Talk

Advanced search

I know, I know: reading levels in Year 2

(84 Posts)
IknowIknowIknow Thu 14-May-15 17:29:35

I KNOW you shouldn't compare, and children develop at different paces etc etc, but would you mind sharing what reading level (Oxford Reading Tree, with numerical levels, not the colours) your Year 2 child is on, and what month their birthday is?

NickySummerbee Thu 14-May-15 17:35:00

Why do you ask?

You can look up the "standard' levels for each age group on google, I have checked it out in the past.

CunfuddledAlways Thu 14-May-15 17:36:04

Mine is year one and is almost.finished level 5 books born April, I realise this is a year behind but may help a little

littleflick Thu 14-May-15 17:36:15

Early July birthday. Finished ORT books in Year 1. Free reader in Year 2.

MimsyBorogroves Thu 14-May-15 17:36:42

Mine's a May baby, he's a free reader. Has been since last November. however he still can't cope with number bonds or anything else mathematical

IknowIknowIknow Thu 14-May-15 17:46:32

Nicky - because I am nosey and can't / won't ask people I know about their children because then it turns into a competitive thing. So much easier asking anonymously grin. I've seen the standard thing suggesting what level is usual for what age. But just wondering what the real span is like.

IknowIknowIknow Thu 14-May-15 17:49:23

What level counts as 'free reader'? This chart seems to suggest that there are levels all the way up to Y6!

WalkingThePlank Thu 14-May-15 17:52:58

Reading Chest has a guide to book bands and ages.

Most answers here will be boasts about very young children being free readers.

One of my DSs is in Yr2 and I'm not aware of them using book bands anymore. Not sure why.

Passthecake30 Thu 14-May-15 17:54:07

Ds, april bday, gold -level 10. He has been slow to learn and now he's at a stage where I am obsessing less.

elmwoo Thu 14-May-15 17:56:59

Hi, so my son year 2 has progressed well this year after a very slow start and has just been put on stage 9, he struggled for ages then all of a sudden it sort of ' clicked' and he seems to be enjoying reading now which I great .

Mandzi34 Thu 14-May-15 17:57:37

DD, now in Year 3 finished Year 2 on Lime/Brown and was a level 3B. I don't know how that translates with ORT levels etc. She's a July baby. DD now in Year 5 is an August baby and was a 2B, gold reading books at that stage. That changed dramatically in Year 3 for him though, so it's hard to compare.

HowDoesThatWork Thu 14-May-15 17:58:17

My eldest was ~level 8 at end of year 2.

Now, he is in Year 9 and has won the Nobel prize for literature and produces In Our Time.

elmwoo Thu 14-May-15 18:00:20

Sport forgot to say that he was born in November

HowDoesThatWork Thu 14-May-15 18:06:52

Ah, February born.

siblingrevelryagain Thu 14-May-15 18:07:59

My son (end of August born) is now on stage 9.

His brother who is now in year 3 finished year 3 on stage 8 if I recall correctly.

Neither have been natural readers and at times it has been painful. But now they seem to have it sorted and are progressing.

It's a bummer when the rest of the class seem to be onto war and peace, but if you actually looked at the class as a whole it varies considerably.

WipsGlitter Thu 14-May-15 18:08:21

How old is y2 (different system here but we use the same books).

siblingrevelryagain Thu 14-May-15 18:27:15

Age 6/7

ShelaghTurner Thu 14-May-15 18:32:52

January born DD1 is on white which is level 10 I think. No idea how she compares to other children in her year but she seems to be doing ok to me.

Tapasfairy Thu 14-May-15 18:33:49

My year one ( sept born) level 14. That's not normal though.

The top year twos in the school ( dd benchmarks) are on level 12. The majority are around 9/ 10 though.

holmessweetholmes Thu 14-May-15 18:33:56

Ds (yr 2) is a free reader, so no longer doing banded readers. His birthday is in April.

SockPinchingMonster Thu 14-May-15 18:44:45

May born twins in year 2. Ds - Level 13, dd - Level 14. I know there is a huge range of different levels amongst the year 2's in their school though, some still on level 3/4 - a couple level 16.

Tapasfairy Thu 14-May-15 18:47:07

Oh I envy that...you never leave the reading scheme at our school...time will tell if that gives a lovely variety of books or...a pile of shit.

Heels99 Thu 14-May-15 18:48:01

Winter bRon. Free reading all year. Lowest level in class is purple. Can't remember what number that is, 8? 9?

Pikkewyn Thu 14-May-15 18:49:00

My end of August baby is a free reader and has been since the end of Yr 1. She started yr 1 on level 4 and suddenly it clicked at about Feb half term.

The levels in their class vary from level 5 to free readers.

NickySummerbee Thu 14-May-15 19:08:20

On right OP. Just nosiness is fine, I just was worried that you were an anxious parent about to get a deluge of 'my August born boy has been a free reader since Reception'.

June born DC is a free reader, which seems to mean being allowed to bring home endless Rainbow Fairies books...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: