows milk first time around and 23 months (no self weaning, refused cows milk) second time. I did need to get their Dad involved though during the transition so that they weren't expecting a feed from me.

littledinaco Tue 07-Feb-17 20:06:27

Yes, I carried on feeding to sleep then DS started coming off the breast himself and 'messing about' so singing/wriggling/sitting up then lying back down etc before falling asleep. Tbh I preferred feeding to sleep than the messing about and falling to sleep himself!

He did still sometimes feed to sleep but if for whatever reason I didn't feed him to sleep I could tell him to go to sleep himself and he would no problem.

Carry on feeding to sleep, I am a great believer of doing whatever works at this moment in time so of feeding to sleep is working for you don't change it. His sleep sounds really good with just one wake up and at least you can get him back to sleep quickly,

ThisIsANormalLife Tue 07-Feb-17 20:07:38

The thing is 'don't feed to sleep' is slightly useless advice when you've been doing so for 8 months already - that horse has bolted! You are doing what you feel is right for you and your child and you are the person best placed to judge what 'right' is. That doesn't sound stupid to me!

Guitargirl Tue 07-Feb-17 20:08:48

It depends on your definition of 'eventually' I suppose - both of mine around the 20 month mark, at the same time as they self-weaned from bf altogether.

IamMoana Tue 07-Feb-17 20:09:01

Yes, stopped breast feeding to sleep age 2 years 2 weeks! I bought her a big girl Frozen cup with a straw to have her milk in, told her the boob was all gone & she was a big girl now. Stayed with her for 5 mins & left her - she went down absolutely fine. Been going off on her own ever since. I'd worried far more about it than I needed to, they are adaptable little things. Good luck smile

AllGone Tue 07-Feb-17 20:15:46

DS1 stopped feeding to sleep at 13 months with no problems.

DS2 I am currently battling with at nearly 18months. We have managed to stop the feeding back to sleep if he wakes in the night so hopefully we'll get there gradually.

Apfelbunny Tue 07-Feb-17 20:19:43

Yes...Sort of...With dc1 we stopped feeding to sleep when they decided they didn't want it anymore, from then it was cuddle to sleep, now at 3 we read stories and sit next to the bed waiting for them to fall into unconsciousness then escape the room... However at nap time the very same toddler with just put themselves to bed and sleep even if I leave the room while they're bouncing on the bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now