Talk

Advanced search

For Archers fans: a guide to acronyms on the long-running discussion threads (and any other meta-thread questions you may have)

(25 Posts)
DadDadDad Thu 11-Apr-19 21:02:50

As a public service, let's use this thread to record anything that might be helpful to newcomers to the threads discussing The Archers. (You can find the latest thread by looking on the Radio Addicts page -> www.mumsnet.com/Talk/radio_addicts )

To stop this thread becoming unwieldy, I would suggest posts here are kept brief, either to ask about an acronym or to provide an answer. If you have questions about The Archers itself (characters, storylines etc), ask on the main threads: there are plenty of posters there with encyclopedic knowledge and / or strong opinions to answer!

Abbreviations

TA = The Archers

SW = scriptwriters

BOOP = (a reference to poster BitOutOfPractice following her suggestion of making positive comments alongside the negative), a way of "awarding" an episode a positive point for something that you liked.

TASWAMA = The Archers scriptwriters are misogynist arseholes

CMR = Russ (marking the time he introduced himself [to Elizabeth?] with "Call Me Russ")

It's often forgotten that standard MN acronyms can be found here -> www.mumsnet.com/info/acronyms

Smiley

Finally, to make the sign of The Bull archers, type [ archers ] without the spaces. It represents the community spirit of the threads discussing TA.

History

As a footnote, this might give you an insight into the discussion threads that have been running since 2013: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/radio_addicts/3510091-ONE-HUNDRED-NOT-OUT-come-here-to-mark-The-Archers-threads-a-MN-phenomenon (written Feb 2019)

thislido Thu 11-Apr-19 21:13:24

HWMNBN = Daryl

DadDadDad Thu 11-Apr-19 22:07:51

He Who Must Not Be Named [shocked]

JazzersMaw Mon 15-Apr-19 15:45:28

Re-CMR, the crucial point was it was a scene between the deputy head, Russ, and a student at the college, Freddie, in the office of the former. Freddie went to call him Mr Jones and he said ‘Call me Russ’.

Taswama Wed 17-Apr-19 18:24:48

JD - Jenny Darling

JoeGrundyIsMyR0leModel Thu 18-Apr-19 17:00:48

SATTC = Shake Ambridge To The Core, refers to cataclysmic events.

Knob = Rob Titchener, Helen's abusive husband.

Tiger = Lillian Bellamy's pet name for Matt Crawford

Pusscat = Matt Crawford's pet name for Lillian Bellamy

DadDadDad Thu 18-Apr-19 17:12:56

SATTC refers to the way the night of Nigel's death (and Henry's birth) was trailed by the editor at the time, as it was intended to mark a big anniversary of TA.

Not to be confused with...

SOTTMC = shuffle off this mortal coil, ie die (thanks, Shakespeare)

JoeGrundyIsMyR0leModel Fri 19-Apr-19 09:21:37

Could someone please explain why Christine is referred to as Auntie Cardboard?

DadDadDad Fri 19-Apr-19 10:31:30

I think Cardboard just references the flatness of her character / speech, and apparently predates these MN threads. (There use to be an active forum on the BBC website).

Found this reference:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/radio_addicts/a1871014-Big-Farma-in-Little-Ambridge-come-and-talk-The-Archers-talk#42538248

Acis Sat 20-Apr-19 10:50:03

Radio Susan = Susan Archer due to her tendency to broadcast everyone's personal affairs.

thislido Sun 21-Apr-19 06:51:30

Radio Carter wink

Acis Sun 21-Apr-19 09:04:34

The Dopeys: Ruth and David.

JoeGrundyIsMyR0leModel Sun 21-Apr-19 10:14:09

I think Cardboard just references the flatness of her character / speech, and apparently predates these MN threads. (There use to be an active forum on the BBC website).

Thanks DadDadDad. Was that the much missed Mustardland?

Supplementary question - why is the omnibus referred to as "the film"?

DadDadDad Sun 21-Apr-19 13:11:50

I believe it was indeed called Mustardland (sometimes referred to as ML), but it was never something I was part of.

The film = the Sunday omnibus, called that I vaguely remember by one poster's mum(?), I guess as a jokey reference to its length.

thislido Sun 21-Apr-19 21:59:25

Mustardland still exists.

JoeGrundyIsMyR0leModel Wed 24-Apr-19 15:20:54

So it does, thanks thislido
www.paranormal.org.uk/mustardland/index.php?sid=25bf442d0b1c8f715ef92b046678b663

I was confused, I thought it was Mustardland that disappeared when it was reported that the BBC weren't supporting an Archers chat forum

JoeGrundyIsMyR0leModel Thu 13-Jun-19 08:33:12

Piggoi/Peggoi = Peggy Woolley. So named by thread posters after her deceased second husband Jack Woolley who had a Birmingham accent.

DadDadDad Thu 13-Jun-19 16:02:35

Character names where spelling may not be obvious:

Lynda
Ruairi

Johnny
Woolley (Peggy's surname)
Brian
Noluthando
Alistair
Freddie

AskingQuestionsAllTheTime Fri 28-Jun-19 17:27:47

There is a list of nicknames and phrases used in Peet's Mustardland to be found at ambridgereporter.org.uk/nicknames.html
The names of the people who thought of them are there too, in brackets after them. Some go back to the BBC board, because a lot of the people in Peet's place were there first.

It's huge, and gets added to all the time.

I'm not saying that anyone ever needs to use them, but it's quite fun to read: some of them are very funny and inventive.

DadDadDad Fri 28-Jun-19 18:16:45

That's great, Asking. I've only read the 'A' section, and chuckled over Adolf Titchener, AggroTimical for Tim Oatey, and Baby Cheesus for Henry. (OK I got to the first 'B' and that's where I stopped).

grin

Ghostontoast Sun 30-Jun-19 16:41:04

I got as far as B for Broody and Moody (Ian and Adam!)

JoeGrundyIsMyR0leModel Fri 23-Aug-19 14:23:23

"making Neil a chilli". Refers to an (in)famous culinary scene preceding an act of intimacy between Neil and Susan.

AskingQuestionsAllTheTime Mon 09-Sep-19 11:54:51

The Reporter list has "Chilli con Carnal", which was what the continuity announcer after the episode said that Susan had offered to Neil.

Maybe Eggy (Alan Smith) is a Bristolian, or now lives in Bristol, or something.

DadDadDad Sat 02-Nov-19 09:25:57

Another character who's name I had to look up for spelling:
Jakob (the vet, pronounce "Yakob").

DadDadDad Sat 02-Nov-19 09:26:43

oof, whose not who's

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »