Mumsnet local posts in Active

(43 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

SecretSpy Wed 18-May-16 21:24:04

What's going on please? There's a couple of Local threads that keep appearing at the top of Active even though they've not recently been posted on.

It's annoying and it's got a giant green icon thing

AnyFucker Wed 18-May-16 21:27:21

Same here

I keep pressing "hide" and one keeps reappearing. I don't want to see it !...

SecretSpy Wed 18-May-16 21:50:14

Like this one. One post. Made two days ago. Rotating with a couple of other not very active threads. Why are they being treated like stickies?

AmyGMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-May-16 14:36:45

Hi there

As Local grows we thought it might be useful for people who are signed up to local sites to be able to see the most recent threads from their local talk board on 'active conversations'.

We're just in the process of trying it out at the moment, and feedback is very welcome so please do post with your thoughts flowers

whatsonyourplate Thu 19-May-16 14:46:05

I quite like seeing them on active as I don't often remember to visit the local board, it agree you don't need to keep seeing the same thread with no extra comments.

SecretSpy Thu 19-May-16 14:46:17

My thoughts are - it's annoying, sorry. I understand the intention, but it's been the same two or three threads rotating despite no new posts. Probably because they are very specific questions with a limited pool of people who could give a useful reply

AnyFucker Thu 19-May-16 18:48:04

Why won't it stay hidden when you press "hide" though ?

AuntieStella Fri 20-May-16 18:40:44

I want to hide it. I do hide it. It keeps coming back.

I don't mind them appearing from time to time. But I think they should vanish (and stay vanished) if you choose it - just like other threads stickied in Active.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Fri 20-May-16 18:43:21

Agree, I don't mindseeing them there but the green thing is annoying and if I hide thrm I want the to stay hidden.

ProfYaffle Fri 20-May-16 18:49:09

Oh thank God it's not just me! I've had such a palaver, some random place was set as my 'home' for reasons I don't understand. Now I get talk from the random place as well as where I actually live despite me having hidden both relevant Local Talk topics in customise.

I wouldn't mind too much the odd genuinely local topic cropping up but I can't bear the green pin and am properly irritated by the random location talk threads showing up.

I do think it's a really good idea to make Local posts more visible. Otherwise it's a vicious circle of "nobody posts so nobody reads so nobody posts so nobody reads". But when you've hidden them they should stay hidden.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-May-16 18:54:45

Hi everyone,

It looks like we may have a slight glitch here (re. threads not staying hidden) - we'll check things out with our Tech team and report back as soon as we can.

In the meantime, please keep your thoughts coming. smile

ShowOfHands Sat 21-May-16 08:58:25

I don't like it. The same 3 irrelevant threads which I'm not remotely interested in and I can't hide them.

Mrscog Sat 21-May-16 09:01:22

I really like it - brilliant feature, I will actually participate on the local boards now.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 21-May-16 09:07:12

I do check my local board occasionally but there is virtually never a thread that I have anything relevant to say on (I live in a very big county). I would like to be able to opt out of this please, the green pins are really annoying.

AuntieStella Wed 25-May-16 19:22:07

Could you ask Tech to have another fiddle, please?

After I hid the one I posted about, it finally decided to stay hidden (hurrah). Then today a different one appeared. Looked at it, no interest to me, hid it. Later today it reappeared, and now I have three threads behaving like the three heads of a hydra and springing back.

Now, I really don't mind them appearing and being stickied. But I would like them to be like other stickied threads, and not keep reappearing.

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 25-May-16 20:31:49

I find them intensely irritating, especially since I can't hide them.

ParakeetsInTheGarden Wed 25-May-16 21:22:37

I am a member of my local site, but also joined a couple of other nearby ones as I live vaguely near the border, although a lot of what is on these other sites won't be relevant to me. Mumsnet knows which one is my 'home' site, but I'm getting threads from all three appearing in Active over and over even when I hide them . If you can fix this, that would be great, although if you don't, I can presumably solve it by quitting the other two sites. I was thinking about adding a fourth, for a location where we're going on holiday, but I think I won't for now!

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Wed 25-May-16 21:31:29

I think it's a good idea, but agree then staying hidden would be better!

SpidersFromMars Wed 25-May-16 22:07:09

If they are genuinely Most Active it makes sense. Older or less active posts in local shouldn't be prioritized over active ones, IMHO.

RueDeWakening Wed 25-May-16 22:22:09

I like having it there, and I've actually visited the Local board a few times since they started popping up and even posted a few times.

ProfYaffle Thu 26-May-16 09:33:15

I'm still having problems with local posts appearing despite the topic being hidden. Plus it's not even my local 'home' site, posts from another neighbouring area are appearing instead.

LocalEditorNottingham Thu 26-May-16 10:16:36

From the 'other side' of this, it's been fantastic so far - but clearly needs refining a bit.

Most Mumsnet users don't look at their local sites often and I imagine some don't know they're there. As a result it's sometimes difficult and slow for local posters to get answers, especially to very area-specific questions. I can work to attract new users within my locality, via Facebook, Twitter etc but can't do much to strengthen links with MN main board users. Integrating local talk better with the main board is the obvious thing to do, as there are just so many more users, from any locality, there.

Since this started, there have been a couple of very area-specific questions on my board, which have gained a number of useful answers, quickly. Hurrah!

I can see there needs to be some time-limit on local threads being shown. So perhaps only threads that have been posted on in the last three days or something - rather than the threads with the most recent comments, even if that was two weeks ago. That is a little circular of course, as without the wider audience, threads take longer to gain responses. There must be a happy-ish medium.

AuntieStella Thu 26-May-16 16:57:55

Can Tech have (yet another) look at this?

Because threads I hid repeatedly yesterday are appearing and reappearing again today (no new posts on them).

I thought I didn't mind seeing MN Local threads, but frankly if this is how it's going to be, does anyone know how to remove oneself from all Local boards?

Thurlow Thu 26-May-16 17:04:51

Agree that if it's genuinely an active conversation, which for local is within a few days, it's ok. But not if it's really old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now