Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can our neighbours dictate our builder's working hours?

(28 Posts)
ThisOneNoThatOne Sat 07-Jan-17 20:29:12

We're due to start on an extension and the Party Wall Award has just been completed. However, the award mentions construction and noise times- these aren't the same as our builder's hours.

Our builder wants to work between 8-6pm on weekdays and 8-3pm on Saturdays. The times that have been specified within the Party Wall Award are between 8:30- 5pm on weekdays and 8:30- 1pm on Saturdays. I know it's not a huge difference but it's a big project and these hours will add up over 8 months. I think our neighbours have requested these hours, as when they objected to our planning permission they mentioned that they wanted noise to be kept to a minimum.

Our council website used to specify construction times, but I can't find this on the website any more. I'm pretty sure our builder's hours are in line with what used to be on the council website. Does anyone know if there is anything we can do? Or do we have to go with what is on the Award?

Thanks

Nightmanagerfan Sat 07-Jan-17 20:32:09

I think it's pretty standard not to allow building work noise e.g. Power tools after 1pm on a Saturday

Testificateman Sat 07-Jan-17 20:33:59

Best way to find out is to phone your council and ask them. Different councils have different rules.

NotThrowAwayMyShot Sat 07-Jan-17 20:34:32

I'd say it was standard & im surprised builders will work on single time for those hours.

I work for a construction firm & we have to pay time and a half before 8.30am & after 4.30pm & Saturday mornings & double time on Saturdays after 12.30

lovelearning Sat 07-Jan-17 20:35:39

The times that have been specified within the Party Wall Award are between 8:30- 5pm on weekdays and 8:30- 1pm on Saturdays.

Stick to the hours

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Sat 07-Jan-17 20:35:48

yep law that you cant disturb people after 1 pm on a Saturday - a particularly needed break if they have to endure hard building all week and want to relax themselves on a weekend?

LIZS Sat 07-Jan-17 20:35:56

Did you need pp, as working hours are often stipulated on that. Presumably builders can be there earlier/later but just not do noisy work. Deliveries may be restricted too.

5OBalesofHay Sat 07-Jan-17 20:36:47

Why not keep it friendly and work with them?

Ciutadella Sat 07-Jan-17 20:37:31

I think (not sure) our local authority is 1pm on Saturday - think that is specified on some planning permission grants as well here. Did your planning permission say anything about hours?
But in any case do you mean your surveyors have agreed the Party Wall Award - if so, you have to abide by it don't you, regardless of what the local authority regs are?

GherkinsOnToast Sat 07-Jan-17 20:37:35

We had the exact hours on our agreement. Our builders turned up at 8 most mornings but once they'd had a cuppa, got their tools out etc it was 8.30. A 5pm finish wasn't unusual, they tended to knock off at 4.30 ish when light faded at this time of year, in the summer they stayed until 5. I think it's only fair if people are home that the builders aren't in making a racket 6 days a week, especially on Saturday when the neighbours may want to spend time in their gardens.

TheAntiBoop Sat 07-Jan-17 20:42:54

Where we are builders noise only allowed 8-5 weekdays and 8-1 Saturday. Builders downed tools at 5 generally answered gone around half past after tidying and changing etc.

Quiet work (eg painting) was ok outside that

was it the builders who wanted to work the longer hours or pp?

ThisOneNoThatOne Sat 07-Jan-17 20:50:26

Thanks

The builders want to work the longer hours and when they told me the hours they wanted to work (a couple of months ago) I checked our council's website and I'm pretty certain they matched those hours otherwise I would have asked the builder to amend them. However I've gone into the website today but there aren't any specific hours mentioned any more. There's nothing on our planning permission.

The builder only works in our area so if those are standard hours I guess he must be used to working within them. I'll give the council a call on Monday though.

Ciutadella Sat 07-Jan-17 20:56:36

But even if the council say longer hours are possible, the shorter ones are now in the Party Wall Award - if that's been made it is binding on you isn't it?

JillyTheDependableBoot Sat 07-Jan-17 20:57:31

Honestly, you'll be very lucky if your builder works those hours anyway. Our neighbours have been incredibly accommodating while phase 1 of our build was happening (we weren't living there) and there were only a handful of Saturdays when any noisy work was done.

Lunar1 Sat 07-Jan-17 21:00:36

If it's your neighbours that wanted the alterations why can't you go with it. You will be disturbing them 6 days a week for 8 months. I think you need to be a little flexible.

Ciutadella Sat 07-Jan-17 21:04:21

"If it's your neighbours that wanted the alterations why can't you go with it?"

Even more fundamentally, op already has gone with it hasn't s/he? - in the sense that the Award is binding on op (unless it's still in draft and she's been asked to comment before it's finalised, that is). If it's final, isn't it too late to change?

beanfilledfish Sat 07-Jan-17 21:09:50

8am on a saturday morning would really bug me!

ThisOneNoThatOne Sat 07-Jan-17 21:11:58

It has been finilised now but I didn't see I draft. I didn't realise they were able to stipulate working hours, I thought the council set them. We'll have to go with it.

Ciutadella Sat 07-Jan-17 21:20:50

Did you each have your own surveyors or was it a joint surveyor for the Party Wall Award?

The hours your neighbour has asked for are not at all outrageous - but in any case they're not dictating them - the surveyor has either decided them himself, or agreed to them.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Sat 07-Jan-17 21:28:52

Your neighbours are going to have to put up with your noise 6 days out of 7. That is horrible for them. I'm amazed you are going to be working on a Saturday and expecting them to live with the noise. It is totally unreasonable.

ThisOneNoThatOne Sat 07-Jan-17 21:33:32

Yes I guess 'dictating' was the wrong word! It was a shared surveyor.

I've just checked our planning permission and times are on there- they're in line with the hours the builder wants to work- apart from Saturday which is 8-1pm.

But then again there's a contradictory line in our Award that also says no weekend work at all..

Our builder seems fair and reasonable so hopefully he won't mind working the shorter hours.

ThisOneNoThatOne Sat 07-Jan-17 21:35:06

madame But they're the hours that the council set. If they are unreasonable why do the council and environmental health allow it?

Artandco Sat 07-Jan-17 21:41:02

8am on a Saturday would really piss me off. All of us including kids usually still asleep then or want a quiet morning to read or relax after a week of work.

If it was my party wall I wouldn't agree to any time on a Saturday at all.

TheAntiBoop Sat 07-Jan-17 21:43:45

The thing to remember is that you will be living next do to these people for who knows how many years.

We asked our builders to keep noise to a minimum on weekends out of consideration. It didn't add any time to our build luckily!

hugoagogo Sat 07-Jan-17 21:49:24

Could you step back for a minute and see your neighbour's point of view?

Your building work will have a negative impact on their day to day lives even if you keep within the hours that are in the agreement.

It is also likely to have a long term impact on your relationship if you aren't considerate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now