Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby shivering/shaking inside the womb anyone had experience? I'm being sent to see a consultant.

(19 Posts)
mrswee Mon 06-Jul-09 12:52:48

I am 28 weeks tomorrow
I woke up last night on the sofa, and I was laying on my side, the baby felt like it was shaking inside me, it didn't last long maybe 30 seconds. It was such a wierd feeling it was like she was shivering/shaking or almost like a seizure type movement.

I had this a couple of weeks ago too but was half asleep and thought it couldn't be what it felt like but now that I had it again last night I know it was the baby shaking and not just me!

I had my 28 week MW app today and told her about it, She had never heard of anyone else saying they had felt this so has booked me in for a consultant app in 10 days.

She said that babies (after they are born) can shake if they have low blood pressure or low blood sugar.

I have googled this shaking in the womb feeling and thankfully no horror stories but a few people have said they have also felt this, some said their baby had shaking episodes a few times after birth too. No one knew why it had happened though.

anyone else had this? I'm trying not to worry!!

thanks

Picante Mon 06-Jul-09 12:55:10

I've had some funny movements that feel like jelly wobbling/shaking. I wouldn't worry too much but I'll be watching this thread!

LionstarBigPants Mon 06-Jul-09 12:57:52

I'm also 28 weeks and this is one seriously wriggly baby. It does have some periods of pretty intensive movement where my whole belly wobbles/shakes - very disconcerting. Haven't been too alarmed by it as movement generally is ressuring. Am seriously hoping that it won't be this wriggly once out!

I'm sure everything is fine, but bonus points to your midwife for taking you seriously and arranging a consult to relieve your fears. Good luck!

YanknCock Mon 06-Jul-09 18:38:43

Mine did this weird 'quivering' thing that sounds like what you're describing. A few other people on MN said they'd had it too. No idea what it is, but it's not hiccups, because the one time he had those it was much more of a rhythmic twitchy feeling.

The quivering thing happened quite a few times, but I never thought to mention it to the MW. Am 33 weeks now, and I don't think it's happened for a few weeks.

Let us know what the consultant says, I'm curious!

AitchTwoOh Mon 06-Jul-09 18:49:15

try not to panic, if you do a search on here you'll definitely find threads about this, everyone's baby was fine. i remember one from last year, i'd try to find it for you but i have to get the tea out.

merryberry Mon 06-Jul-09 19:11:48

a neurologist mate from my old career said she thought hers were part of normal development of brain and reflexes...i guess test-firing shivers and shakes and whatnot. certainly not unusual or problematic

tinierclanger Mon 06-Jul-09 19:13:40

Well certainly DS used to quiver occasionally and he is fine! Think it may be the same thing but good that you are being checked out.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 06-Jul-09 19:17:58

Quivers with DD, also v kicky, she is 6 months old now and absolutely fine. Sounds like MW just wants to make sure.

Supercherry Mon 06-Jul-09 19:23:20

I know this sounds odd but I used to get a similar feeling when carrying DS, and it wasn't until he was born that we knew what it was.... it was his foot sort of tapping really fast and rhythmically, almost spasm like. The best way I can think of to describe it is like that thing that rabbits do with their feet. I promise I'm not joking. He used to do it when he was a baby but doesn't do it anymore.

I am sure you have nothing to worry about.

mrswee Mon 06-Jul-09 19:33:47

thanks for your answers!

It does seem that this has happened to others and it is a bonus that I am getting checked out properly. I will let you know what the consultant says

mogend77 Mon 06-Jul-09 19:57:30

Don't worry! I remember this from last time (not felt it yet with this one) and all my NCT group plus lots of people on my birth board at the time felt it too. It is believed to be the baby practising its startle reflex.

mrswee Tue 07-Jul-09 14:09:30

I think what made me worry more was the midwife had not heard of it - she's been a midwife for about 25 years! But then again it's better than her having heard of it and it being something bad!

It's interesting to hear all your experiances

lastboxoftampons Tue 07-Jul-09 17:22:45

I've also had something similar to what you describe, as had Sorky on the Wagon antenatal thread. It was like a spasm almost - if I looked down at my belly when it was happening, it was almost like I was panting, but it wasn't me, it was much tinier, and much more localized. Sorky said she was told it's part of normal neurological development, much like merryberry.

I'm sure we're all fine! grin But do let us know how you get on with the consultant.

fettle Tue 07-Jul-09 17:51:51

Hi all

just to reassure you I had these weird vibrations. Very disconcerting when happening!! Mentioned it to MW who I think thought I was mad!!!grin as she had never heard of it either but thought probably nothing to worry about.

DS is a perfectly healthy 21mth old
now! But certainly no harm to double check everything. Good to have a proactive MW

Good luck!

Longtalljosie Tue 07-Jul-09 22:23:50

Yes I've had it too - had it quite a lot around 32 weeks but then it sort of settled down. Reading this thread is quite reassuring smile

PinkyMinxy Tue 07-Jul-09 22:28:35

I had this with DD1, and she did it after she was born, too. Is was quite like a startle refelx. SHe is and was absolutely fine. SHe's 2.5 now smile

tigerbump Wed 08-Jul-09 16:21:30

i've had this start at around 31 weeks, probably at least once a day we call it the baby wobble as you say its like my stomach is in spasm. doesn't last long but my Gyne consultant told me all normal. i know what you mean it does feel strange.

sbeech Tue 08-Sep-09 11:35:30

I have had the shakey feeling in my belly quite a lot during this pregnancy, its my 2nd, I didnt during my 1st. Its like a spasm or 'fit' that the baby is having, very strange so very reasurring to know that I'm not the only one. I'm 37 weeks now and it was happening more before now as seems to have calmed down a bit!!

ErikaMaye Tue 08-Sep-09 11:55:07

Oh its not just me then?!?! Thank goodness - I totally forgot to mention to MW this was happening blush Damn pregnancy brain. It litterally feels like he's vibrating in there sometimes!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now